Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla stop automatically installing latest software at service center visits?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Max*

Charging
Apr 8, 2015
NoVa
Title says it all.

I've had 4 visits in the past few months, and on the last 2 (maybe all 3), I got notifications on my phone that a software update was available. I just assumed the tech's would install it like usual, but when I got back to the car, the notification was still pending. I had to do it myself [the horror!]

Looking at my invoice, the wording changed (all my invoices prior to January 2017 have the word "updated" on them, and now they all say "loaded")
5/25/17 - Loaded latest version 8.1 (17.18.50)
5/10/17 - Loaded latest version 8.0 (17.16.35)
2/10/17 - Loaded latest version 8.0 (17.4.14)
1/23/17 - Updated to latest version. 8.0(2.52.22)

My experience has been 50-50 .. sometimes they install it for me, sometimes I have to install it myself when I get home.
Once they didn't install it (when that stupid 5mph AP limitation was rolled out). So I was hoping that they'd update it.
They said they did (they didn't).
Then they told me that they scheduled it, and it'll appear in 24 hours (it didn't).
Then they asked me to wait 24 hours .. it still didn't show up.
So eventually I emailed service@tesla.. and they pushed it.
Not a big deal.

• Informative
Reactions: Max*
I got pinged for an update yesterday after a service visit. Seems like they're provisioning for the update at the center but not completing them. I actually prefer it this way since I have a choice on whether or not I want to do the update.

• Informative
Had an odd experience today. My 100D had 17.17.17 on it and after a "charge port door" service at the SC on my drive home the software update available message popped up. Was a little excited as 17.17.17 is still the latest on the firmware tracker. When I got home and installed it was just a re-install of the same version. So not only did they push a firmware they pushed the exact same firmware to it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Funny
And right now two AP2.0 cars on ev-fw have a 'newer' 17.18.50, for what that's worth. That's the release we thought was only for AP1.0. So, again, is it, and the cars are mislabeled or, not? :eek:

upload_2017-5-26_16-7-30.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-5-26_16-7-33.png
    upload_2017-5-26_16-7-33.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 36
I am one of those two cars. It is a brand new S75D with AP2 and the enhanced autopilot installed. One notable difference in this version is that the Auto High Beam feature is missing (both in the settings and the release notes).

I got pinged for an update yesterday after a service visit. Seems like they're provisioning for the update at the center but not completing them. I actually prefer it this way since I have a choice on whether or not I want to do the update.
... and completes the service making the car available for pick-up up to 1h40m earlier :) Unless the update is needed to fix whatever you are there to fix, it makes total sense to just provision it and let the owner pick a time (which could be right there and then in the SC parking lot, resulting in the same turnaround time as if they just applied it ;)).

Reactions: Cyclone
Still running 7.1 to avoid the "nags" to put hands on the wheel with AP1, and worse (IMHO) 8.X user interface.

The few times I've had to take my car into SC, I tell the customer service person not to update the software, and then I put sticky notes on both sides of the screen and on the steering wheel asking NOT to update software.

It works.

Reactions: Cyclone
Still running 7.1 to avoid the "nags" to put hands on the wheel with AP1, and worse (IMHO) 8.X user interface.

The few times I've had to take my car into SC, I tell the customer service person not to update the software, and then I put sticky notes on both sides of the screen and on the steering wheel asking NOT to update software.

It works.

All previous times I've purposefully wanted to stay on older firmwares, this is how it has worked for me. My local SvC center said they can honor that as long as any part they replace doesn't run software. If the part runs service, they are required to reload the firmware. Thankfully, I haven't had a flashable part fail during those times.

I should be able to answer this in a day. My car's in for annual service. The P85 loaner ( a prehistoric fossil with NO AP, the horror! What do you mean, "I have to steer this car myself" ? :D) has 17.80.50 . I got a software update pop up message on my phone a while ago. I'll know tomorrow (unless I probe the car through the app later tonight) whether they in fact installed it, or just pushed it to the car for me to install. I think I have 17.18.25 now.

I should be able to answer this in a day. My car's in for annual service. The P85 loaner ( a prehistoric fossil with NO AP, the horror! What do you mean, "I have to steer this car myself" ? :D) has 17.80.50 . I got a software update pop up message on my phone a while ago. I'll know tomorrow (unless I probe the car through the app later tonight) whether they in fact installed it, or just pushed it to the car for me to install. I think I have 17.18.25 now.
Your app has the version at the bottom. Why am I still on 17.16.35???

All the reports of software downloads triggering during/after a service visit do not help answer the original question. Service visits where the car was not on the latest version and did not get updated are what we are looking for.

Your app has the version at the bottom. Why am I still on 17.16.35???
Didn't you take the Flying Squirrel in for tires recently and not get an update? I seem to recall that was right when a big autopilot improvement was released and everyone was clamoring for it. (It was an AP2 improvement and she has AP1, but still)

All the reports of software downloads triggering during/after a service visit do not help answer the original question. Service visits where the car was not on the latest version and did not get updated are what we are looking for.

Didn't you take the Flying Squirrel in for tires recently and not get an update? I seem to recall that was right when a big autopilot improvement was released and everyone was clamoring for it. (It was an AP2 improvement and she has AP1, but still)
No, Kim came out and went over everything they did, and specifically stated I was already on the latest software version. Which I pointed out was not true, and told her what the latest one was. She seemed surprised that I knew, and stammered a little but I let her off the hook. I still don't have 17.17.4, even. For some reason, this S will NOT connect to my Wi-Fi. Blue Persuasion always did.

No, Kim came out and went over everything they did, and specifically stated I was already on the latest software version. Which I pointed out was not true, and told her what the latest one was. She seemed surprised that I knew, and stammered a little but I let her off the hook. I still don't have 17.17.4, even. For some reason, this S will NOT connect to my Wi-Fi. Blue Persuasion always did.

That is so odd as they RE-installed 17.17.17 on my last SC visit on 5-26-17