Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla Finally Put Amber Rear Turn Signals?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think all cars should have amber turn signals in North America. It just makes sense from a safety standpoint.

Fully agree with this and what Widodh stated. I just don't understand the equivalent of blinking brake lights as turn signals. Safety should be a priority over looks and IMHO amber turn signals actually look better too. Tesla could probably achieve cost savings as well with uniform amber turn signals in all markets.

Using the same color for blinker and brake is asinine. You have to wait for it to blink, to know if they are turning or braking. Then decipher if its in pairs (tapping brakes) or just one side (blinker). Peripheral vision also comes into play for blind sides.

Amber Yellow has clear intent.

RED BRAKE
Yellow TURN.
White Reverse.

Saving money (pennies) should not jeopardize safety.

To me, it has never been confusing at all: one side is brighter than the other when it is signaling a turn, even if the same color. The problem comes if the brake and turn signals are the same intensity and location.

The key here is that one is never trying to signal both left and right at the same time, so there's never any ambiguity.

While I don't personally care whether the turn signal is amber or red, what I have noticed is that non-luxury cars tend to have really crappy turn signals, and you can't see them very well, and from what I'm reading here, it seems like people are saying those are mostly amber. My main thing about turn signals is that you ought to be able to see them from any angle around the car (360 degrees), and they should be visible enough that you will notice them regardless of which part of your eye they hit. They ought to be quite large and/or distinctive. Not so bright as to blind you, but bright enough to be seen. I've noticed that when I use turn signals on my MBz, it lights up the whole neighborhood. Now, that's visible, and proper. I have no idea what color it is, and don't care.

Last edited: