Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did the factory tour

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We recently ordered a MS. December estimated delivery. So we decided to do the factory tour. We are in So Cal so we made a short 2 day trip out of it and included a hockey game in San Jose

We were able to get the tour reserved on pretty short notice, less than 2 weeks

We had a great time, and if you enjoy watching the process or learning more about Tesla, or the acquisition of the massive 5 million sq ft plant they're in, I would highly recommend the tour.

The tour lasts about an hour. They use a tram to take you around the facility. They have you sign a NDA , and they tell you to turn your phone off. No pictures. I doubt we saw anything that isn't pretty well known, but I will respect the NDA

It was fun and informative tho. My wife used to work in production control at Northrop during the B2 bomber days. It was total deja vu for her.

Great to hear you guys enjoyed the factory tour. I agree it is well worth it. My first tour was 2 years ago when I picked up my new MS.
I get by the MotherShip periodically to SuperCharge. I am in Silicon Valley periodically on business. I always enjoy seeing the visitors coming back into the lobby from a tour. The excitement and enthusiasm brings it all back to me.
A tour about a year ago, the NDA was reinforced when we saw the first MX models coming off the production line. Schedule a tour in late 2017 and maybe we can be the first to see the M3s coming off the production line!

We did the factory tour last week. Very interesting and worthwhile tour. To be honest, you'll probably see more details on that "How It's Made, Dream Cars" episode about the Model S, but it was really cool just to be there. Plus it was especially great to take my 70D on the road trip all the way there to the mothership.

Our Monday tour was just 2 days before the announcement of new AP hardware for fully autonomous driving. We were a bit disappointed we didn't get to see the final assembly or paint shop areas during our tour - we were told at the time sometimes the tram can't get into certain areas due to things being moved around etc. But after the Wednesday announcement that all cars in production starting that week have the new hardware, I figured maybe they didn't want keen-eyed owners noticing the new cameras in the cars

FYI I'll add that I was told they book about 2-4 weeks in advance and can fill up. tours run twice/day 10am/3pm M-F

My road trip plans didn't solidify until quite late, but I was lucky to get a reservation for the tour within less than 2 weeks. You take the tour riding on a small electric tram driven by the tour guide (our guide was excellent BTW), so that's why there's a limited number of seats per tour.

Reactions: Chaz
We were in the bay area last week visiting my parents for Thanksgiving. On a whim I emailed tourstesla.com letting them know we were in town and asked if there was anyway they might be able to accommodate us on a tour. To my surprise they emailed me back a few hours later indicating they had added additional tours and then we were on the list for Wednesday at 2 PM.

We had a fantastic time on the tour. Adam was our guide. He's quite dynamic to say the least :). If you get an opportunity take the tour it's well worth it.