TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Did Tesla match your Carmax quote on your Tesla trade-in?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Firewired, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Firewired

Firewired Member

We got a low ball offer on our Tesla trade-in. Our Advisor told us to go to Carmax and get an offer and that they would pay whatever Carmax offered. We then went through Carmax and got offered a few thousand more. We took the Carmax offer back to Tesla. After a week later Tesla came back, said they had been mistaken, and meeting Carmax offers only applies to non-Teslas. Is that true? Has anyone had Tesla meet a Carmax quote for a Tesla trade in recently?

Thanks.

• Disagree x 1
  2. Firewired

Firewired Member

We got a low ball offer on our Tesla trade-in. Our Advisor told us to go to Carmax and get an offer and that they would pay whatever Carmax offered. We then went through Carmax and got offered a few thousand more. We took the Carmax offer back to Tesla. After a week later Tesla came back, said they had been mistaken, and meeting Carmax offers only applies to non-Teslas. Is that true? Has anyone had Tesla meet a Carmax quote for a Tesla trade in recently?

Thanks.

3. Firewired

Firewired Member

Thanks.

4. outdoors

outdoors Supporting Member

That is true. Vroom and Carmax offers apply to non Tesla cars. On occasion an OA will make a mistake and say they match the offer.

Mistakes happen in life. I tend to be more forgiving of issues like this. Others not so much. To each his/her own.

5. outdoors

outdoors Supporting Member

Double thread. Mod please delete.

6. willa1975

willa1975 Member

Tesla offered me $1500 more than CarMax

7. ek993

ek993 Member

Tesla gave me a seriously low trade in offer on my Range Rover - tried Vroom who offered more and thought - let me try a 5 day eBay auction, nothing to lose. I sold it quickly and painlessly for 50% more than Tesla’s offer.

Might be something for you to consider rather than losing out on thousands with trade ins.

8. Firewired

Firewired Member

Thank you, I really appreciate the suggestion. This is our fourth Tesla and has not gone smoothly, honestly I can attest to being a little frustrated by the poor communication and mis-information. I know it will be a great car, but the transaction has been rocky. I can’t imagine what impression a first time Tesla buyer would be thinking.

9. TampaRich

TampaRich Member

I was told that same thing. Carmax came in $2000 below Tesla on a low mileage 2013 Nissan Pathfinder. I think everyone is disappointed when they find out that their used cars, no matter how good the condition is, have depreciated so much.

• Like x 1
  10. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

No direct experience but what you have reported I have read elsewhere.

No one is happy at what Tesla gives for trade ins.

11. uicandrew

uicandrew Member

i went to carmax first, and got $28k for my 2016 infiniti car. Tesla's offer was $28,400. KBB instant offer was $27k. i did not try vroom like i've read on other websites.

12. willa1975

willa1975 Member

Trade-in credit and tax savings for me were very close to what I would get for the car selling privately.

13. prash

prash Member

I was one of the lucky ones when Tesla told that they would match vroom offer for my 90D Tesla trade in(which was 6500$ more than Tesla's offer)!. I have never heard of Tesla matching any other offer for Tesla trade ins, but somehow I got lucky.

14. PhilDavid

PhilDavid Member

Why don't you list the car here for a little bit more than the CarMax offer? You have nothing to lose and will likely sell the car.

Selling private party is not so difficult.

• Like x 1
  15. Brando

Brando Active Member

Just a random THANKS. You seem to be supplying Texas with used Teslas.

16. hulk2k17

hulk2k17 Member

Without sharing my CarMax offer, Tesla exceeded it by $100 when I submitted the trade in request to them.

YMMV

17. oracleicom

oracleicom Member

Tesla matched my CarMax trade in quote which was $1,200 more than Tesla's.

• Like x 1