Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla stop including a UMC mobile connector with new cars at some point?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a UMC mobile connector '3-pin granny charger' included with a March 2021 Model 3 LR. Only came with 3-pin cable, not commando plug or European adapters.

Did Tesla stop including UMC as standard equipment in the UK at some point? I'm looking at a December 2020 car that doesn't include one, sounds wrong to me.

I got a UMC mobile connector '3-pin granny charger' included with a March 2021 Model 3 LR. Only came with 3-pin cable, not commando plug or European adapters.

Did Tesla stop including UMC as standard equipment in the UK at some point? I'm looking at a December 2020 car that doesn't include one, sounds wrong to me.

Website always has the 'definitive' list of what is included. If at point of collection it differs from what was published at point of ordering (worth taking a screen shot) then Tesla, based upon experience with several items that changed between our order and delivery, will sort the problem.

1648210464155.png

• Informative
Reactions: Nujec
As of 2021 the 16A blue Commando adapter stopped being included with UMC Gen 2 and remains an optional extra bought through the shop.

When my UMC Gen 1 failed I suspect I would have received a replacement adapter from mobile service engineer, were one available (parts shortages at the time).

• Informative
Reactions: Nujec
Tesla has decided to stop including a mobile charger with new vehicles:

Tesla changed its long-standing policy to deliver every vehicle with a mobile charging cable and instead, it starts selling them separately for $400 for level 2 charging and $275 for level 1.

Personally, I think this is a mistake. A mobile charger is an important accessory that is not very expensive compared to the total price of the car. This does feel like an Apple move to force customers to buy something extra.

I wonder how they will react when I don't include one with my trade in?

They've never even looked at the car when I've traded one in. Dunno if they would have bothered to react / charge me? if I had forgotten to include any cables; someone here has probably done that and can say if anything happened?

... by then Tesla's will be "without UMC" so selling 2nd hand ones in that state would probably not seem exceptional.

Hi everyone.

As somebody with a brand-new M3P currently on order, I have seen some videos today showing that the mobile connector that can be used for slow charging at locations that do not have a dedicated electric vehicle charger, he’s being, or has been removed from the cars as standard when supplied new.

The first person to spot this had seen that me Tesla website for the United States has shown that this was now an accessory available to be purchased separately. it’s now showing as a US$400 accessory.

As I am based in the UK, this is still showing as something that is included in the car though, so does that mean that my order placed a few weeks ago should still include the mobile charger to allow me to charge at 240 V from a regular wall outlet when I am visiting friends for example?

Please see a screenshot from five minutes ago showing on the UK Tesla site that this is still something that is currently included, I wonder if Tesla have simply not updated the UK website yet, or whether or not this is an oversight on my part and I will need to purchase this charger as an accessory.

Would be keen to get your thoughts.

F :)
319DC0EB-D31A-437C-A987-C78C8EF5325B.png

All i can say is that there are way too many people posting fake claims about this issue. Some say it's included , some say it's not. As for the Tesla advisor, he said, as of now, they don't know for sure. They have not been informed themselves regarding this issue. So we just have to wait until Elon himself decides to tell us what the hell is on his mind. I do hope that those that have orders in are excluded from this mess.

does that mean that my order placed a few weeks ago should still include the mobile charger to allow me to charge at 240 V from a regular wall outlet when I am visiting friends

I think that is 99% likely.

I've never known Tesla change something retrospectively (between order and delivery) such that the customer was worse off. Price rise? you get the price at time of order. Price decrease? You get the reduced price. Discontinued item (e.g. the battery size you wanted)? You can choose alternative adjusted at original price list (e.g. the smaller or larger battery model - that happened to me - plenty of people annoyed they couldn't have what they ordered, but the alterative offer was fair)

But in USA it has been reported that UMC has been removed from existing, not-yet-delivered, orders - and the UMC is out of stock!. Given previous similar examples of Tesla Chaos this may chop-and-change until it stabilises.

ergo: the electrec.co article reporting this has been updated three times already. "Tesla will reduce price on the UMC", "This applies retrospectively" followed by "UMC will continue to be included 'for some weeks' "