Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla make a weirdmobile? Comparison 3 BMW 3 dash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BMW X1 dash is a POS. I have one and hate it. Miss my Tesla every time I drive it.
Let me tell you what's wrong with it. Speedo and tach OK. But the most valuable info display (with time and temp on it) is overridden every time I stop with the stupid warning regarding the auto engine shutoff. The radio controls are terrible... I have to look at them every time. HVAC OK. Then there's a row of buttons below that are non-intuitive.

OK, so I did a small experiment today with my BMW X1. I put a playing card approximately where the corner of the Model 3 display would be. While I was looking straight ahead at the road, I could NOT peripherally read the speedometer without glancing down. But, I could always peripherally see and identify the 3 of clubs without glancing sideways. That 3 on the playing card is much smaller than the MPH in the prototype Model 3 display, so I expect that it will be easier to see MPH in a Model 3 without taking eyes off road than in an X1.

Then - admittedly more subjective - I tried glancing at the speedo and seeing how much of the road I saw peripherally, and glancing at the playing card and seeing how much road I saw peripherally. My conclusion: I had better view of the road when glancing right at the playing card than when glancing down at the IC.

Anyone concerned should try same experiment. We won't actually know until we can drive the Model S, but I suggest that the lack of traditional IC will be fine.

You have nothing to fear but fear itself.

I have been driving a car for three years that has the speed and critical information in the approximate location of the model 3 screen. As soon as I drove it off the dealers lot, I was used to the location. It is just as safe if not safer than having the instrumentation behind the steering wheel.

I am interested to hear what that car might be and take a look.

This has been discussed over and over again. None of the examples so far shown have had the speed in the location Model 3 had. The only extreme - worse - example is the Mini Cooper and even that a) had a digital speedo in front and b) gave up on the central speedo anyway.

The Japanese cars that have central speedos place them on top of the dash, which is a completely different thing, because that location can actually place them closer to the field of view than an instrument cluster.

But Model 3 has a screen protruding towards the driver from the front of the dash, not on top of it, to the down-right of the driver. That setup has not been seen in any car so far shown.

Let alone that these cars would have autopilot data that could be seen and compared.

Mind you, I'm not saying one can't get used to anything. The question is, does one want to.

I am interested to hear what that car might be and take a look.

This has been discussed over and over again. None of the examples so far shown have had the speed in the location Model 3 had. The only extreme - worse - example is the Mini Cooper and even that a) had a digital speedo in front and b) gave up on the central speedo anyway.

The Japanese cars that have central speedos place them on top of the dash, which is a completely different thing, because that location can actually place them closer to the field of view than an instrument cluster.

But Model 3 has a screen protruding towards the driver from the front of the dash, not on top of it, to the down-right of the driver. That setup has not been seen in any car so far shown.

Let alone that these cars would have autopilot data that could be seen and compared.

Mind you, I'm not saying one can't get used to anything. The question is, does one want to.
The screen section showing the speedometer is clearly above the dash though for the Model 3. The only difference may only be the depth, however that might be misleading too, given apparently the dash surface is more far forward for the Model 3 than conventional cars (from the other post that a 6'4" person was able to fit with the seats set all the way forward).

I guess we will see when the car is actually out.

Nope, the model 3 has essential information on the screen at approximately the same location as my Japanese car. Try it, you will like it.

Nope, the model 3 has essential information on the screen at approximately the same location as my Japanese car. Try it, you will like it.

Without knowing the car in question, ann I can say that so far the central speedo examples (aside from antiques and the Cooper) have been on top of the dash, not protruding towards the driver. The former is more in the field of view and the latter is less.

Also, I see you downgraded Autopilot data as non-essential.

Without knowing the car in question, ann I can say that so far the central speedo examples (aside from antiques and the Cooper) have been on top of the dash, not protruding towards the driver. The former is more in the field of view and the latter is less.

Also, I see you downgraded Autopilot data as non-essential.
Field of view is probably not the term you are looking for. Lots of things are in my field of view, but I can only focus on a small area at a time. The human eye can move 20 degrees in 70 milliseconds and fixate for about 200 - 300 milliseconds before the eye moves again.

Just saw the launch video of the new VW Polo and I have to say I find this far more appealing than the Model 3. That's the kind of simple modern design I like. Yes, it's not as minimalistic as the Model 3, but I think they found a nice balance. To me the AC control really doesn't scream "omg all those buttons".

And i really have to repeat it THIS IS A VW POLO! Big improvement over this...

VW-Polo-GTI-2017-Vorstellung-1200x800-f486393e7ac2fe72.jpg
VW-Polo-GTI-2017-Vorstellung-1200x800-edf4172ab31a4464.jpg

Just saw the launch video of the new VW Polo and I have to say I find this far more appealing than the Model 3. That's the kind of simple modern design I like. Yes, it's not as minimalistic as the Model 3, but I think they found a nice balance. To me the AC control really doesn't scream "omg all those buttons".

View attachment 231569 View attachment 231570
Not sure you can call that simple...

Reactions: BluestarE3

And i really have to repeat it THIS IS A VW POLO! Big improvement over this...View attachment 231569 View attachment 231570

The VW interior is a cluttered old school design disaster ... the only redeeming quality is the maximum plaid seating :cool:
Porsche got it right in '73 ...

Last edited:

<my_eyes count="2" style="font-weight:bold;" />

I'm absolutely not an aesthetic when it comes to choosing cars, but couldn't you find an interior that was just a bit less gauche?

Reactions: cdub
The current vehicle dashes/consoles have been a case of form following function. ICE cars are complex animals and have historically needed a pile of gauges and whatnot.

I think it might be a more difficult sell to the 35+ group, that is conditioned with the "complexity = luxury" mindset.
They might really buy into what Tesla is doing. And I wonder if Tesla is on the leading edge of a wave.

Hmmmm. I'm 73, never had an i-anything. Tesla is just doing it right. My S has knobs on the steering wheel, which are all I need. I counted 52 buttons on my kid's BMW. There are some he's never used.

I was shocked when I first saw the dash, but it has grown on me. All that complex ICE crap under the hood has gone away - why shouldn't the dash echo that? Tesla could have played it safe and made a more familiar dash (like putting a fake grill on the original Model S). But I suspect they decided the industry is in a revolutionary time and just go straight for it. Designs and expectations will always evolve. I remember when televisions had large ornate wooden cabinets and multiple dials. Now they're a flat piece of glass hanging on the wall.

View attachment 231569 View attachment 231570

That is just another iteration of typical dash design. Even my 2009 prius interior looks nicer than that.