Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla Screw You too? (Registration)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla sent the title and paperwork for his car to another person who registered it and now he can’t register his car. That’s entirely Teslas fault and the fact this has taken more than a week to sort out let alone 6 months is unacceptable. The only thing more FUBAR’d than his situation is your post. If a slang term offends your morality so much I suggest not going on the internet.
Well really the Texas DMV should have rejected the filing as, from my understanding, the CoO didn't match the bill of sale. (At least in Oregon they would have rejected the transaction.) And if the CoO matched the bill of sale, then the bill of sale was made out to a person different than who was filing for the title. Another no-no.

So it seems that both Tesla and Texas screwed up on this one. (As well as the other customer who should've have noticed the problem and got it fixed before taking the paperwork to the DMV.)

Since that other person has all the paperwork for your car what is stopping him from saying that car is his. He has all of the paperwork and it is registered in his name
From what I read they only had half of the paperwork, just the CoO, they didn't have a matching bill of sale. But yes, they have the title to the car at this point because the Texas DMV screwed up. (They were the third party in the chain to make a mistake.)

In summary: Paying for a car I cannot drive and Texas issued my title to someone who doesn't own the car because of Tesla's error.

The Story:

We received a MYLR7 3 February 2022. On approximately 24 February Tesla mailed the registration paperwork, however, the MCO WAS WRONG!

Tesla sent me a Manufacturers Certificate of Origin (MCO) for a Model S Plaid, but I did not purchase a model S, I bought a Model Y. (I was unaware at the time, but turns out Tesla also sent my MCO to another person. [Foreshadowing]) As to why we were sent the MCO: Texas... (you'll learn more later).

I contacted Tesla as I did not feel it was ethical to submit paperwork to Texas DMV incorrectly. It took Tesla 30+ days to resolve the matter resulting in me owing Texas a 5% sales tax late fee. Tesla finally mailed me the correct MCO and I immediately submitted the paperwork on the 59th day of "ownership" (April 2nd) to avoid a 10% late fee on the 60th day and paid a rush and processing fee to avoid the additional Texas DMV fee (note Texas has really asinine registration laws).

After 1 month of waiting I received a letter from the state of Texas stating my VIN was already registered and that my application was rejected (April 29th 2022). At the same time I received a Statement of Fact letter from Tesla informing me that they had issued MCO's incorrectly and were trying to resolve the matter. To my utter disbelief they had sent my MCO to another customer, who then submitted that document to the TEXAS DMV with non-matching paperwork and TEXAS issued them the Title for my car.

Wow! Catch you breath it gets better...

I call Tesla and they tell me it's ok to keep driving the car because they provided me with the.... Statement of Fact!

No, it's not ok. The registration expired, I cannot legally drive the car. If we get pulled over will the car be towed? How can I drive a car without a license plate? Needless to say I informed the Tesla rep that was not an intelligent response for a plethora of reasons. Adding complexity, we were relocated to PA by my company so I cannot walk into a Texas Tax assessor/DMV myself to argue with the folks who seem to be in no rush to help.

Tesla spent the next 3 weeks waffling on what to do after I requested a Tesla loaner while the matter was resolved. They told me 2-3 weeks.

End of May I was told they couldn't provide a Tesla loaner and wanted me and the wife to drive a gas loaner. We had no other option but to be forced by Tesla to drive a gas hog (need a 7 seat vehicle) when gas prices hit the all time high over the summer costing us more than $300+ per month while I'm still making payments on a more expensive vehicle.

After many requests for updates were not returned I finally reached someone in California who seems to be responsive, but it's now 5 August (6+ months after I purchased the car) that we cannot use it.

I would like guidance from someone else who experienced this issue as I would like the vehicle replaced (including the tint I had added) or I want to sell the car and be done with it. Any Lawyers who can help?

I have an object sitting in my garage, $5000 lost somewhere in registration land that I hope to get back (the title girl or Texas or Tesla have it) and I am paying for gasoline at all time highs because of the failure from the company I bought a car from to avoid exactly this situation. I would love to sell the car and get another electric vehicle now just so we have one to drive (we don't like driving ICE vehicles anymore), but really we love the Model Y so uncertain what to do.

The person who's MCO I received never had an issue because I'm not unethical, but here I am getting shafted... frustrating.

I've been very patient with Tesla through all of this and never even yelled on the phone, but as we've not reached 6 months I needed to vent. Thank you for reading and I look forward to your thoughts.
There are two state representatives who sponsors house bill 4379 (Cody Harris and Alex Rodriguez) that support Tesla direct sales to Texans. You may consider asking them that you really want Tesla to succeed and the bill to be passed but this type of unprofessional and lack of response is the exact reason for the franchise dealerships supporters and representatives ammo against the bill and you are frustrated and don't know what and who to seek help from.

Given the lack of action by Tesla to date it seems that is may be the only way they get stuff done unfortunately. I was really hoping it wouldn't be the case and could just get this resolved quickly. I'll admit I'm not that familiar with what you are referring to as I've been traveling so I'll look into what you mentioned.

