TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Did Tesla Remove NVH Cover from AC Compressor?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Dickie_L_J_O, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Dickie_L_J_O

Dickie_L_J_O Member

Hello folks,

I own a 2020 3. Apologies in advance if this should be under the Master Thread for 2020 changes.

As per title, does anyone know if (and why) Tesla removed the shroud around the AC compressor in the Model 3?

I had a look at their parts catalogue, which sometimes gets updated with removals (ciao frunk hooks) and it’s still listed (see picture attached).

However, upon inspection of my car, there is no such cover around the compressor (see attached). Has anyone else noticed this? I was watching as the unit was shaking around making quite the noise. It certainly doesn’t seem a well balanced unit.

Cheers,
    - Dickie

DF70A43D-006C-4D51-BC37-AA4B76818380.jpeg

D04FE6C2-AD95-4CCD-A26D-3685D77AB963.jpeg

• Informative x 2
  2. VT_EE

VT_EE Active Member

#2 VT_EE, Apr 8, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    That is odd since Munro recently stated Tesla had told him they were going to start including the shroud on the Model Y heat pump. Perhaps Tesla ran out of the part temporarily and didn't install one in your vehicle.

3. PNWLeccy

PNWLeccy Member

This is interesting, i'll have to check mine to see if I've got the cover installed.

I've been watching Muroe's teardown of the Model Y and he was showing how the M3 had this NVH cover but the new octovalve in the MY does not. He also said that he received a call from Tesla to say that they have developed a NVH cover for the new heatpump in the Model Y that will be made available soon.