Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla Finally Put Amber Rear Turn Signals?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

M67v

I just work here
Sep 2, 2014
Reading, PA
This may seem petty, but by simply making the turn signal amber, it could improve visibility a lot more. Also making the turn signal on the same circuit as the taillight is what I call "Bad Over-Engineering". "Bad Over-Engineering" is when someone over-engineers something but end up not making it any better than it would if they did it simple. Besides, every other Model S not sold in North America has ambers. Go figure. Furthermore, in a survey, most people prefer to have amber indicators in the rear according to a TMC post: Amber rear turn signals?
So did Tesla put amber rear turn signals on the Model X? It would make sense because of how much they advertise safety on the X. I already confirmed where the brakelight, taillight, and reverse light is, but amber turn signals can be possible.
taillight positions.jpg

One of the later movies in the Mule thread (can't find it this sec - somewhere in page 300 range) showed left turn signal. Brake lights were on (the horizontal lower slit) and the left one was blinking. It looked amber to me but hard to tell with lighting.

As best as I've been able to tell, the lower light strip is a dual-color LED that acts as both a red brake light and amber turn signal. I haven't seen any indications that the "possible turn signal" section functions at all. It appears to be there for cosmetic reasons only.

It does seem rather odd to me that they use such a small area for the brake lights instead of using the full tail light as the brake light and the lower strip for just the turn signals. For safety reasons, I would want the brake lights to stand out as much as possible.

In the US, and I'm pretty sure Canada, it's ok for the signals to be red. Since it saves the manufacturers a bulb by combining the brake and turn lights, that choice is frequently made.

For some reason, luxury cars in the US seem to have predominantly red turn signals. Mainstream cars like Honda typically have clear lenses with Amber bulbs. I prefer the latter for visibility and contrast reasons.

For some reason, luxury cars in the US seem to have predominantly red turn signals. Mainstream cars like Honda typically have clear lenses with Amber bulbs. I prefer the latter for visibility and contrast reasons.

As a European I really don't understand Red Turn signals. Sometimes I see a imported vehicle driving here with red ones. It's so difficult to see the difference. I really hope that Tesla goes global with Amber, so much better.