Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla ever make a MX without AP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah, I didn’t realize you were talking about an S since this was an X thread. All X’s had to pay for AP. You are entirely correct, but the window of time for free AP was only a month or two, not really a factor, more like luck of the Tesla production gods.

The window of time for "free" AP was somewhat more than a month or two...from the introduction of AP1 hardware in November-ish 2014 to the time the "tech package" was discontinued in late March or early April 2015.

As you pointed out, that's irrelevant to the Model X because all of those dates predate the production of the Model X.

Bruce.

Reactions: OrbiterTI4
It isn't even relegated to AP1 hardware. I have an AP2 hardware that doesn't have AP enabled; except for every 6 months or so when it gives me a free trial to get me to buy.

That being said, my AP2 hardware - non AP enabled car has an Autopilot menu option or did at one point. It's been a while since I hunted for it; but I distinctly remembered one software update where it showed up and I got excited that I may had gotten AP for free. I did not. So don't rely on the menu/navigation column. But if you ask for a picture of that screen, you should see autopilot options within that menu. If you see those options, it has autopilot. Otherwise, that screen would only display the option to purchase autopilot.