Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla Finally Put Amber Rear Turn Signals?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NHTSA requires the turn signals to be a certain area size. The inner area where the non-US amber blinkers are not large enough to qualify, even though the light output is tremendous.

I also would LOVE to have amber rear blinkers as it is proven to be safer than red. I'm sure they're not cheap to order from Tesla, though. If I ever come across a banged up rear USDM tail light, I'd open it up to see what it takes to modify.

For some reason, luxury cars in the US seem to have predominantly red turn signals. Mainstream cars like Honda typically have clear lenses with Amber bulbs. I prefer the latter for visibility and contrast reasons.
In a random survey using my Consumer Reports Buyers Guide 2015 magazine, only counting luxury cars [Acuras, Audis, BMWs, Buicks, Cadillac, Chrysler 300, Hyundais (Equus, and Genesis only), Infinitis, Jaguars, Kias (Cadenza, and K900 only), Land Rover, Leuxs, Lincoln, Maserati Ghibli, Mercedes-Benzs, Porsches, Tesla Model S, and Volvos], 47 out of 104 had amber turn signals, which is about 45.2%.

Using the same color for blinker and brake is asinine. You have to wait for it to blink, to know if they are turning or braking. Then decipher if its in pairs (tapping brakes) or just one side (blinker). Peripheral vision also comes into play for blind sides.

Amber Yellow has clear intent.

RED BRAKE
Yellow TURN.
White Reverse.

Saving money (pennies) should not jeopardize safety.

Using the same color for blinker and brake is asinine. You have to wait for it to blink, to know if they are turning or braking. Then decipher if its in pairs (tapping brakes) or just one side (blinker). Peripheral vision also comes into play for blind sides.

RED BRAKE
Yellow TURN.
White Reverse.

Precisely.

RED BRAKE
Yellow TURN.
White Reverse.

In this case it wasn't pennies, but the design should have been amber rear blinkers in all markets.

NHTSA requires the turn signals to be a certain area size. The inner area where the non-US amber blinkers are not large enough to qualify, even though the light output is tremendous.

I've heard this argument before, but whenever I follow a VW Golf or Passat, the segments that they use seem even smaller than what the Model S segments would be if separated out into separate Turn Signal and Brake Light elements.

Personally, I don't care for amber rear turn signals.

If I recall correctly, there was a push (and probably a regulation) by the Feds back in the 1980s to use amber as the color for rear turn signals. Some US cars were indeed built that way. But the manufacturers must have pushed back or something, because the color was not used for long. Meanwhile, some or maybe most of the European brands already had amber signals (including at least Mercedes, which is what I am familiar with). I always preferred the amber signals. I worked in transportation engineering for a few years and as I recall there was research to show the amber/red distinction between turn and brake was beneficial to recognition and reaction by other divers. But in recent years, I have been disappointed to see even European brands such as Mercedes following the trend and using red turn signals. I take this as a styling move allowed by current regs, but it could be that there are other reasons as well....

- - - Updated - - -

RED BRAKE
Yellow TURN.
White Reverse.

Strongly agree!

At one point that was the last straw for me to never look at an American car, but instead go for Japanese. Amber is way better than red for turn signals, especially nowadays when there is a cluster of lights, sometimes even flashing momentarily when braking. It is insane to have red for all functions. This becomes a critical point when you are braking and turning

I was hoping they kept them red...to each his own, but red looks nicer

At one point that was the last straw for me to never look at an American car, but instead go for Japanese. Amber is way better than red for turn signals, especially nowadays when there is a cluster of lights, sometimes even flashing momentarily when braking. It is insane to have red for all functions. This becomes a critical point when you are braking and turning

Back in the 1990's, I remember car manufacturers implementing amber turn lighting by using yellow-ish covers over the turn signal bulbs. Honestly I didn't think these looked very good, but I'd take that disadvantage for the higher level of visibility/safety.

Most newer cars with amber turn signals have clear covers/lenses and amber bulbs. This is a very good solution IMO, because it works aesthetically and safety wise. Clear covers look almost crystalline and have a nice contrast with red brake tails, and having the amber bulbs means an unambiguous turn signal. My Civic has this combination and it really nails both the looks and functionality.