Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla ever make a MX without AP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Theres a used MX that I am looking at and from what I know about AP in the menu of my recently departed MS it doesn't have it. Is the MX menu different? Does it truly not have AP? I thought all MX's at least came with AP or better hardware.

Thanks in advance.

Theres a used MX that I am looking at and from what I know about AP in the menu of my recently departed MS it doesn't have it. Is the MX menu different? Does it truly not have AP? I thought all MX's at least came with AP or better hardware.

Thanks in advance.
ALL MX have AP. AP was introduced in ALL cars manufactured after September 18 2014.. Comes with AP1 for no charge.

NOT true.... I own two that I never paid for. AP1 WAS free when introduced. They didn't start charging for it till later. In fact it just started coming on with Version 7 in October of 2015.

Every MX came with AP1 hardware, but you had to pay to enable, just like the MS at the time. The AP costs were the same across MS and MX. Speaking from an owner that reserved/configured an X w/ AP in May2016 and took delivery Sep2016.

NOT true.... I own two that I never paid for. AP1 WAS free when introduced. They didn't start charging for it till later. In fact it just started coming on with Version 7 in October of 2015.

But they're talking about Model X. It was free with Model S because the software wasn't released until Version 7 but started being included as hardware in Fall of 2014.

Model X always had at least AP1 hardware. But to my knowledge, it was never included as free software. But maybe it was for people who reserved one far enough in advance (e.g., before Fall of 2014 (Signature models)) with deliveries starting in Fall 2015.

But they're talking about Model X. It was free with Model S because the software wasn't released until Version 7 but started being included as hardware in Fall of 2014.

Model X always had at least AP1 hardware. But to my knowledge, it was never included as free software. But maybe it was for people who reserved one far enough in advance (e.g., before Fall of 2014 (Signature models)) with deliveries starting in Fall 2015.

Im not sure but a friend has Model X with free AP but truth is tesla changes everything so often who knows? LOL I do know all X had ap hardware.

• Informative
Reactions: alexdav
Here is my saved config from January 2016. It shows I was charged $2500 for autopilot.

temp.jpg

That sounds right. If I remember correctly once the software rolled out they started charging for new configurations... anyone know the exact date?

If you are thinking back to to when the hardware was in place in the Model S but was only at Traffic Aware Cruise Control level, not yet at "stay in the lane" AP, you STILL had to pay for TACC (which got upgraded to AP1 when v7 came out). Speaking as someone who bought a 2015 Model S w/ AP1 hardware but did not purchase TACC...

If you are thinking back to to when the hardware was in place in the Model S but was only at Traffic Aware Cruise Control level, not yet at "stay in the lane" AP, you STILL had to pay for TACC (which got upgraded to AP1 when v7 came out). Speaking as someone who bought a 2015 Model S w/ AP1 hardware but did not purchase TACC...

UGHHH OK so here's the deal... Those that ordered the car and got AP "free" were those who ordered it before AP was on the car but it was MADE with AP (see first image, notice no AP even though it was delivered with it). After that it was INCLUDED in the now $500 more expensive "Tech Package"... until they changed it again(see image 2)

Screen Shot 2019-10-16 at 1.49.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-16 at 1.55.01 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: Tam
UGHHH OK so here's the deal... Those that ordered the car and got AP "free" were those who ordered it before AP was on the car but it was MADE with AP (see first image, notice no AP even though it was delivered with it). After that it was INCLUDED in the now $500 more expensive "Tech Package"... until they changed it again(see image 2)

Making more sense now - I ordered AFTER the Tech Package had been discontinued as an option, with TACC (eventually to be AP1 with the rollout of v7) as a standalone.

Ah, I didn’t realize you were talking about an S since this was an X thread. All X’s had to pay for AP. You are entirely correct, but the window of time for free AP was only a month or two, not really a factor, more like luck of the Tesla production gods.