Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla just kill the Model S 75D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just as the Fiesta ST didn't kill the Focus ST or RS or the Mustang (4, 6, GT, 350R, etc.)... Faster and smaller may give you pause, but they are different. I personally don't like the 15" screen in the middle, but that is why I wouldn't buy one, your mileage may vary.

With last night’s announcement of the Performance Model 3, how do you justify buying a Model S 75D?

Model 3 Performance:
- 3.5s 0-60mph
- 310 miles range
- 155 mph top speed
- 78k all options included (except autopilot)

Model S 75D:
- 4.2s 0-60mph
- 259 miles range
- 140 mph top speed
- 74.5k (without any upgrades)

Edit:
Model 3 Performance
- 64k all options included (except performance upgrade and autopilot)

With the recent pricing adjustment of the performance model 3, I find it even harder to justify buying a Model S 75D... Anyone with different thoughts?

3 is a compact 4 seater while S is a full sized 7 seater.

S has hatch back design that carries a ton more, You can even sleep laying down in comfort with the seats folded down.
It has air suspension for variable ride heights and twice the displays for additional information.
It offers HEPA filter for healthier air quality, can carry full sized bikes, snowboards and skis inside.

Two different vehicles. 3 is a smaller city car, while the S is the long distance comfort runner.

Few will cross shop on price alone.

I don't think it's a pointless comparison.

For me I need a new car due to a lease expiring. Tesla is pretty much my only option because I want a quick, stylish EV with good tech.

I could afford any of the models, but which one makes the most sense for me? So I am cross shopping the S75D vs P3.

S:
+ better cruiser, nicer ride, better backseat, 2 screens, cargo/hatch/powered liftgate. heated steering wheel. EDIT: Forgot to add - S looks better - it looks great from every angle - 3 looks good from some angles...others....not as much.
- heavy. wide. long. more expensive. Stupid center console and cupholders. will likely get at least a mild redesign in the next 24 months. Interior nice, and nicer than 3, but still underwhelming for $90k+ vs ICE luxury cars of the same price.

3:
+ cheaper. Faster. Better handling. Easier to park in garage, work ramps, city streets, etc. only 4000 pounds so presumably will be easier to stop in the snow given equivalent tires. new design. Center console that isn't stupid.
- cargo. ride quality. Also, I dislike the shape/feel of the steering wheel. Interior feels underwhelming for $70k.

Basically for me it comes down to a fast Model 3 is cheaper with better handling and easier to park. Since it's a commuter for me with the occasional passenger, it's likely what I'm going to try. We don't road trip in our S now because our SUV is better at it. And to reasonably road trip the way we would want would require a 100D - so basically $25k over the P3 assuming you can find an inventory 100D. Maybe I'll trade a P3 in 2-3 years for an updated S. That being said, I do have reservations about the 3 ride quality vs the S and I may have to come back here to eat crow.

S has hatch back design that carries a ton more, You can even sleep laying down in comfort with the seats folded down.
It has air suspension for variable ride heights and twice the displays for additional information.
It offers HEPA filter for healthier air quality, can carry full sized bikes, snowboards and skis inside.

Two different vehicles. 3 is a smaller city car, while the S is the long distance comfort runner.

I'd call it mid sized as does the EPA Compare Side-by-Side (click on the specs tab)

Sedans
  • Minicompact <85
  • Subcompact 85 to 99
  • Compact 100 to 109
  • Mid-Size 110 to 119

And the Model 3 comes in at 112 (slightly lacking in cargo space, but way more passenger volume than a Prius or Leaf). Shows the advantage of cargo space for hatchbacks (also a plus for the Model S).

I'd also call it mid sized because it's wider than any car I've had in the last 10 years.

• Disagree
Reactions: Troy
I drove my friend's Model 3. Compared to my Model S the Mode 3 is definitely nimbler and the touchscreen is much more responsive even with the firmware update for MCU1 that my car has. However, I vastly prefer my roomier Model S, the instrument cluster, the free supercharging, which I use a lot since I do a lot of travelling, and the looks. I also can't stand the door handles on the Model 3.

