Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did the blind spot monitoring just got worse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before update (4.18) it always zoomed out when there were cars close by, now it doesn't. Now it shows the car too late.

33.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
When i got a Nissan 350Z back in late 2003, I found the blind spots in the rear corners were massive. I ended up having to adopt Avoiding The Blind Spot of basically pointing my outside mirrors outwards. It took awhile to get used to but now I do it on ALL my cars and on an car I drive (e.g. rentals, test drive, parent's car, etc.), regardless of whether they have blind spot warnings.

Of all the cars I've owned or leased, only my '19 Bolt has blind spot warnings (yellow lights on the mirrors).

In high school driver's ed (decades ago for me), the instructor used the acronym SMOG (signal, mirrors, over-the-shoulder, go). Back then, I don't think any cars had BSW.

Last edited:
Gotta live the disagrees with my post.

I've posted on this subject before.
Turn signal “discussion” and Turn signal “discussion” - CuriousG seems to advocate not checking over their shoulder (esp. in their blind spot) and mirrors before making lane changes. If you don't check, please stay away from me.

Gotta live the disagrees with my post.

I've posted on this subject before.
Turn signal “discussion” and Turn signal “discussion” - CuriousG seems to advocate not checking over their shoulder (esp. in their blind spot) and mirrors before making lane changes. If you don't check, please stay away from me.
My current car is a 2008 Audi with zero warning systems, and I've always just looked over my shoulder. When I see these blind spot posts it's hard to tell if people are just NOT doing that anymore or if there's truly a problem. When I test drove the Y I don't think I had a problem with blind spots, but then again it was a short one.

Cwerdna:

Of all the cars that my wife and I have ever owned the Tesla has the worst blindspots. I have had remote service come out and adjust the limiters and have the mirrors pointed out and somewhat down so I can't see the side of the car but would pick up a Lotus in the lane next to me. Nonetheless, I don't feel confident, that I am seeing everything. This is especially true at night for some reason, (perhaps the antiglare feature). I have resorted to driving at night with the rear view camera on.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
For some reasons, I don’t feel as comfortable with my MY’s driver side mirror (compared to other cars I have) even after removing the pins (which previously stopping the mirror outward), and I don’t have the same reservation with the passenge’s side (perhaps because it’s convex). I wish the driver’s side would be convex also since it gives a much bigger coverage (even though the objects would appear smaller).

What do you all think?

When I signal and someone is in the blindspot, the lane and car turns red and if I keep going, a bright red steering wheel icon pops up and it says corrective steering applied
I turn on signal after I already know there is no car in blind spot. (most of the time)
But anyway, this post is about the change tesla made - "Before update (4.18) it always zoomed out when there were cars close by, now it doesn't."

What Tech_Guy said. It’s amazing to me how few know how to adjust their mirrors properly and how many argue even after being shown the above. I learned late the correct adjustment, will never go back. If mirrors are adjusted properly, there are no blind spots, at least none large enough to fit another vehicle into.

Reactions: cwerdna
I am not sure if it is me but I used the Autopilot last night for the first time in a few weeks and seemed the following distance was much closer than when I used a few weeks. My wife even commented at one point, without me having mentioned it, 'why are you so close to the truck (in front of us)?"

Not sure if the update changed something. I will look at settings today to see if that is adjustable but something may have changed there too wiht the recent update as we both felt it last night.

What Tech_Guy said. It’s amazing to me how few know how to adjust their mirrors properly and how many argue even after being shown the above. I learned late the correct adjustment, will never go back. If mirrors are adjusted properly, there are no blind spots, at least none large enough to fit another vehicle into.

Sorry, but adjusting your mirrors this way only minimizes the blind spots with the mirrors on the MY. There is still room for a low sports car to fit into the blind spots more forward on each side, especially on the passenger side. I will concede that this might be dependent upon the height on your head and the distance the seat is retracted, but I find that it still exists. FWIW, I am 5' 7" and I sit upright but as far back as possible to still keep my hands at 10&2.

Last edited:
Reactions: dyau
Sorry, but adjusting your mirrors this way only minimizes the blind spots with the mirrors on the MY. There is still room for a low sports car to fit into the blind spots more forward on each side, especially on the passenger side. I will concede that this might be dependent upon the height on your head and the distance the seat is retracted, but I find that it still exists. FWIW, I am 5' 7" and I sit upright but as far back as possible to still keep my hands at 10&2.

I fail to see how the height of the trailing car is relevant. If a "low sports car" is fitting into the left/right "blind spots," then it's likely your mirrors are adjusted too high. When adjusted properly, a car moving from the right lane behind you to directly behind you to the left lane behind you will move from your right mirror to your rear view mirror to your left mirror. And if it passes you it'll be visible in the corner of your eye when it leaves the left mirror. The only place a "low sports car" could be hidden is directly behind you, and even the Model Y's visibility isn't that bad.

Am I missing something?

I've not driven a model Y to know what its unique properties are, but I've driven a LOT of cars and never had one where the above adjustment method didn't work.

I have zero gap in mirror coverage between the interior one and exterior ones. In fact I have overlaps when car transitions from back mirror to side mirror to my peripheral vision. I still turn my head to check before switching lane since I learnt to drive before all these driving aids were available.

@Zhe Wiz is right that you might need to lower the side mirror a little more than you think so get coverage of sport/saloon car (vs SUV/trucks).

Last edited:
Reactions: cwerdna and Zhe Wiz