Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did the 2021 M3 LR PARK feature change?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When we test drove a 2020 M3 LR last year, you had to push the P button for about 2 seconds for the electric parking brake to engage. On our 2021 M3 LR, it engages instantly. I'd like to revert it back to the way it was before: Only when we want to press P for a second or two to engage the parking brake. What's the deal with that? Thanks guys.
JC

I still have to double press or repeat press after Park. The way to tell is if you can open your trunk/frunk before your open you door then you have engaged. If grayed out then then Parking Brake is not engaged.

My stupid car engages it automatically. And yes, it's the parking brake. I can hear it engage, the symbol is there, AND in the 'service' menu, you can also see 'Parking brake is on'. Is it a new 2021 thing? I wouldn't doubt Tesla removed the parking pawls from the motors, to save costs. But hopefully we'll know what's behind that soon.

Finally, somebody said the exterior of the 2021 M3 LRs were refreshed, I parked mine next to a 2020, and other than the black trim, the exterior is absolutely identical. And in my case, just for a few hundred VINs, even the headlights are the same. The taillights are kind of crappy indeed. Followed my wife, and they're barely adequate on daylight. Headlights are really good, however, and I like the old ones better, so no issues there.

Here is Park and Parking Brake in the new UI on a 19. Odd that the 21 would be different since it seems to be just software.

IMG_6138.JPG

IMG_6139.JPG

Last edited:
Still cracks me up how people talk about the 2021 as if it's a new vehicle. Lol...they updated a couple items. It's the 98% the same car folks...get your head out of the coolaid. It has an updated arm rest...better start a new forum! It's confusing like looking at an alien space craft...never seen before by man! Did you hear Tesla changed the valve stem covers? Posts "What accessories fit my all-new Model 3".

Reactions: XLR82XS
When we test drove a 2020 M3 LR last year, you had to push the P button for about 2 seconds for the electric parking brake to engage. On our 2021 M3 LR, it engages instantly. I'd like to revert it back to the way it was before: Only when we want to press P for a second or two to engage the parking brake. What's the deal with that? Thanks guys.
JC
I never understood Tesla’s choice for this. When putting the car in park the parking brake is always set. In my 2018 pressing the button again gets the light to show, with no additional noises made.

My stupid car engages it automatically. And yes, it's the parking brake. I can hear it engage, the symbol is there, AND in the 'service' menu, you can also see 'Parking brake is on'. Is it a new 2021 thing? I wouldn't doubt Tesla removed the parking pawls from the motors, to save costs. But hopefully we'll know what's behind that soon.

Finally, somebody said the exterior of the 2021 M3 LRs were refreshed, I parked mine next to a 2020, and other than the black trim, the exterior is absolutely identical. And in my case, just for a few hundred VINs, even the headlights are the same. The taillights are kind of crappy indeed. Followed my wife, and they're barely adequate on daylight. Headlights are really good, however, and I like the old ones better, so no issues there.

Both my 2018 Model 3 and 2019 X engage parking brake immediately. It better. And if you hold it, it supposedly increases the grip and you can hear something happen on initial and hold.

Well hell now I have to try this out. I bought mine in the days of hold to engage parking brake and that's what I've always done since I always use the parking brake but maybe I dont have to hold anymore. I definitely hear when the brake is actuated so if I remember Ill test it out before heading home for the day.

Same - never had any Tesla that required more than a quick press to engage park.
Not Park the gear but the Parking Brake on the rear calipers. Usually a separate feature like a lever on the center console or a rocker switch on the dash. I'm stating to think there may be 2 levels of the Parking Brake. Level 1 when you put in Park and level 2 that has higher caliper clamping force when you Hold.

Just checked my 2021 LR M3. Quick push of the stalk goes into park without the parking brake icon present. Longer push and the brakes clamp down and the parking brake icon appears.
Same here. Which begs the question what the difference is between the two. I checked the manual and still don't know the answer. I was (and still am) under the impression that the parking brake is applied when the car is in P. Does holding the button for a second trigger some tier 2 parking brake (whatever that might be) and if so, what exactly is different?

Tesla has never had parking pawls in the motors on the S, X, 3, or Y. They have always used electrically actuated calipers.
Thank you for that information. Now it makes sense the parking brake is automatically engaged every time.

In my 2018 pressing the button again gets the light to show, with no additional noises made.
I was playing with this the other day, and on my car, I can only hear a quick 'click'.

I'm stating to think there may be 2 levels of the Parking Brake. Level 1 when you put in Park and level 2 that has higher caliper clamping force when you Hold.
That might be the only explanation of the extra 'click' on my car, but not sure it's clamping harder. We should hear the same unmistakable whirring sound we hear immediately upon hitting 'P', but shorter, and more strained. I could do that on my wife's car by holding the parking brake switch up a second time, which clamped harder. Could it be a parking pawl somewhere then? Now I'm curious. Ha ha. Thank you for all the replies, by the way :).