Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla make a weirdmobile? Comparison 3 BMW 3 dash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People have different taste, but my opionion is, Model 3 dash is ugly.

Edit: FML typo in the title :eek:

Mod edit: fixed it for ya :)

View attachment 228814 View attachment 228815
Yeah. So, I like totally disagree and stuff. You are fully welcome to your 'opionion' for the duration though. To me, the 3-Series dashboard is only rivaled among contemporaries by the Cadillac ATS for robust levels of yuckiness.

• Funny
Reactions: SageBrush
Yeah. So, I like totally disagree and stuff. You are fully welcome to your 'opionion' for the duration though. To me, the 3-Series dashboard is only rivaled among contemporaries by the Cadillac ATS for robust levels of yuckiness.
Yeah, I'm not crazy about my 3-series dash. I always have to search for the buttons I don't use all that much. The button for the heated seat has to be pushed repeatedly to get to the right level. And worst of all is the auto stop/start button.It drives me nuts because I forget to push it to override it about 25% of the time. Oh BTW, to check my speed I have to look down and to the left to see the speedometer.

I think I'm going to like the simplicity of the Model 3 interior but I will have to get used to looking right to check my speed. It shouldn't take long though.

Only downside is you have to look at it while you press it multiple times because its on the touch screen and not a physical button.
One should note that this isn't a limitation of touchscreens and is not a feature exclusive of buttons. It's highly dependent on implementation. I've seen buttons where you press them multiple times to get the desired outcome and likewise I've seen touchscreens where you simply touch and hold while it cycles through options.

Reactions: Red Sage
Tesla Model 3 design is “pretty much final,” plus new insights from a batch of high quality photos

The charging screen doesn’t show us much we haven’t seen before. The car is charging at 70kW here, but Xue said he was charging from the next supercharger over at 110kW. Superchargers sometimes split amperage between adjacent stalls, giving more juice to one car than another, so this may not be a full reflection of the top charging speed of the Model 3. The car looks to be charging at a rate of 169 miles of range per hour, which is still plenty respectable compared to every other EV out there, but not as good as Tesla’s top 145kW rate can deliver.

upload_2017-6-22_1-16-0.png

xk0ury7b545z.jpg

36CADE11-3CFF-45FC-851A-2727A3098E55-4364-0000045B37271598.jpeg
I remember when I had a 2006 BMW 3-Series... there were a lot of complaints at the time that the dash was too spartan and minimalist compared to Audi and Mercedes. Clearly they (BMW) listened and added lots of curves and buttons to please the clutter crowd. I like minimalist design... as long as it doesn't look cheap. I'm reserving Model 3 judgement until the final release. Here is the "minimalist" BMW dash from 2006+

View attachment 232314 I remember when I had a 2006 BMW 3-Series... there were a lot of complaints at the time that the dash was too spartan and minimalist compared to Audi and Mercedes. Clearly they (BMW) listened and added lots of curves and buttons to please the clutter crowd. I like minimalist design... as long as it doesn't look cheap. I'm reserving Model 3 judgement until the final release. Here is the "minimalist" BMW dash from 2006+
That's probably the best BMW interior I've seen so far. (In my opinion)

View attachment 232314 I remember when I had a 2006 BMW 3-Series... there were a lot of complaints at the time that the dash was too spartan and minimalist compared to Audi and Mercedes. Clearly they (BMW) listened and added lots of curves and buttons to please the clutter crowd. I like minimalist design... as long as it doesn't look cheap. I'm reserving Model 3 judgement until the final release. Here is the "minimalist" BMW dash from 2006+
Pretty much the same exact dash as the 2018. Difference is lack of nav option.

IMO form should always follow function, while reducing complexity. So in a sense eradicating most buttons and knobs is useful, but I am not so sure about all of them. But actually I don't really mind.

What I dislike is the "floating" screen. I have been making fun about the "glued on" screens of other manufacturers and I surely won't reverse my position on them, just because Tesla does in now, too.
Bildschirmfoto 2017-06-26 um 15.10.46.png

It just doesn't look well integrated, like an afterthought.

I absolutely love the minimalist architecture of the M3 interior dash. Ludwig Mies van der Rohe would have approved. Less is More.
I have owned multiple generations of Prius and while driving I incessantly look at consumption data. In the past year I realized that what I really want is a car that has a low enough footprint that I won't care about the actual number. If the car takes car of it, I'm happy to have the data/controls be hidden while I am driving. This goes for speed, battery capacity ... you name it.

Why do you need that info while driving?

So I was driving home late on new year's when my headlights started to dim...

There have been a couple of occasions when having that data available while driving would have saved me a huge headache (and once where actually having it, did). But i confess the example isn't obvious. I guess my primary objection is to the ubiquitous 'check engine' light which is worse than useless, and the whole design philosophy that goes with it.

Thank you kindly.

IMO form should always follow function, while reducing complexity. So in a sense eradicating most buttons and knobs is useful, but I am not so sure about all of them. But actually I don't really mind.

What I dislike is the "floating" screen. I have been making fun about the "glued on" screens of other manufacturers and I surely won't reverse my position on them, just because Tesla does in now, too. View attachment 232807

It just doesn't look well integrated, like an afterthought.
That photo is indeed of an afterthought system. They designed the entire dashboard, then went back and added a touchscreen propped on top.

Tesla, however, designed the Model ☰ from the outset to have the majority of center console functions controlled by a single touchscreen. Not an afterthought but a purposeful decision and that is what it 'looks like'.

Until such time as someone develops and affordable application of a 3D hard light holographic interactive display that would a appear to 'float' in midair, Tesla's version of a 'floating screen' is the best we will get. Just because someone decided over a century ago that putting steam engine gauges in an embedded panel surrounded by bezels was a good idea doesn't mean that type of 'integration' is absolutely necessary at all.

Trains, ships, planes, and automobiles... The influence in design from one to the next is rather palpable.

article-1040538-0226FBEF00000578-535_468x311.jpg

7773ce7aff8293784928dd9642488e91.jpg

Engine%20Control%20Panel%201976%20Large.jpg

4429341931_cb633c555c_b.jpg

N34---Douglas-DC3-Cockpit.jpg

4355454406_593b203e65_b.jpg

f718b68eb52788baa28755cad8665f19.jpg

Caterham-Seven-160-interior.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

But is it necessary?

7defab420103c6503555f02f737d83f6.jpg

Ashley_Joker_Normandy_Bridge.jpg