Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla remove rated range from Refresh?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
Did Tesla remove rated range and replace it with something like estimated range? I've seen various reports from refresh owners that their rated range has decreased dramatically and that tesla is telling them it's just an estimate.

This can't be the case. If Tesla removed rated range, they'd be eliminating any transparency left into the true capacity of the battery as estimated by the BMS. i.e. my P85DL's usable capacity is currently 71.4 kwh. This is down from about 77 when brand new. My rated range at 100% is strictly a function of kwh / 0.31 (in the case of the P85D).

Also, can you still see wh / mile since last charge and current drive? What about kwh used since last charge and current drive?

Did Tesla remove rated range and replace it with something like estimated range?
No--other way around really. Earlier, the cars used to have both "rated" and "ideal" available in the North American cars. Newer cars removed the option for "ideal", which is fine because it was stupid and useless and a fantasy anyway.
I've seen various reports from refresh owners that their rated range has decreased dramatically
You'll have to be more specific. We see dozens of threads like that every week and have for a decade from new owners who don't know what's going on.

and that tesla is telling them it's just an estimate.
You mean the false nonsense/bull$&%@ that Tesla employees have been telling people for many years about how that number tunes itself according to each driver's individual driving style and driving history? That's still false and always has been. It was a tactic to try to make people go away.

This can't be the case.
You're correct--it's not.
If Tesla removed rated range, they'd be eliminating any transparency left into the true capacity of the battery as estimated by the BMS.
Yeah, switching from an energy meter, like they have always used, to a Guess-O-Meter, like most other auto makers use, would be a drastic change, and I'm sure has not happened.