The 75D with PUP and EAP is $110k CAD whereas the Model 3 performance is $100k CAD with PUP and EAP.
With a difference of $10k it really depends on what you value. And if you just want the AWD Model 3 instead that comes in at $80k with PUP and EAP. So is the extra room, the instrument cluster, and free supercharging worth an extra $30k? For me it would be because I can't stand not having a screen in front of me and driving a tinier car.

Seven seater? Not sure I call two seats optional in the trunk with little cooling (see Rich Rebuilds video) as qualifying the car with seven seats. The X, sure.

You really can't judge until you are in the same room as the two cars. I had ordered a 3 and then visited a local Tesla showroom. There was n S sitting right next to the 3. No comparison! The S looked sleek, designed, and downright beautiful next to the 3. The 3 looked like.,.. well... it looked like a Civic.

Then you get to the wider interior, and double the cargo room. The easy access powered hatch... and let's be honest, the stability of a car that has been produced for the pat six years with a fraction of the quality control issues that are appearing in the 3. I purchased the S instead, got my VIN, and an expecting delivery in the next couple of weeks. I may still be waiting for the Dual Motor 3 long after the tax rebate runs out.

The BMW M3 is not cross shopped with the BMW 745i by consumers. We have moved past the point with the EV car where all of them are compared to each other simply on range and the fact that they are EVs. Now, (at least with Tesla) there is a large enough selection that you can pick a car based off of the features you need, not the simple fact that it's an EV and that's your only choice.

You really can't judge until you are in the same room as the two cars. I had ordered a 3 and then visited a local Tesla showroom. There was n S sitting right next to the 3. No comparison! The S looked sleek, designed, and downright beautiful next to the 3. The 3 looked like.,.. well... it looked like a Civic.

Then you get to the wider interior, and double the cargo room. The easy access powered hatch... and let's be honest, the stability of a car that has been produced for the pat six years with a fraction of the quality control issues that are appearing in the 3. ...

I think this really hits the nail on the head. The S75D still has it's place for sure. I like the 3's, don't get me wrong, but I like full size S more. It just comes down to what YOU want. You can crunch numbers all day long, but it really helps to be up close or inside to really experience what feels right. I had the same situation not to long ago between and S and X. I was so set on getting an X, but once I sat in it, it just didn't feel right (somewhere between spaceship and egg).. the S did. My two cents: Keep on keeping on with numbers/analysis all day long, but definitely go sit in each car and see what feels right for you.

We purchased an MX last year and intended to place an order for the M3 earlier this year. I took the wife to the Tesla store in Fashion Valley so she could sit in both the 3 and S before configuring. After sitting in both. She completely hated the M3 for the center controls and seating comfort. The MS just looks 10X better too. So our original MX owner advisor goes online and finds us an inventory car which happens to be the Stanford Palo Alto showroom model MS100D in midnight silver metallic... with a $12,400 discount. Flew up to San Jose 3 days later and picked up a a fully loaded showroom perfect MS100D with only 24 miles. No regrets, the MS is awesome.

The 3 is hideous. Porsche front with a Civic butt.

I do like the Model 3 headlights, however the rest of the car just looks odd to me. Something about the high rear, skinny proportions, and the overall stance of the vehicle just doesn’t do it for me like the MS does. Plus I’d have to change my forum name if I ever switched out my car :)

• Funny
Reactions: R.S and P85_DA
With last night’s announcement of the Performance Model 3, how do you justify buying a Model S 75D?

Model 3 Performance:
- 3.5s 0-60mph
- 310 miles range
- 155 mph top speed
- 78k all options included (except autopilot)

Model S 75D:
- 4.2s 0-60mph
- 259 miles range
- 140 mph top speed
- 74.5k (without any upgrades)
There is far more to a car than performance. That base S75D has more performance than 99% of the cars sold and has a softer ride and more space.

Reactions: P85_DA
I do like the Model 3 headlights, however the rest of the car just looks odd to me. Something about the high rear, skinny proportions, and the overall stance of the vehicle just doesn’t do it for me like the MS does. Plus I’d have to change my forum name if I ever switched out my car :)

I hope that Tesla won't take too many styling ideas from the Model 3. I like the 3 for what it is, but the S still looks better, despite being a 6 year old design.

Maybe it's also the proportions, the 3 looks a bit too much egg shaped, but I also don't like the duck face. And just like you the lights are the only thing I really prefer over the Model S design.