Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla finally fix the speed limit reading issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

srwx

"perf_config": "P1"
May 16, 2016
Ballarat, Australia
I don't want to jinx anything but I haven't had a single 80 limit read as a 30 since 14.2

There were three 80 signs on my usual route into town that always got read as 30 and would cause AP to slow the car, I've only just realised I've not had that happen for over a month now.

Has anyone had any misread speed limit signs since the last update?

I too am wondering if something has changed, I have noticed different behaviour but can’t quantify it. Could it be that speed limit recognition in the latest release has moved from map based to camera based? (I had thought that the camer recognition of our speed signs was not previously enabled - although #srwx’s comments made me question this assumption)

I too am wondering if something has changed, I have noticed different behaviour but can’t quantify it. Could it be that speed limit recognition in the latest release has moved from map based to camera based? (I had thought that the camer recognition of our speed signs was not previously enabled - although #srwx’s comments made me question this assumption)
AP1 has always attempted to read the signs but lately it seems to be working - good stuf.

Just before a recent update the speed limit changed from 100 to 80 near Sutton Forest NSW which I travel through frequently.
For the first few times, despite the 80 Sign posts the car set TACC at 100 when I activated it so I'm a still a bit uncertain if it actually reads signs or has speed limits in a map database.
Then the update came through and I noted after the updated that it started to correctly set the speed to 80 when I activated TACC in this location.
Colour me confused.

No.

AP2 neither reacts to speed limit signs nor does it appear that errors are corrected in a timely manner. 1.5 years later.

Failing to react to a higher limit is usually just an annoyance. Failing to react to a lower limit adds risk - see, for example, PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) in Torrance as the road curves past a high school campus, and the mile prior thereto.

AP1 of course manages speed zones just fine the vast majority of the time (unless a large truck happens to be between the car's camera and the new sign).

No.

AP2 neither reacts to speed limit signs nor does it appear that errors are corrected in a timely manner. 1.5 years later.

Failing to react to a higher limit is usually just an annoyance. Failing to react to a lower limit adds risk - see, for example, PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) in Torrance as the road curves past a high school campus, and the mile prior thereto.

AP1 of course manages speed zones just fine the vast majority of the time (unless a large truck happens to be between the car's camera and the new sign).
This is a big limitation on AP2 and very frustrating. Has Tesla said anything about when the AP2 software will be updated for Aust?

I don't want to jinx anything but I haven't had a single 80 limit read as a 30 since 14.2

There were three 80 signs on my usual route into town that always got read as 30 and would cause AP to slow the car, I've only just realised I've not had that happen for over a month now.

Has anyone had any misread speed limit signs since the last update?

Agreed AP1 is reading speed signs much better. Amazing what comes in those "minor bug fixes"