Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla's Speed Cause You to Get Speeding Tickets?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An ICE vehicle will complain louder as you go faster. Most sports cars and motorcycles will require you to operate a clutch and stick shift. All of these factors cause stress when you speed. I learned how to ride a motorcycle because I wanted SPEED but instead I got stressed out by a loudly complaining engine, clutch, shift, and worry about road debris at over 100 mph on the highway.

In contrast, my Tesla, which I bought to go green, not for speed, goes fast effortlessly with no stress, no engine noise, no clutch, no shifting and no worries about road debris launching me like a BFR a la "Yammie Noob". I only own the mid-range, not the Performance model. Speeding is so effortless and relaxing that I almost didn't see the cop car's lights behind me. I got ticketed going 112 mph. I was still accelerating when I was caught. Doh!

All my friends and family have gotten speeding tickets in their new Teslas. What's been your experience?

Oh, and I beat my ticket. Here's how:

No tickets so far, just stay alert. Teslas are not easy to notice even when you are driving 90mph on the road. Several times I slowed down after I see the cops, they never chase me. I guess they don't have enough time to measure my speed. But you need to be aware of speed traps.

I haven't had any tickets. I set the speed dinger and I've had fast cars forever, so I'm no stranger to power. Paraphrasing Kenny Rogers, "You gotta know when to accelerate'em, know when to hold them, know when to slow down, know when it's OK to run..."

As far as this guy's lousy advice...Yes, there is a chance the officer won't show up if you actually ask for a hearing even on a non-holiday. That's why you should challenge your ticket in court if you want to try to get out of it. However, that doesn't take a lawyer. Second, over 100 mph? Seriously? He had no idea he was going over 100?? He richly deserved a ticket for being that dumb. Just a point, though, some of the freeways in TX are 85 mph, so going 100 is only 15 over. I have to assume it was not on a 85 mph freeway.

Last edited:
I've got our cars set to ding if I'm 11 MPH over the limit. I hear it all the time. It is hard to tell how fast you are going without engine noise and shifts. But no ticket yet. And I'm getting better at hitting my target speed when accelerating without looking at the speedometer all the time.

Same here, I set the ding to 15 over, yet I rarely hear it. In my decades of driving I believe I am no different than anyone else who has driven a Tesla for awhile. I get a sense of my speed by how fast objects are passing by and how quickly those strips are moving under the car. I don't need engine noise to gauge it. I'm not really buying the fact the someone is going 115 mph without realizing the car is moving quite fast..... even in the desert :D

Reactions: Callawayc7
All my friends and family have gotten speeding tickets in their new Teslas. What's been your experience?

My experience is, a little self-control goes a long way.

As to "Did Tesla's Speed Cause You to Get Speeding Tickets?!" the answer is no, if you get a ticket it isn't Tesla's speed. It is the lack of speed in the neurons between your ears.

edigest, I agree with you. Anyone who rides motorcycles with no seat belts when there are perfectly safe cars with seat belts has got to have a few screws loose in his head! LOL!

focher, I was going too fast to look at the speedo. Looking away from the road at high speeds = death.

Related: I tried setting the Max speed to 85MPH but it changes to Chill Mode. Don't want Chill Mode but would like a speed WARNING or max setting. My last car allowed you to set a warning and it would chime.

Is there a way to set Max Speed and NOT use Chill Mode?

What ICE were you accustomed to driving that was not in top gear at 65mph cruise, that required all kinds of shifting gears to speed?

Point being you are a child screaming "look at me" and making crap up to pat yourself on the back for owning a Tesla.

Many an ICE will do well over the speed limit quietly and effortlessly. Recently had to drive.my wife's Impala for 7 hours and found myself accidentally speeding more in it than my own car just because it is less familiar. Tesla may not have an engine but you still get used to a rhythm of road noise for a given speed.

Many an ICE will do well over the speed limit quietly and effortlessly. Recently had to drive.my wife's Impala for 7 hours and found myself accidentally speeding more in it than my own car just because it is less familiar. Tesla may not have an engine but you still get used to a rhythm of road noise for a given speed.
Can confirm this. Indeed, when I switched from an entirely ICE car to hybrids years ago, I'd find myself accidentally speeding due to there being so much less engine noise, but I learned a new sensory memory. I'm certain the same will happen with a pure EV such as the Tesla.

Can confirm this. Indeed, when I switched from an entirely ICE car to hybrids years ago, I'd find myself accidentally speeding due to there being so much less engine noise, but I learned a new sensory memory. I'm certain the same will happen with a pure EV such as the Tesla.
I’m gonna put the speed limit warning chime again. Not worth getting a ticket. I hit pretty high speeds yesterday like it was nothing.