TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Did Tesla make a weirdmobile? Comparison 3 BMW 3 dash

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Matias, May 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Carl

Carl Supporting Member

#61 Carl, May 29, 2017
    Last edited: May 29, 2017
    The M3 always makes me think of the VW Beetle: a gorgeous design (imho) of a car of revolutionary importance and which beat any and all sales records. And so many people were in love with this 1930's design that many people continued to buy it long after it had become less practical, reliable, powerful or fun to drive (and had become more expensive) than any 1970's Toyota 1000 or so :)

I'm sure the interior design also had something to do with the Beetle's charm/success.

59coral-3.jpg

(credit to classicvws.com for the pic)

• Like x 4
    • Love x 3
    • Funny x 1
  2. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

Maybe dash will be changed in 2 years?

No matter your opinion, love it / hate it / indifferent / wait and see before judgment (that's me) - I guarantee there's two years of production that are spoken for.

Pretty sure bottom 200,000 will be happy to take up the first 200,000 that want to switch to a Bolt, i3 or some other ice car.

All other cars will be spending way more time looking at the rear of the Model 3 as it passes them than the dash.

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
  3. internalaudit

internalaudit Member

4. eloder

eloder Active Member

You should probably tell that to the dozens of millions of Prius drivers out there. Those millions of Prius drivers have no idea about how dangerous their central-mounted instrument cluster is!

• Like x 6
    • Funny x 2
    • Love x 1
  5. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

How was that an attack?

• Like x 3
  6. mspohr

mspohr Well-Known Member

Confusing, cluttered. Everything but the kitchen sink.

7. mspohr

mspohr Well-Known Member

#67 mspohr, May 29, 2017
    Looks like those displays were tacked on at the last minute. It's odd to see them sticking up like that. Also... still too many buttons.

8. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

The way the Model 3's panel is loosely detached from the dash still makes me hope that's not the final design. Still appears much too fragile.
    The inclusion of built in center console after having none by default in Model S and X makes me think that's also a tentative design, but it is much too late to change that.
    I'm strongly considering leasing instead of buying for the Model 3, so my wife can get the improved version in 3-4 years.

• Like x 1
  9. internalaudit

internalaudit Member

^ I'm hoping it will be embedded in the center console but it's huge at 15" so I've accepted the floating display as it is. Might be an issue during a frontal car crash though so things might change. :)

10. mrsandman

mrsandman Member

IMG_1150.JPG When Elon said "like a spaceship" people took it way too literally since he also builds spaceships. But in reality, this is what he meant. I'm absolutely sure he's a fan of the Jetsons.

• Funny x 3
  11. smak

smak Member

And it's one of the better one's out there, there are some that are much worse.

12. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

My opinion on what the most badass would be is 3 landscape iPad screens laid side by side as the entire dash, controls and instrument cluster.

Though the S would be antisold to oblivion were this the case lol.

• Like x 1
  13. ModelIII

ModelIII Member

Musk said: How often do you look at the dashboard of a taxi?

14. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Well-Known Member

Comparisons - the I-Pace concept is nice IMO. And you can adjust heating without looking...

[​IMG]

• Like x 9
    • Disagree x 2
    • Informative x 1
  15. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 Porsche 918 Hybrid

16. Ciaopec

Ciaopec Reservations at Restaurant at Universe end

Close to where SpaceXploration begins: 32952
    #76 Ciaopec, May 29, 2017
    ...or his girl friend/co worker with the tattoo on her arm and outfit that makes her look like she has an exposed body part?

• Funny x 2
  17. internalaudit

internalaudit Member

I hope all this talk will make Tesla change its mind about the floating display. :)

• Disagree x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  18. Doubletap67

Doubletap67 Member

The problem with that is there's probably no FSD for a couple of years at least - so this dash is going to be it. I'm reserving judgement at the moment.

• Like x 3
  19. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Betteridge's Law applies here: no.

The interior doesn't look weird. Weird suggests something jarring, and there is nothing jarring there.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  20. Ciaopec

Ciaopec Reservations at Restaurant at Universe end

Close to where SpaceXploration begins: 32952
    I some how think it is functional, easy to install, and inexpensive and that was a goal. Think about the MS/X display and the intricate (I assume ) manufacturing that must be done with curves/angles and the trim for the mounting and the expense and time if it must be replaced or worked on. I would like to think a lot of knowledgeable people hashed and rehashed the pros and cons of this and decided the best course of action was to KISS (keep it simple, stupid).

• Like x 3