Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla Change this Again? (P85D - Ludicrous Offer)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will echo what has been said before and unanswered: how can a 10% increase in power improve the 0-60 time and not the quarter mile time? I wrote to Tesla and asked this question and got the same quote from the webpage. I am at least a little more tempted to have it done than I was before. Still haven't put down my deposit. But maybe I should live up to the license plate that I have on the car!

If they limit the duration of the power increase to less than 2.8 seconds, it would still improve 0-60 but not 1/4 mile. But that would also imply more power at any speed but limited in duration. So at the very least, passing power would still be improved.

My bet though is that they're just being very conservative and that the 1/4 time will still be improved above the 0-60 time.

The latter was likely. I asked because I didn't see any cars underlined out there and they said they had applied it, by didn't have the underline in stock to add it yet. So it quite likely was a training scenario. But that would mean Dania Beach is likely to be a service center that does the upgrades.

My service center doesn't even have any autopilot loaners! As of yesterday, they still had no idea when they were going to start doing upgrades although they did mention that I could go ahead and get on the list by going to the website!

My service center doesn't even have any autopilot loaners! As of yesterday, they still had no idea when they were going to start doing upgrades although they did mention that I could go ahead and get on the list by going to the website!

Wow. I've had four loaners from my Service Center (well five, but two times I got the same car) and three of them had AP, a S60 and two P85s. The P85+ loaner I had didn't have AP.

Yep, looks like they did.

Gone is the $2500.00 labor cost.

But I agree that 5 grand is still steep for 0.2 seconds improvement in 0-60 times AND quarter mile time. If it does improve mid range performance though, it might be worth it to me.

Nice work Tesla. Combine this with the Android app improvements, the removal of the HP numbers from the website. It seems like now that Autopilot is out in the wild, they finally have the time to go back and tie up some loose ends.

If they limit the duration of the power increase to less than 2.8 seconds, it would still improve 0-60 but not 1/4 mile. But that would also imply more power at any speed but limited in duration. So at the very least, passing power would still be improved.

Yes, this^. It is why some of us are hoping for bracketed roll-on tests. I think it was WK057 who indicated the rapid heat build-up implied by the high current discharge. It makes complete sense, that thermal or time limits are at play, and that 60-80mph during a 1/4, and 60-80mph alone, could yield different results. Then, there's what becomes of the Motor Trend (2.6/10.9) revelation, whether it can be repeated, and if P85D stays ".2" behind.

Yes, this^. It is why some of us are hoping for bracketed roll-on tests. I think it was WK057 who indicated the rapid heat build-up implied by the high current discharge. It makes complete sense, that thermal or time limits are at play, and that 60-80mph during a 1/4, and 60-80mph alone, could yield different results. Then, there's what becomes of the Motor Trend (2.6/10.9) revelation, whether it can be repeated, and if P85D stays ".2" behind.

Or it stays 0.5 seconds behind. P85D now 11.6 - 0.2 = 11.4 vs P90DL = now 11.5 - (MT ringer) 0.6 = 10.9

11.4 - 10.9 = 0.5 seconds.

In the email I received they make it very clear, a P85D with Ludicrous upgrade does not equal a P90D Ludicrous:

The upgrade represents an estimated 10% increase in power over the already insane P85D and provides a 0.2 second improvement over both the 0-60 mph and the quarter mile time versus the performance of your current Model S. Please note the retrofit does not offer the exact performance spec as a new P90D.

In the email I received they make it very clear, a P85D with Ludicrous upgrade does not equal a P90D Ludicrous:

The upgrade represents an estimated 10% increase in power over the already insane P85D and provides a 0.2 second improvement over both the 0-60 mph and the quarter mile time versus the performance of your current Model S. Please note the retrofit does not offer the exact performance spec as a new P90D.

They've been saying that since shortly after it came out back in late September.

Does anyone know if there is any change that I can get the upgrade if I'm purchase a P85D inventory car? I'm still trying to figure out what's the exact build date and if it might be before the Ludicrous announcement.

Keeping my fingers crossed that maybe Tesla will let me do the $5k upgrade :)
From the Tesla store webpage (Tesla Accessories and Charging Adapters LUDICROUS MODE ONLY (P85D) - PRE ORDER DEPOSIT), is does not sound like cars purchased now qualify for the Ludicrous upgrade:

"The LUDICROUS speed option will be available as a retrofit to all P85D customers with original vehicle orders placed before 11am PST Friday 7/17
"

Though technically it does not say 7/17 of what year :rolleyes: