Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla Tease an Unseen Prototype in a New Video?

kingjamez

Apr 4, 2017
Fairfax, VA
From the Tesla 2018 all hands video.

Model_Y.jpg

kaiserpathos

Mar 12, 2015
Dallas, TX
Can this be the new Model Y steering wheel and monitor? (see at 1:05)
View attachment 300044

AFAIK that's the Roadster prototype interior steering wheel and monitor. But that earlier part of the video definitely seems like a perfectly-staged tiny reveal of Model Y prototype dimensions. It's too much of a statement having the back door ajar, to confirm they aren't FWDs like on Model X.

Last edited:

fasteddie7

Aug 12, 2016
uniontown PA
AFAIK that's the Roadster prototype interior steering wheel and monitor. But that earlier part of the video definitely seems like a perfectly-staged tiny reveal of Model Y prototype dimensions. It's too much of a statement having the back door ajar, to confirm they aren't FSDs like on Model X.
I don’t know about that. The door looks ajar backwards. Theirs a gap on the other side too. Maybe it’s a sliding door like a minivan, or it’s a mini falcon wing....or a big panel gap lol

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Sprandt23

S'toon

Knows where his towel is
Apr 23, 2015
AB
Some people on Electrek comment section seem to think that the car under the tarp is a partially assembled S refresh. I can't tell one way or another.

S'toon

Knows where his towel is
Apr 23, 2015
AB
Elon did mention once that they'd make the Y based on 3 chassis. They talked him out of the insanity of a totally new platform for the Y.

R.S

Mar 8, 2015
Munich, Bavaria, Germany
Some people on Electrek comment section seem to think that the car under the tarp is a partially assembled S refresh. I can't tell one way or another.

If you look at the front door to rear door ratio and the front door to wheelbase ratio, it's probably not a Model S refresh, unless it has massive front doors. I guess it's just a Model 3 test mule.

Model_Y.jpg
Tesla-Model-3-side-high-620x350.jpg
2017-tesla-model-s_100584991_l-1.jpg

Reactions: Big Earl

Big Earl

bnkwupt
Jul 12, 2017
Springfield, VA

R.S

Mar 8, 2015
Munich, Bavaria, Germany
Agreed. I do not think this vehicle is related to the Model Y. It's probably a Model S that they're working on refreshing.

View attachment 300254

You misread my post. I don't think it's a refreshed S, to me it looks like a Model 3. The front doors would otherwise be way too long, at least for a sedan. If you look at the Model S, there is more space between the front wheel and where the front door starts. So I think it's just a Model 3 mule that was covered up.

Could still be a Model S 2 prototype, but those doors will be unpractical in real life. I once had a BMW 3series coupe and while it looked great, the doors were a real problem in tight parking spaces.

AmpedRealtor

Jun 30, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
All the rampant speculation aside, what a TERRIBLE video for Tesla as a company. Simply awful. This is the best they could do? Tesla, please hire a decent marketing team - you're going to need them.

timf

Apr 14, 2013
Michigan
There are 100 different things it could be, but nothing about it screams Model Y. It looks like nothing more than a Model 3, possibly in some state of disassembly that they didn't want to show. It's just there to represent R&D. With the cover though it becomes anything you want it to be.

NeverFollow

Aug 9, 2010
There are 100 different things it could be, but nothing about it screams Model Y.
It looks like nothing more than a Model 3, possibly in some state of disassembly that they didn't want to show.
It's just there to represent R&D. With the cover though it becomes anything you want it to be.

2019 Tesla Model 3 Hatchback Review @ Top Speed

"Tesla has stated it’s looking into a multitude of different body styles,
which means a Model 3 Hatchback could very well be in the pipeline."

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC