Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla deliver what was promised to AP1 cars in the 8.0 update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was on the Tesla internet page when AP/dual motor was released.

autopilot_summon.JPG

This was on the Tesla internet page when AP/dual motor was released.

View attachment 206089
Like I said, it's been a moving target with a lot of promises left unfullied. The page you are showing was changed a few times to include additional Summon "features". Here's a couple of Musk quotes from Road and Track and Car and Driver.

How Tesla Motors plans to end EV "range anxiety"

"REMOTE VEHICLE SUMMONING
Musk also says you'll soon be able to summon your car remotely. "Only on private property because it's not legal," Musk says. With the app, you can tell your car to come meet you at your door, or send it back to the garage after you've disembarked, all from a smartphone app."

Tesla Software Update Brings Auto Steering, “Ends” Range Anxiety, and Lets You Summon Car With Smartphone

"And when Version 7 software makes Autopilot available, Musk promises it will make possible something we’ve seen only in Batman and James Bond movies: A self-driving car that comes straight to you when summoned by your smartphone. Musk insists that the feature will “only work on private property, because it’s not legal” otherwise, but it still sounds amazingly cool. As the CEO describes it, the Model S’s ultrasonic sensors allow it to drive itself from its parking spot to pick you up at your front door and to return to its garage after it has dropped you off at the entrance. Thanks to those ultrasonic sensors and Autopilot, “the car can navigate in the dark,” Musk says. “We could theoretically have the car navigate an underground parking garage.”"

Remember, these are just "Summon" promises above. They also promised stop light and stop sign recognition as part of AP which we never got and off ramp exits; the later is supposed to come in v8.1 if Nav is enabled.

Reactions: davidc18
It makes me sad to remember how far the actual result has fallen from the original vision. It's sobering to remember this when thinking of the promises being made now about full autonomy. Hype sucks.
Exactly. On the bright side, AP2 will very likely be incrementally better than AP1. It has more sensors and more processing power, therefore higher potential, though in most expert opinions still not enough sensors for driverless operation. It will still have the usual disclaimers how the driver must be able to take over at any time as they are ultimately responsible. I think if it fulfills all of AP1 promises, it should be considered a complete sucess. On the down side, since AP2 will likely perform even better than AP1, it will require more nags to keep the driver from disengaging.

Then there will be AP3, new hype, yet another set of improvements over few years. Tesla is making great progress, but nowhere near the hype.

Exactly. On the bright side, AP2 will very likely be incrementally better than AP1. It has more sensors and more processing power, therefore higher potential, though in most expert opinions still not enough sensors for driverless operation. It will still have the usual disclaimers how the driver must be able to take over at any time as they are ultimately responsible. I think if it fulfills all of AP1 promises, it should be considered a complete sucess. On the down side, since AP2 will likely perform even better than AP1, it will require more nags to keep the driver from disengaging.

Then there will be AP3, new hype, yet another set of improvements over few years. Tesla is making great progress, but nowhere near the hype.
AP2 has a chance of delivering on AP1 promises, but not any more. Just keep that in mind when you hand over $8000 for "full self driving". I GUARANTEE it will not get approved to do so. In fact, I doubt that it even gets approved to do demo'd things in clear weather, like navigate stop signs. All you have to do is look at the delivered hardware vs what was shown in the demo to understand this claim.

AP2 has a chance of delivering on AP1 promises, but not any more. Just keep that in mind when you hand over $8000 for "full self driving". I GUARANTEE it will not get approved to do so. In fact, I doubt that it even gets approved to do demo'd things in clear weather, like navigate stop signs. All you have to do is look at the delivered hardware vs what was shown in the demo to understand this claim.

Yeah, that demo...

It seemed everyone else watched it and thought, wow almost ready. I was just shaking my head that they would start taking people's money when the system is at that level...clear day, low speed...the car comes to a stop for joggers on a sidewalk?! Not encouraging

Yeah, that demo...

It seemed everyone else watched it and thought, wow almost ready. I was just shaking my head that they would start taking people's money when the system is at that level...clear day, low speed...the car comes to a stop for joggers on a sidewalk?! Not encouraging
Not speaking to that specific situation, but keep in mind that if autonomous driving is to improve on the abysmal human safety record, it cannot be expected to emulate human driving behavior. In other words, in situations where humans believe they are fully in control, they are in fact taking a very small (0.1-0.001%) risk, but a computer should not be permitted to take that risk.

Not speaking to that specific situation, but keep in mind that if autonomous driving is to improve on the abysmal human safety record, it cannot be expected to emulate human driving behavior. In other words, in situations where humans believe they are fully in control, they are in fact taking a very small (0.1-0.001%) risk, but a computer should not be permitted to take that risk.

I hear what you are saying, but until all cars are autonomous, the risk of that car being rear-ended stopping in the middle of the road is very non-zero.

I like Elon Musk but I purchased the car based on Tesla's specs, as stated by Elon in the above conversations, none of which have been implemented. The new firmware keeps reducing features. I'm not very happy with Tesla at this point.