Reactions: Bob_Sacamano
Through my post on TMC I was contacted about the issues. I provided them with the contact at Tesla.

As an update we received a model 3 loaner middle of this week. It will work short term and we are thankful to have received it, but we do need a 7 seat vehicle for a reason.

I returned the rental car, but there are issues with that now due to Tesla so the story continues. I really just want this to be resolved already, but I think some progress is being made. It's possible Tesla got the TX DMV to delete the incorrect title so if that is the case I'm told a few more weeks until paperwork can be completed. I'm not holding my breath at this point however.

Through my post on TMC I was contacted about the issues. I provided them with the contact at Tesla.

As an update we received a model 3 loaner middle of this week. It will work short term and we are thankful to have received it, but we do need a 7 seat vehicle for a reason.

I returned the rental car, but there are issues with that now due to Tesla so the story continues. I really just want this to be resolved already, but I think some progress is being made. It's possible Tesla got the TX DMV to delete the incorrect title so if that is the case I'm told a few more weeks until paperwork can be completed. I'm not holding my breath at this point however.
Hope it works out. It’s a fun car. My wife’s catalytic converter got stolen so she was forced to finally drive the performance 2022 model y (in chill mode) & admitted she likes it. 🤣

Reactions: Bob_Sacamano
Well really the Texas DMV should have rejected the filing as, from my understanding, the CoO didn't match the bill of sale. (At least in Oregon they would have rejected the transaction.) And if the CoO matched the bill of sale, then the bill of sale was made out to a person different than who was filing for the title. Another no-no.

So it seems that both Tesla and Texas screwed up on this one. (As well as the other customer who should've have noticed the problem and got it fixed before taking the paperwork to the DMV.)
This is correct. In our case, a county in Plano messed up as the paperwork didn’t match each other and they still registered it. My county didn’t even check their system before checking the VINs all matched - which they didn’t - and wouldn’t register the car.

Starting today with some mixed news.

The title girl may have successfully completed registration. They notified me that my documentation was being mailed out today. Unfortunately they or the Texas DMV put the wrong destination address in so it's not going to my house.

I'm still waiting on Tesla to pay the overdue rental car fee to get my deposit back and the refund on the registration fees, but I'll view this as a positive step.

Once Tesla got the right people involved things seemed to go substantially faster. Until mid July they were working through the TX offices and that didn't lead anywhere, but when the CA registration team got involved they made progress. My takeaway is TX is still growing and lots of inexperienced individuals there, whereas CA team seems competent.

I wanted to thank everyone who's commented, reached out and shared their tips or feedback as that has helped as well. Hope you have a good day and I'll let you know when this is completed.

Reactions: _Redshift_ and TSLY
Tesla has a list of states, organized by how they handle registration.
In my state of NM, Tesla mails me the documents and I visit the MVD.
This is the way I like it, since I trust me a LOT more than I trust the MVD. If I don't get the documents in a week, *I* contact Tesla to find out what is going on.

In other states, Tesla mails the documents directly to the MVD

Bob, I’m in Texas and am dealing with the same issue!! I feel your frustration! I took delivery back in February, and when I was first told about the issue, I was assured that they were working on it as fast as possible and the letter that they sent would allow me to drive. Thus, I drove with the expired tags for a few months with the letter in my glove box (per their explanation) until I got pulled over in August solely due to the expired tags. I was hassled about the issue despite the letter, and the officer informed me that I had to stop driving it or I’d be continuously stopped and ticketed. I have a physical condition where I’m only able to drive my own car with adaptive driving equipment.
All summer I tried and was unable to get in contact with Tesla to get an update on the plan to get this resolved. Customer service always promised to pass my message along to the relevant team, yet every time I never received that call back despite rearranging my schedule to wait for it. Finally, in August, I spoke to someone new on the registration team about the issue and about not being able to drive. They sent me another set of forms to sign and promised again to work on this (gave a timeline of 3 weeks) and yet here we are with no further progress. This has been going on for 7+ months now and I’ve been repeatedly promised that it’s getting resolved to no avail. I’m moving to another state in just over a week. I remain completely unable to drive and cannot take my car with me without a title. I also cannot reach the person that was helping me via phone at all to get any update or clarity on when this will be resolved. I honestly just want a new car without these issues at this point given I may as well have just waited until next year to buy the car for how long this is taking.
I had really been a champion of Tesla to my circle and bought one as soon as I was able after graduation in order to help the climate, but after this mess, I’m really disappointed in the company. I’ve lost so much time and this has caused so much stress the last 7+ months and they haven’t done anything to make it right beyond promise to get it resolved “quickly” this whole time. I know it’s not solely their fault but I really feel like Tesla should do more to make this right and should compensate us for the massive mess this has been. My family and I are pretty disillusioned with the company at this point and likely will look elsewhere for our next EV.

Reactions: TSLY
In summary: Paying for a car I cannot drive and Texas issued my title to someone who doesn't own the car because of Tesla's error.

The Story:

We received a MYLR7 3 February 2022. On approximately 24 February Tesla mailed the registration paperwork, however, the MCO WAS WRONG!

