Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How did you take delivery of your MS?

• I asked Tesla not to wash / detail my MS, and they did it anyway & damaged the factory paint job

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • I asked Tesla not to wash / detail my MS, and they honored my request

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Tesla washed & detailed my MS, & there was no damage to the factory paint

Votes: 42 77.8%
  • I did not request anything, & Tesla did not wash / detail my vehicle prior delivery.

Votes: 6 11.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took a few paint readings on a new MS we got in today.

IMG_2825-web900.jpg

IMG_2826-web900.jpg

IMG_2827-web900.jpg

IMG_2829-web900.jpg

Not the most accurate way of gauging how much clear is on the car, but a ballpark #. Areas that are not seen by the eye, don't get as much clear as rest of the car to save on cost. You can see the difference between all exposed panels and what's underneath the protective cover in the frunk. Almost 60-80 micorns difference, so to me, that's quite a bit of clear on the car for it being production.

IMG_2831-web900.jpg

IMG_2832-web900.jpg

As eluded earlier, the amount of paint on a Tesla isn't really the issue here, it's the softness of the clear coat and how easily it's susceptible to swirls and scratches. However, with proper care, these issues can be greatly mitigated. Common sense. A proper wash using quality wash mitt, I prefer 100% Australian lambs wool. Quality soap, DI water, and quality microfiber towels...not the cheap stuff from Costco. A little investment in quality products, a proper initial detail, and a little time on the weekend, all the issues we've all been discussing can dramatically be eliminated. Don't forget what you're driving. IMHO, it's a game changer and a quantum leap in automobile history. Enjoy it!!!

To the OP - email ownership and your service center manager to let them know of the problem. Many people probably never notice/don't care and so they might not be aware of the problem they are creating. Tesla has been known to reimburse individuals who had to have their paint corrected right after delivery.

It's my fault that I signed the delivery paperwork before inspecting the car. By the time I saw all the swirl marks in the sun, I actually brought it up with the DS on the spot. However they were very reluctant to work with me on correcting the problem. They finally offered to give me a free detailing by their detailers to get rid of the swirls, but after seeing what they did to my car, I don't want any of their detailers touching my car again. In fact, after I saw the swirls on my car, I looked at 5-6 other MS's on the lot for delivery & EVERY car had tons of swirl marks on them. I guess some people were so excited taking delivery of their Tesla, they did not even notice them. Oh and a tip for people who haven't taken delivery, move the car out into direct sunlight & look at the paint at different angles. The swirls are not as apparent under the shade.

Now, as far as what happens once the car leaves the factory, well, that's where it leaves much to be desired. Unfortunately, not many are skilled enough to work on any of these high-end cars, let alone one that already has certain temperaments such as the soft Tesla paint. I wish someone at Tesla would put the same care they do in training their an ASE Certified Tesla Mechanic to wrench on the car as they do the guys in the back to properly care for the paint. Not anyone can "wash" a car. Just because you can brush your teeth, doesn't mean you're a dentist ;)

So, best thing you can do is get the car to the service center direct from factory. Be very specific to your SC and sales guy that they are allowed to do a PDI, pre delivery inspection, but are NOT allowed to wash, wax, molest the car. You will take it home no matter how filthy it is. Then, take it to a reputable facility and do a New car prep. Make sure the detailer documents every imperfection prior to him working. If there are buffer marks, sand marks, imperfections in the paint, take high res photos prior to remedying the imperfection, then send the bill to Tesla and see if they will honor the repair. Don't expect them to, but at least it'll be documented what condition it was prior to anyone touching it after the car was made.

Completely agree with you Moe, like I said in my original post, if Tesla is going to have detailers work on the car, hire someone who knows what they're doing. I actually specifically called the DS before taking delivery asking them not to touch the car at all, I specifically requested the car not to be washed, but the DS refused & said it was their policy to at least clean the cars. Now I have to spend several hundred dollars in paint correction because of Tesla. Love the car, hate their detailers.

Tesla DID NOT mess up my paint job. With all the negative comments here I wanted to add that not all cars end up with swirls or other marks. My car came in fine shape. I have handwashed the car with all new mitts and microfiber and took care to use light pressure and not stir up grit from the bucket. I read about the 2-bucket method but I'm not that into car washing. When I took my car in for Opticoat Pro after 3 or 4 months they examined the car and seemed surprised that very little needed to be done to prep the car. I've been very happy with the quality of my car.

I had gotten mine with a paint flaw on the drivers side rear quarter panel. They "tried" rubbing it out with who knows what, however it was still Visable. I was able to remove it after about a 1 1/2 hours of work (size of a quarter). If they HAD NOT touched it, it would have only taken 5 minutes. They made it worse.

Now, when I had my car in for service, they washed it, and used dirty towels/cloths to wash and dry my car. My car had no swirl marks before dropping it off, now it looks like someone dried it with fine grit sand paper. Given that it is currently winter now, I will wait until spring to really do any correction, but this is going to be a project :( Not very happy with that. I didn't make a stink about it because the service center went above and beyond what they had to to correct problems with the vehicle, and took care of things I never even noticed, but, yah, will be asking them not to wash my vehicle any longer (I try to keep it clean, but driving 2 hrs to Chicago for service, unavoidable).

That, and I have voiced it before, the paint QUALITY is absolutely CRAP. The paint JOB is great. The Clear is WAY to thin, and extremely hard to work with. Most here know I was a "Stretcher" to be able to afford the car, so I did not have the luxury to have Xpel, Opticoat etc... applied. I tried to make up for it with coats of wax, well over 40 coats before winter as I was TRYING to find something that would help with water spotting and bird crap (The paint SHOULD NOT HAVE PERMENT SPOTS FROM BIRD CRAP AFTER THE CRAP HAS ONLY BEEN ON THE CAR FOR 10 MINUTES BEFORE BEING WASHED OFF!!!!).

