Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla make a weirdmobile? Comparison 3 BMW 3 dash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I some how think it is functional, easy to install, and inexpensive and that was a goal. Think about the MS/X display and the intricate (I assume ) manufacturing that must be done with curves/angles and the trim for the mounting and the expense and time if it must be replaced or worked on. I would like to think a lot of knowledgeable people hashed and rehashed the pros and cons of this and decided the best course of action was to KISS (keep it simple, stupid).

I've seen the display on my friend's Model S and I believe it's relatively flat so it's not like it cannot be held it in place just like how many car stereo faces can be removed from the unit with a press of a button.

Pioneer AVIC-D3 With Removable Face Plate? - NASIOC

I think that piece of display can be an issue with a front-end collision but I could be wrong. Maybe automotive industrial designers/engineers here can chime in.

Again, I don't really care if it's a single floating center display but the interior would look a lot neater if it was tucked into the console by way of connectors just like we had in those detachable car radio faces or maybe just a slot like this built-into the center console/dash, which would hold the display in place and still not look unattractive compared to a floating display.

Satechi Universal Tablet CD Slot Mount for 5

I can't help but think of those older taxi meters:
時間繫留

Like what the fellow below me said, just don't make it stick out so much since it kinda ruins the minimalist interior intention, which most of us don't really mind.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: NerdUno and Ciaopec
For me, as several others have mentioned, the minimalist nature of the dash is not the problem. It's the amateurish look of the 15" screen. It appears to be velcroed to the rest of the dash. When I first saw the reveal of the car last year, I was hoping that the screen looked that way only because it was an early prototype. I guess not. Let's face it everyone, the M3 is not going to be an inexpensive car when equipped with the features that make the most sense to take advantage of the technology offered. From what we can see of that interior, the look does not follow the price tag. As much as I love my 3+ year old Model S, I still suffer through some of the poor interior design choices such as the awkwardly placed cup holders (with none for the rear passengers), unlit vanity mirrors and no arm rest in the rear seat. Ultimately, with all the pluses that the car has to offer , those things are relatively minor. When, however, you have taken several 1000+ mile family trips as we have, those "oversights" become annoying.

I was one of those people who stood on line last March 31st to reserve a M3 for my wife, but from what we have seen so far, we might consider a used MS, with free supercharging, instead.

I would argue the definition of the weirdmobile - as used on TMC - is an irregular car design as opposed to a regular car design. A weirdmobile can be appealing, yet still be considered weirdmobile.
Ah.. like flush door handles, or a large screen ? A quiet ride without gears revving is weird for sure.

Really, anything that has not been in your current car for the past 10 years or so should qualify.

• Love
  • Funny
Reactions: T34ME and Ciaopec
Ah.. like flush door handles, or a large screen ? A quiet ride without gears revving is weird for sure.

Really, anything that has not been in your current car for the past 10 years or so should qualify.

Ah yes, the door handles. That will be interesting on the Model 3, how they are perceived. Model S actually took that idea and made it traditionally usable, while still subtly cool. How will people feel about the Model 3 door handles may be another question...

The big screen, I'll grant you, was a bold move on the Model S. It wasn't absolutely necessary for the BEV revolution either, so it could be viewed as an unnecessary risk. However, it was also very well executed given how normal the actual driving controls are. Model 3 is taking it all to a new extreme, it seems...

I loved Model S interior the minute I saw it. I am not loving the Model 3 interior.

I must admit I am a little concerned about the minimalistic approach of the dash as we see it today, because I am used to cars with a complex assortment of buttons and dials to perform all the car's functions. That said, I am willing to give this simplicity a try because I recognize the fact that it may not be necessary to have all that spread across the inside of the car.

As long as the car does what its supposed to do, and I still have the same level of control, it's all good from my perspective.

Reactions: Runt8
I think something that gets overlooked to some degree is that the Model 3 being a lower cost car is aimed at a different demographic to a degree. While the S and X have had a wealthier, older clientele the Model 3 will certainly attract more attention from younger buyers: buyers for whom smartphones, tablets, and touchscreen computers are ubiquitous and an everyday part of life. I don't know that you'll get near the push back from them on the Model 3 interior as from older, more affluent buyers. They'll probably prefer the look/feel of the Model S/X.

Which could be exactly what Tesla wants. How stodgy and yesterday will Accords/Camrys/320is/etc. look to affluent late 20-early 30 year olds? They may be playing this better than we imagine.

I loved Model S interior the minute I saw it. I am not loving the Model 3 interior.
Do you expect anybody to care other than AnxietyRanger ?

You denigrate a design as "weird" because you do not like it. Why don't you just get off your high horse and either 1, STFU; or 2, voice your personal taste once, politely, and leave it at that ?

I have mixed thoughts about the Model 3 interior and can't definitively come down on one side or the other. Background: I have driven only BMWs for the last ~15 years. I agree that BMWs interiors can be considered quite busy and also have non-functional curves and design cues. While I agree with the above, I still find the BMW interiors aestically pleasing and relatively functional.

With regards to the Model 3 interior...I think the majority of design decisions were in support of reduced complexity from a manufacturing perspective (remember Tesla wants to 10x-20x production rate over the next several years). Reduced complexity also includes ability to more easily make right hand drive versions for some markets. With the no vents and no under-wheel dash binnacle displays, that's going to be a lot easier. Cost reduction was clearly also a factor although I'd guess that reduced complexity was more significant than the money saved from less rubber hoses and tubing or even another LCD.

I think another important factor with reducing all of that "stuff" in the dash was the ability to push the front seats forward and the rear seats backward and create an almost Model S-sized interior from a (externally speaking) smaller vehicle.

I'm sure everybody who owns a Model 3 will love the fact that it has "so much room inside" or say that "it's so much bigger on the inside". But how did Tesla make that happen? Clearly, getting rid of extra screens, wiring, tubing, bracketing and the like helped them to make the larger interior happen.

You guys are probably familiar with the phrase "skate where the puck is gong", right? I think that is what Tesla is doing now. The Model 3 will continue to evolve iteratively like the Model S and Model X have. That said, the changes will likely be better and/or bigger batteries, dual motors, increased performance maybe some new options introduced (air suspension, for example), etc. I'd guess the plan is for the basic interior of the Model 3 will roughly remain the same for 5-7 years...just like the Model S. So the fact that full self driving might be 2-3 years away isn't likely being considered an issue for Tesla if they expect that the same interior will roughly exist for at least 5 years. And even if FSD capability is 2-3 years away, level 3 is likely a lot closer...and even with level 3, the dashboard and displays suddenly become much less important. Tesla is simply skating where the puck is going. When Apple introduced the iPhone, many critics bemoaned the lack of a physical keyboard (a la the ubiquitous Black Berry). But Apple withstood the short term "weirdmobile" effect of the full touch screen device devoid of physical keys and we saw how that worked out. I think Tesla is willing to the same thing and they are skating to where they believe the puck is going. Time will tell if it was a good choice.

Having said all of that...I agree with many people here who don't like the 'floating' look of the 15" touchscreen. I don't mind it being in the center of the dash and I don't think the lack of a steering wheel binnacle display will end up being more than a short term adjustment for owners. But I don't like the "add on" look of that 15" display personally.

All in all I am OK with a minimalist interior but I think the 17" integrated touchscreen in the Model S is the best fusion of good looks and minimalism. That's why I ordered a Model S. But I still have my Model 3 reservation and am waiting to pass full judgement on that interior until such time as I can see it in person and drive it.