Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did the blind spot monitoring just got worse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before update (4.18) it always zoomed out when there were cars close by, now it doesn't. Now it shows the car too late.

View attachment 664743
I noticed the same thing today myself. It seems to not be showing a lot of the parked cars now, and when it does display - they are way too late. However the garbage cans seemed to have improved recognition.

Reactions: GeekyDoc
I did respond, and the answer is yes. I nearly hit a car that was in my blind spot even with properly adjusted mirrors because it didn’t show up anywhere on the screen

Uuuh. If you almost hit a car with properly adjusted mirrors because it didn't show up on your screen, then it sounds like you weren't using your mirrors? Unless I'm missing something. Was it a super low car?

Reactions: cwerdna
You're literally doing it wrong.

1a) The driver side blind spot is viewed by checking your driver's side mirror. You're looking at your display -- the wrong spot!
1b) The passenger side blind spot is viewed by checking your passenger's side mirror. You're looking at your display -- the wrong spot!

2) You're not on AP/FSD so the car isn't checking the blind spots for you when signaling to switch lanes. This still works the same in 4.18.

Before update (4.18) it always zoomed out when there were cars close by, now it doesn't. Now it shows the car too late.

View attachment 664743

• Disagree
Reactions: smashcz
This is key: the blind spot warning system lights are always on or by the mirrors. Stop looking at the display!

When i got a Nissan 350Z back in late 2003, I found the blind spots in the rear corners were massive. I ended up having to adopt Avoiding The Blind Spot of basically pointing my outside mirrors outwards. It took awhile to get used to but now I do it on ALL my cars and on an car I drive (e.g. rentals, test drive, parent's car, etc.), regardless of whether they have blind spot warnings.

Of all the cars I've owned or leased, only my '19 Bolt has blind spot warnings (yellow lights on the mirrors).

In high school driver's ed (decades ago for me), the instructor used the acronym SMOG (signal, mirrors, over-the-shoulder, go). Back then, I don't think any cars had BSW.

You're literally doing it wrong.

1a) The driver side blind spot is viewed by checking your driver's side mirror. You're looking at your display -- the wrong spot!
1b) The passenger side blind spot is viewed by checking your passenger's side mirror. You're looking at your display -- the wrong spot!

2) You're not on AP/FSD so the car isn't checking the blind spots for you when signaling to switch lanes. This still works the same in 4.18.
I guess you have no clue what I'm talking about, so stay out of it. How do you know I don't look in mirrors? I obviously do.
Read again the first post. I said before this update it zoomed out when cars close, now it doesn't (at least on my model Y). That's all.

Guess OP just wants to know about software updates and change in graphics.... isn't that a silly question tho? You already answered your own question. You have notice the difference cause you use it for "blind spot" monitoring as you have said and others confirmed. Then you proceed to diss the good samaritans here trying to educate folks on how to drive safer with a Tesla. :rolleyes:

B5Qmw.png
Great visual, to paraphrase a driver Ed. Teacher “if you see the side of any car you MIGHT be missing something and that something might be sitting in your blind spot. The side of your car is NOT a threat.”

Reactions: alexcue
Great visual, to paraphrase a driver Ed. Teacher “if you see the side of any car you MIGHT be missing something and that something might be sitting in your blind spot. The side of your car is NOT a threat.”
it is if you live in the city. you never know when the next pedestrian or cyclist will be there. and good luck in a tight parking lot, u will definitely ram the side of your car into a pillar.

what i want to say is - no matter how you adjust your mirrors, do a shoulder check!

Reactions: cwerdna
I don’t mean to add to the flame but I sympathize with the lack of blind spot monitoring on the Tesla. All my previous cars all have simple indicators on the mirrors that you can quickly glance without having to take your eyes off the road. It helps before you commit to a full shoulder check and merge. It also keeps you alert of your surrounding. It is particularly useful at night time when there are glares all over. Looking at the monitor is definitely not the solution. That’s what Honda did with their early solution. They activate the side camera to show you the blind spot when you signal. It’s useless. Adjusting the mirrors and all is definitely a must but it seems backward to me that we’re going back in time on a safety feature in this price range.

Reactions: dyau
I don’t mean to add to the flame but I sympathize with the lack of blind spot monitoring on the Tesla. All my previous cars all have simple indicators on the mirrors that you can quickly glance without having to take your eyes off the road. It helps before you commit to a full shoulder check and merge. It also keeps you alert of your surrounding. It is particularly useful at night time when there are glares all over. Looking at the monitor is definitely not the solution. That’s what Honda did with their early solution. They activate the side camera to show you the blind spot when you signal. It’s useless. Adjusting the mirrors and all is definitely a must but it seems backward to me that we’re going back in time on a safety feature in this price range.
i have a honda and definitely hate the side camera solution. it lags and takes out my carplay/android auto which is usually on maps.

i have a honda and definitely hate the side camera solution. it lags and takes out my carplay/android auto which is usually on maps.
Hopefully the Tesla cams don't lag. The ones in my Infiniti are close to realtime, as I use it to park in the garage, as I put road reflectors down, so that I line up the tires with them, which makes it so I can open all the doors fully without hitting any support beams, etc.

Even I am now trying to get used to the new mirror position. So far it's not bad, but not as good as the conventional indicator in the mirrors. The only better solution that Tesla can come up with is to show the camera as soon as you turn on the indicator. And, it's also a good idea to turn the camera view on automatically if Tesla detects tight spots - like a drive through. Otherwise, you need to adjust the mirrors again for drive through (An extra driver profile). There is usually a trash can that's quite close to you. Some were uncomfortably close in a turn, so I had to be very careful to avoid my rear getting scratched.

I am not sure if it is me but I used the Autopilot last night for the first time in a few weeks and seemed the following distance was much closer than when I used a few weeks. My wife even commented at one point, without me having mentioned it, 'why are you so close to the truck (in front of us)?"

Not sure if the update changed something. I will look at settings today to see if that is adjustable but something may have changed there too wiht the recent update as we both felt it last night.
You can press right and left on the right scroll wheel on the steering wheel to adjust follow distance.