I am borderline asking for a repaint. VIN in the 98xx's.

EDIT: Ok, maybe repaint is going a bit far, but I will see what damage Winter has done come spring, especially given my meticulous care of the paint since I got the vehicle.

Last edited:
Got my S85 used and not sure what the paint condition was at delivery. I did not know about this car's paint issues so washed it with my car wash brush that I use on all my cars and lots of swirls/lines appeared :( I guess I need to take it to someone to polish/seal the paint to correct this now.

Tesla is not going to tell you "our paint scratches really easily" and many new owners likely wouldn't have done the extensive research and know about this in advance. I'd imagine this is pretty common occurrence.

I had gotten mine with a paint flaw on the drivers side rear quarter panel. They "tried" rubbing it out with who knows what, however it was still Visable. I was able to remove it after about a 1 1/2 hours of work (size of a quarter). If they HAD NOT touched it, it would have only taken 5 minutes. They made it worse.

Now, when I had my car in for service, they washed it, and used dirty towels/cloths to wash and dry my car. My car had no swirl marks before dropping it off, now it looks like someone dried it with fine grit sand paper. Given that it is currently winter now, I will wait until spring to really do any correction, but this is going to be a project :( Not very happy with that. I didn't make a stink about it because the service center went above and beyond what they had to to correct problems with the vehicle, and took care of things I never even noticed, but, yah, will be asking them not to wash my vehicle any longer (I try to keep it clean, but driving 2 hrs to Chicago for service, unavoidable).

That, and I have voiced it before, the paint QUALITY is absolutely CRAP. The paint JOB is great. The Clear is WAY to thin, and extremely hard to work with. Most here know I was a "Stretcher" to be able to afford the car, so I did not have the luxury to have Xpel, Opticoat etc... applied. I tried to make up for it with coats of wax, well over 40 coats before winter as I was TRYING to find something that would help with water spotting and bird crap (The paint SHOULD NOT HAVE PERMENT SPOTS FROM BIRD CRAP AFTER THE CRAP HAS ONLY BEEN ON THE CAR FOR 10 MINUTES BEFORE BEING WASHED OFF!!!!).

I am borderline asking for a repaint. VIN in the 98xx's.

EDIT: Ok, maybe repaint is going a bit far, but I will see what damage Winter has done come spring, especially given my meticulous care of the paint since I got the vehicle.

Repaint isn't necessary. In the right hands, almost any imperfection can properly be taken care of.

Yeah but you can only do that so many times before the clearcoat is gone and now your eating the paint. That's why you MUST get a wrap after paint the correction.

I've yet to see imperfections that require sanding...that's what takes clearcoat down significantly. Even the most aggressive compounding/polishing shouldn't take down more than a few micron of clear. And once correction is performed, hopefully paint will be cared for properly and shouldn't require that aggressive of correction ever again. As you do mentioned though, wrapping is probably the most permanent solution to this problem.

I think that the Tesla paint is the most fabulous of any car I have seen other than Bentleys. This as all things comes at a price. In this case the price is soft paint and clear coat. Someone like Moe can bring out the beauty. Unfortunately Tesla detailers may not be up to the job. I spent $500 and many hours online learning how to best care for my Tesla. I still put a small streak in the clear coat that took further time to remove. The coat is so soft that ppf over the whole painted surface is needed in any locations with lots of salt on the roads. XPel Ultimate cost me $4000. Silver or grey or white paint would have been cheaper but not better looking. I now can wash my car without fear of streaking and scratching. This was a lot to pay but worth it to me as I plan to keep my car until it or I can't drive.

I think that the Tesla paint is the most fabulous of any car I have seen other than Bentleys. This as all things comes at a price. In this case the price is soft paint and clear coat. Someone like Moe can bring out the beauty. Unfortunately Tesla detailers may not be up to the job. I spent $500 and many hours online learning how to best care for my Tesla. I still put a small streak in the clear coat that took further time to remove. The coat is so soft that ppf over the whole painted surface is needed in any locations with lots of salt on the roads. XPel Ultimate cost me $4000. Silver or grey or white paint would have been cheaper but not better looking. I now can wash my car without fear of streaking and scratching. This was a lot to pay but worth it to me as I plan to keep my car until it or I can't drive.

Well-said. I think this thread has been great in raising lots of awareness of the known issue. Everyone here knew when they purchased a Tesla, there might have been certain things that would arise when a new innovative product like the MS is launched. I think all of you should give yourself a pat on the back for being pioneers and spearheading something revolutionary in the automotive industry. We'll all look back in time and realize this was simply part of the growing pains of a new company and I'm sure if the engineers were smart enough to build this level of technology, that they're probably already aware of this issue and either have, or will have, the solution on the next model. In the meantime, I believe we all have some solutions to this problem and in the grand scheme of things, it can be fixed depending on the level of your OCD. I can't wait to own a Tesla soon, and even though Im in the business that can fix these things, I wouldn't let it deter me to purchase one. Every time I get behind the wheels and drive one to a client or to my studio, I'm amazed at something new. To say I'm impressed, would be an understatement. And anyone that knows me personally, knows I'm not impressed easily.

Then logic should tell you that the OptiCoat comes off with it too. If you apply Opticoat on top of ppf it's not like it magically seeps through the ppf and bonds to your clear coat....
Thats not what I meant, I know its not going to seep through, I meant ideally, you want the opticoat on the car, not on the paint protection. So it would need to come off and then be reapplied.

- - - Updated - - -

Got a call today from Tesla, 3M Is going to come out and take a look at my paint. I will update.