TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Did Tesla Change this Again? (P85D - Ludicrous Offer)

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by tstafford, Oct 27, 2015.

1. tstafford

tstafford Supporting Member

I wish someone would drive one of these loaner cars with Ludicrous and post some comments!

2. sorka

sorka Well-Known Member

If they limit the duration of the power increase to less than 2.8 seconds, it would still improve 0-60 but not 1/4 mile. But that would also imply more power at any speed but limited in duration. So at the very least, passing power would still be improved.

My bet though is that they're just being very conservative and that the 1/4 time will still be improved above the 0-60 time.

3. LetsGoFast

LetsGoFast Active Member

My service center doesn't even have any autopilot loaners! As of yesterday, they still had no idea when they were going to start doing upgrades although they did mention that I could go ahead and get on the list by going to the website!

4. Cyclone

Cyclone Cyclonic Member ((.oO))

Wow. I've had four loaners from my Service Center (well five, but two times I got the same car) and three of them had AP, a S60 and two P85s. The P85+ loaner I had didn't have AP.

5. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

Nice work Tesla. Combine this with the Android app improvements, the removal of the HP numbers from the website. It seems like now that Autopilot is out in the wild, they finally have the time to go back and tie up some loose ends.

6. 3mp_kwh

3mp_kwh Active Member

Yes, this^. It is why some of us are hoping for bracketed roll-on tests. I think it was WK057 who indicated the rapid heat build-up implied by the high current discharge. It makes complete sense, that thermal or time limits are at play, and that 60-80mph during a 1/4, and 60-80mph alone, could yield different results. Then, there's what becomes of the Motor Trend (2.6/10.9) revelation, whether it can be repeated, and if P85D stays ".2" behind.

7. sorka

sorka Well-Known Member

Or it stays 0.5 seconds behind. P85D now 11.6 - 0.2 = 11.4 vs P90DL = now 11.5 - (MT ringer) 0.6 = 10.9

11.4 - 10.9 = 0.5 seconds.

8. InsaneDriver

InsaneDriver Member

In the email I received they make it very clear, a P85D with Ludicrous upgrade does not equal a P90D Ludicrous:

The upgrade represents an estimated 10% increase in power over the already insane P85D and provides a 0.2 second improvement over both the 0-60 mph and the quarter mile time versus the performance of your current Model S. Please note the retrofit does not offer the exact performance spec as a new P90D.

9. P85DEE

P85DEE Active Member

They've been saying that since shortly after it came out back in late September.

10. onesixeight

onesixeight Member

Does anyone know if there is any change that I can get the upgrade if I'm purchase a P85D inventory car? I'm still trying to figure out what's the exact build date and if it might be before the Ludicrous announcement.

Keeping my fingers crossed that maybe Tesla will let me do the $5k upgrade :)

11. liuping

liuping Active Member

From the Tesla store webpage (Tesla Accessories and Charging Adapters LUDICROUS MODE ONLY (P85D) - PRE ORDER DEPOSIT), is does not sound like cars purchased now qualify for the Ludicrous upgrade:

"The LUDICROUS speed option will be available as a retrofit to all P85D customers with original vehicle orders placed before 11am PST Friday 7/17
    "

Though technically it does not say 7/17 of what year :rolleyes:

12. sorka

sorka Well-Known Member

You're taking lessons from folks that say the P85D *has* 691 hp even though it doesn't *produce* 691 hp :tongue: