Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla deliver what was promised to AP1 cars in the 8.0 update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So in the past few weeks, we have all been quite distracted with the AP2 announcements, etc, etc. However, I am wondering if Tesla has delivered what was originally promised to AP1 cars when they announced 8.0. More so, I am wondering if the following feature really works -> Take an exit when you turn on the indicator? I know there are some more features promised for AP1 cars in the 8.1 update but the above feature (exit when you turn non the indicator) does not seem to work in the 8.0 software update.

It works for me...at only one place. And it's not an exit leaving the highway, rather a cloverleaf entrance from a surface street to get on the interstate. All of the other exits I've tried it on don't work.

There is supposed to be additional functionality on this rumored to be in v8.1...

The take the exit feature to a new freeway is supposed to be an 8.1 feature.

Personally, I think 8.0 is a mixed bag. The AP is not appreciably improved. I think it is worse now than the second rev after 7.1, IMO. I have much less confidence in it now due to wandering and the very frightening zig zag while coming over a crest. Scares the crap out of me and my passengers.

I do like the media interface for streaming. But the USB interface is SO DAMN BAD that I simply do not listen to my USB songs anymore, which is a huge disappointment. I spent many hours and days loading WAV files on two 128GB sticks so I would have better sound. But now, it is practically impossible for me to find what I want while driving due to the early 80's interface. It's like going back to MSDOS. A huge fail, IMO, as many have said.

Reactions: davidc18
Well they are obviously still making changes...they have now limited non divided roadway operation to a worthless 0 mph over the posted speed limit. I'm guessing the next update will reduce its value completely to zero to spur AP2.0 sales
For all we know that was a nod to regulators. I think if it were up to Elon there wouldn't be many restrictions.

When Elon first announced Autopilot, the thing I was most excited about was Summon. Here's how he described it at the time:

> You'll be able to summon the car if you're on private property (you have to be on private property). You can actually summon the car and the car will come to wherever you are.

My understanding when I heard this was that the car would come get you in situations where no public roads or public access ways were needed. For example, the car would leave a parking garage to meet you outside the mall, or it would travel from an overflow lot to a ski lodge so you didn't have to walk in the cold.

It's clear that the AP1 sensor suite cannot do this entirely independently, but with HD GPS mapping of private property, I think this is still possible in many situations, chiefly those in which no vehicles move in excess of 15 MPH, and the car can stop instantaneously for anything in the range of the ultrasonics.

I am concerned that with AP2 hardware already out, the willpower to finish that buildout on AP1 will diminish. It'll be faster, safer, and more business savvy to do it on the new hardware and end new feature development on the old suite. Some anecdotes have come out in the last few weeks that reinforce this. Elon said they were "almost reaching the limits" of the AP1 suite "in term of macro, major improvements." And on the new Autopilot page, which discusses the AP2 possibilities, Tesla now talks of "Smart Summon," whose description is less featureful than what Elon described above at the AP1 event.

I love my Model S, and I love Autopilot. But Summon is still very far from what was promised, and nobody at Tesla has given us indication that a major improvement is coming. I hope they'll prove my pessimism here is misplaced and deliver what was promised.

Last edited:
I'm expecting the unfulfilled promises of AP1.0 to pale in comparison to the upcoming disappointment of AP2.0. I hope I'm wrong and will be first in the trade-in line if I am...but I see storm clouds in 2017. $5000 and $8000 over-promise pitchforks are much sharper than $2500 pitchforks. ;)
Ah, but with AP2 there are a lot more implied features (example from Design Studio "Please note that using a self-driving Tesla for car sharing and ride-hailing for friends is fine...") rather than explicit promises, and then they are all covered with "It not possible to know when each element of the functionality will be available". So, 2017, 2018, or even 2050, you will never have a hard claim. Does the quote "It's coming sooner than you think" sound familiar? ;-)

Like you, I hope I'm wrong and will buy the EAP+FSD at post delivery prices when it does everything they promised. I would buy it now, and even an extra car if Tesla was to extend bumper to bumper warranty until I can enjoy all the promised and implied features. For now, I hope they get the blind spot monitoring working reliably this time, but that's a safety feature rather than EAP or FSD.

Reactions: davidc18