Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla mention why they changed from Michelin Ps4's to Pzeros on model 3 Performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also switched my 3 from OEM Pirellis to OEM PS4S by trading my 2021 Performance wheel set for a 2020 set. The Michelins seemed slightly louder, harsher, softer in response, and lower in traction. All exact opposites of what I was expecting.

But damn did those Pirellis look stupid on 9" Uberturbines. Hey Elon, the 1990's called and they want their mini trucks back.

Blind to the fact that all Tesla spec OEM tires are designed to have lower rolling resistance, traction, and comfort than their retail cousins, the internet seems to believe that since standard non-Tesla PS4S tires get 4.5 stars on TireRack vs. 4 stars for Pirelli anythings then Pirelli anythings must just suuuuuck.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
I also switched my 3 from OEM Pirellis to OEM PS4S by trading my 2021 Performance wheel set for a 2020 set. The Michelins seemed slightly louder, harsher, softer in response, and lower in traction. All exact opposites of what I was expecting.

But damn did those Pirellis look stupid on 9" Uberturbines. Hey Elon, the 1990's called and they want their mini trucks back.

Blind to the fact that all Tesla spec OEM tires are designed to have lower rolling resistance, traction, and comfort than their retail cousins, the internet seems to believe that since standard non-Tesla PS4S tires get 4.5 stars on TireRack vs. 4 stars for Pirelli anythings then Pirelli anythings must just suuuuuck.
So interestingly TireRack's 2017 tests and 2021 tests with the PS4S and PZ4 (+/- other tires) paint very different pictures

The 2021 test seems to agree with your experience (well dry traction slightly better on the PS4S, but wet much better on the PZ4). I can't explain the discrepancy between the tests.

@terranx Those Tire Rack results don't really match up with my experience either. Maybe the Tesla spec tires utilize different compounds as @Gauss Guzzler hinted. Maybe there's sizable variance in manufacturing of these tires. Maybe the exact size you're comparing with makes a real difference which performs better. Maybe the tire companies slip in ringers sometimes - though I hope Tire Rack pulls their review tires from their regular inventory!

Without a shadow of doubt the 245/45R18 Potenza Sport I have on my M3P outgrip its original Tesla-spec 235/35R20 PZ4, dry and wet. It's not even close, I don't need a flat skidpad and measuring equipment to rank them. I made the change at 1k miles, so the PZ4 were still fresh, perfect for making the comparison I think. I guess 10mm extra width helps a bit but I doubt it explains the full difference. Plus my new wheels are actually narrower than the Uberturbines (18x8.5" vs 20x9").

I'd be interested to find out how the regular PZ4 (not Tesla spec) in this size feels, but I'm not going to risk my money on them when the Tesla version got so thoroughly upstaged by the Potenza Sport. I might try the PS4S next just to compare, I did like its predecessor PS2 as a street tire back in its day. Then again I'm happy enough with the Potenza Sport that trying anything else feels a little risky. Decisions, decisions...

with 2 years of experience of the ps4s on my 2020 m3p and how i drive the car like its a rental, the ps4s grip the road very well here in la. cant speak for any other part of the country. i love the ps4s so much i put them on my 2022 m3p.