Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla just try to sell me an old build?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No discount. The only benefit is immediate delivery and surety of qualifying for the full federal rebate. When they offered me early delivery the agent assured me this is a new build off the line and claimed it was due to the Sept production push...

Definitely curious why the car has been sitting around that long not sold. Selling me a VIN 2017 car at 2018 price without disclosure just rubs me the wrong way. On the resell market it's probably a $2k loss on the value right off the bat. I'll probably still end up losing that much in tax credits if the new car isn't delivered by Dec.

No discount. The only benefit is immediate delivery and surety of qualifying for the full federal rebate. When they offered me early delivery the agent assured me this is a new build off the line and claimed it was due to the Sept production push...

Definitely curious why the car has been sitting around that long not sold. Selling me a VIN 2017 car at 2018 price without disclosure just rubs me the wrong way. On the resell market it's probably a $2k loss on the value right off the bat. I'll probably still end up losing that much in tax credits if the new car isn't delivered by Dec.
If you're ordering a RWD I don't see how you'd not get a new built car in the next 4 months.

Reactions: Pkmmte and Stirfelt
At least one person at Tesla screwed up. That car clearly had a 2017 VIN. Glad the OP refused it.

I'd have no problem with Tesla repairing that vehicle and selling it as "new", just as they do for Model S/X "inventory" cars which are typically discounted. But a vehicle with a 2017 VIN should not be sold as if it's a brand new 2018 vehicle. For that matter, even if it had a 2018 VIN, I wouldn't pay full price for a Tesla vehicle that's eight months old. This has to be an anomaly, though.

Reactions: Stirfelt
I'm also concerned about a battery that's likely been sitting in a discharged state for almost a year and what reason it's not been put into delivery. A re-worked car? Loaner? Test vehicle employee take out to lunches?

It has 56 miles on the odometer.

56 miles on the car itself? My paperwork said 50 (that’s normal) and 7 on the car.

Not sure how that car got to you. That should have been the very first model 3 with a showroom discount!

I wouldn’t want a 2017 VIN simply for resale value. We’re headed in to the 2019 model year and it would pain me to have a brand new car “two years old.”

Just my opinion. Also the ‘17 suspension is rock hard and the back seat is flat and uncomfortable.

In this circumstance, @amoeba rightfully rejected the car.

Though with Tesla’s, Model year don’t tell the whole story.

I took delivery of a 2016 AP2 Model X in December. Same Saturday that Rogue One came out, much better than the hot garbage subsequent two movies.

Savvy buyers looking for unlimited supercharging that follows the car would know mine qualifies by definition.

Hunting for a 2017 Model X will likely lead to disappointment / buying risk. Owner can tell you it has FUSC but more difficult to verify unless buyer or owner is very knowledgeable on the nuances.

Last edited:
If they give you a meaningful discount (say $5K), might be worth taking it if there are no problems
They should turn them into loaners, then after 10,000 miles on the odomoter, fix them up and sell them as inventory vehicles with a discount. That could easily soak up the old inventory Tesla has sitting around that gets hand-repair-treatment to get into service, and still have very happy customers getting some fairly newish Model 3's at a discount. Also, it would allow Tesla's less expensive to build cars to fill their loaner program rather than their more expensive Model S's and Model X's.

Having said that, they should do the same thing for their hand-repaired new Model S's and Model X's, too (first put them into the loaner fleet, then sell them once they get enough miles on the odometer to have served a good loaner life for Tesla and offer a decent discount to those looking for bargains that don't mind some prior use as loaners).

In this circumstance, @amoeba rightfully rejected the car.

Though with Tesla’s, Model year don’t tell the whole story.

I took delivery of a 2016 AP2 Model X in December. Same Saturday that Rogue One came out, much better than the hot garbage subsequent two movies.

Savvy buyers looking for unlimited supercharging that follows the car would know mine qualifies by definition.

Hunting for a 2017 Model X will likely lead to disappointment / buying risk. Owner can tell you it has FUSC but more difficult to verify unless buyer or owner is very knowledgeable on the nuances.
But he would have had the OMG full orange back window!!111 ...

In short, can someone explain to me what the whole VIN thing is about? People are always talking about it and obsessing over it. How do you know if its an early build or a new build by vin?

VIN = Vehicle Identification Number = the car serial number.

They are "kinda but not always" built in sequence, so people are calculating the "born on" or "best by" date from it. From that, speculating if it wasn't built recently it may be a problem car.

No ... I think the VIN question is a good one.

Based on what I have read on this forum, Tesla does not follow a sequential VIN format.
I do not understand why ...... it does create this kind of confusion as demonstrated in this thread.
I could understand when the test 3's were all given specific VIN's, but it seems to me that a sequential VIN format would be far superior.

...fast forward to 1 year from now: "Can you believe the nerve of Tesla? They tried to force VIN 250,091onto me but I rightfully rejected! I want a VIN in the 260k range!"

The stress level on this board is amazing.

VIN 260K+ has a HUD.

VIN 259,999- has only the TeslaPAD to look at.

The differences ARE tangible between 100,000 and what OP was given.

I'd be more upset that the "delivery agent" lied to me if I were you.WTH? Lying just to get a sale?