Tesla sent me a Manufacturers Certificate of Origin (MCO) for a Model S Plaid, but I did not purchase a model S, I bought a Model Y. (I was unaware at the time, but turns out Tesla also sent my MCO to another person. [Foreshadowing]) As to why we were sent the MCO: Texas... (you'll learn more later).

I contacted Tesla as I did not feel it was ethical to submit paperwork to Texas DMV incorrectly. It took Tesla 30+ days to resolve the matter resulting in me owing Texas a 5% sales tax late fee. Tesla finally mailed me the correct MCO and I immediately submitted the paperwork on the 59th day of "ownership" (April 2nd) to avoid a 10% late fee on the 60th day and paid a rush and processing fee to avoid the additional Texas DMV fee (note Texas has really asinine registration laws).

After 1 month of waiting I received a letter from the state of Texas stating my VIN was already registered and that my application was rejected (April 29th 2022). At the same time I received a Statement of Fact letter from Tesla informing me that they had issued MCO's incorrectly and were trying to resolve the matter. To my utter disbelief they had sent my MCO to another customer, who then submitted that document to the TEXAS DMV with non-matching paperwork and TEXAS issued them the Title for my car.

Wow! Catch you breath it gets better...

I call Tesla and they tell me it's ok to keep driving the car because they provided me with the.... Statement of Fact!

No, it's not ok. The registration expired, I cannot legally drive the car. If we get pulled over will the car be towed? How can I drive a car without a license plate? Needless to say I informed the Tesla rep that was not an intelligent response for a plethora of reasons. Adding complexity, we were relocated to PA by my company so I cannot walk into a Texas Tax assessor/DMV myself to argue with the folks who seem to be in no rush to help.

Tesla spent the next 3 weeks waffling on what to do after I requested a Tesla loaner while the matter was resolved. They told me 2-3 weeks.

End of May I was told they couldn't provide a Tesla loaner and wanted me and the wife to drive a gas loaner. We had no other option but to be forced by Tesla to drive a gas hog (need a 7 seat vehicle) when gas prices hit the all time high over the summer costing us more than $300+ per month while I'm still making payments on a more expensive vehicle.

After many requests for updates were not returned I finally reached someone in California who seems to be responsive, but it's now 5 August (6+ months after I purchased the car) that we cannot use it.

I would like guidance from someone else who experienced this issue as I would like the vehicle replaced (including the tint I had added) or I want to sell the car and be done with it. Any Lawyers who can help?

I have an object sitting in my garage, $5000 lost somewhere in registration land that I hope to get back (the title girl or Texas or Tesla have it) and I am paying for gasoline at all time highs because of the failure from the company I bought a car from to avoid exactly this situation. I would love to sell the car and get another electric vehicle now just so we have one to drive (we don't like driving ICE vehicles anymore), but really we love the Model Y so uncertain what to do.

The person who's MCO I received never had an issue because I'm not unethical, but here I am getting shafted... frustrating.

I've been very patient with Tesla through all of this and never even yelled on the phone, but as we've not reached 6 months I needed to vent. Thank you for reading and I look forward to your thoughts.
Wow, I am so sorry to hear this horrific story! The time, stress, and money you have had to invest in this error is not right.

I wish I could provide you accurate information to solve this issue. Maybe a lemon law attorney could offer you guidance? Those lawyers would have more knowledge about the automobile industry than anyone else.

Starting today with some mixed news.

The title girl may have successfully completed registration. They notified me that my documentation was being mailed out today. Unfortunately they or the Texas DMV put the wrong destination address in so it's not going to my house.

I'm still waiting on Tesla to pay the overdue rental car fee to get my deposit back and the refund on the registration fees, but I'll view this as a positive step.

Once Tesla got the right people involved things seemed to go substantially faster. Until mid July they were working through the TX offices and that didn't lead anywhere, but when the CA registration team got involved they made progress. My takeaway is TX is still growing and lots of inexperienced individuals there, whereas CA team seems competent.

I wanted to thank everyone who's commented, reached out and shared their tips or feedback as that has helped as well. Hope you have a good day and I'll let you know when this is completed.
An update on my end: It’s been 2.5 weeks since my last post and I still have yet to get a single call back from Tesla with an update or any plan to help make this right. I remain unable to drive the car and have already had to push my move as a result. Have spoken with the title company and was estimated 1.5 weeks (which has now passed as well). Still have no good idea when this will be resolved, 8 months later.

An update on my end: It’s been 2.5 weeks since my last post and I still have yet to get a single call back from Tesla with an update or any plan to help make this right. I remain unable to drive the car and have already had to push my move as a result. Have spoken with the title company and was estimated 1.5 weeks (which has now passed as well). Still have no good idea when this will be resolved, 8 months later.
Update on my situation:
No resolution. Despite calling Tesla numerous times over the last month, I have yet to receive a return phone call or any type of communication. Title company says the VIN remains registered to someone else despite Tesla having told them it was fixed. I’m now having to move without my vehicle. Does anyone who’s dealt with this have any advice on what to do/who to contact?