Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla Remove NVH Cover from AC Compressor?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello folks,

I own a 2020 3. Apologies in advance if this should be under the Master Thread for 2020 changes.

As per title, does anyone know if (and why) Tesla removed the shroud around the AC compressor in the Model 3?

I had a look at their parts catalogue, which sometimes gets updated with removals (ciao frunk hooks) and it’s still listed (see picture attached).

However, upon inspection of my car, there is no such cover around the compressor (see attached). Has anyone else noticed this? I was watching as the unit was shaking around making quite the noise. It certainly doesn’t seem a well balanced unit.

Cheers,
- Dickie

DF70A43D-006C-4D51-BC37-AA4B76818380.jpeg

D04FE6C2-AD95-4CCD-A26D-3685D77AB963.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: jpfive and PNWLeccy
That is odd since Munro recently stated Tesla had told him they were going to start including the shroud on the Model Y heat pump. Perhaps Tesla ran out of the part temporarily and didn't install one in your vehicle.

Last edited:
This is interesting, i'll have to check mine to see if I've got the cover installed.

I've been watching Muroe's teardown of the Model Y and he was showing how the M3 had this NVH cover but the new octovalve in the MY does not. He also said that he received a call from Tesla to say that they have developed a NVH cover for the new heatpump in the Model Y that will be made available soon.

Hello folks,

I own a 2020 3. Apologies in advance if this should be under the Master Thread for 2020 changes.

As per title, does anyone know if (and why) Tesla removed the shroud around the AC compressor in the Model 3?

I had a look at their parts catalogue, which sometimes gets updated with removals (ciao frunk hooks) and it’s still listed (see picture attached).

However, upon inspection of my car, there is no such cover around the compressor (see attached). Has anyone else noticed this? I was watching as the unit was shaking around making quite the noise. It certainly doesn’t seem a well balanced unit.

Cheers,
- Dickie

View attachment 530377

View attachment 530378

Did you ever ask Tesla? I don't have a cover either.

Old thread but I never updated... They installed my NVH cover. It makes a significant difference in sound from the AC compressor. I'd say it reduced AC compressor sound by 50% when on full. Not sure why my model 3 didn't have one.

Reactions: Rmchrger
Is this something applicable to all years? Could I add a NVH cover to my 2018?

I am not sure but in theory if the part number for the AC compressor is the same as the 2020 it should fit.

When I said significant reduction in sound I was talking about that loud mechanical buzz outside the car. The sound inside is also reduced but it is not as significant.

Back from the dead.

Do you think it’s possible to install the cover without undoing any lines? One would hope it was designed in such a way.

I’m sure Tesla could easily claim this is the spec of the MY2020 cars, so I’d rather buy and install myself.

Cheers,
- Richard

Back from the dead.

Do you think it’s possible to install the cover without undoing any lines? One would hope it was designed in such a way.

I’m sure Tesla could easily claim this is the spec of the MY2020 cars, so I’d rather buy and install myself.

Cheers,
- Richard

Not possible from looking at pictures it wraps around the lines.

You could attempt to modify the cover. You might be able to get away with cutting slits and slipping the lines in around the cover. Then it looks like there is also one bracket that is inside the cover also so either undo that or cut the cover again. Might work but it might not.

I was thinking about trying this before they did mine. I'd probably just use some of those big zip ties to make sure it's secure after I cut it.

Last edited: