Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did the Key design change?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or what is this (button like) thing on the roof?
(or is it a sticker?)
BMuxnj5CcAET5TK.jpg

Image someone posted on twitter today...

For many people, old habits die hard...

Unfortunately. Since the car can be driven off without the key inside the car, I am in the strict habit of locking the car manually by pressing the fob. I rarely if ever need to unlock, just using the auto present handles. By I always lock it now. I wish they'd implement some way to lock it for sure (not just relying on timer) without pressing the fob. Like a double tap on the driver handle or something.

I rarely use the button on top. Yesterday, I decided to use the spare key that I had sitting in a bowl with other keys. It hadn't gotten used for months. When I fondled it in my hand, I noticed there was a hairline crack where the button is on top. The key also must have gone to sleep, because it wasn't detected by the car until I pressed the top button.

or am i wrong? do most owners still unlock the doors with the key fob? i can't even remember the last time i did that...

I don't unlock with the fob, but almost always lock with it. The walk-away locking takes much longer than with previous cars I've owned, and there is no confirmation horn chirp (sure, the lights flash, but I don't walk away from the car facing backwards). I just like to be sure it's locked before I leave it. (So far, no wear on my fob).

I don't unlock with the fob, but almost always lock with it. The walk-away locking takes much longer than with previous cars I've owned, and there is no confirmation horn chirp (sure, the lights flash, but I don't walk away from the car facing backwards). I just like to be sure it's locked before I leave it. (So far, no wear on my fob).

Same here. I prefer to know the car is locked before I walk away otherwise I will keep looking back wondering what is taking so long. I never used the walk-away feature on my Acura either.

I also have been manually locking--only some times since I often forget to lock. I now see a circular crack on top. Put a packing tape over it for now, but not sure what I would do if it actually breaks open. Hmm...

Agreed. If there was a setting to say "autolock sooner" I would probably enable it. When walking away from my car in public places (because of paranoia) and in my house (because I keep my fob closer to the car than I probably should) are the primary source of wear and tear on my fob.

Remember... keyless entry is part of the Tech Package...

Congratulations, you have unlocked a pet peeve!

Keyless entry means you don't stick a key in the door to lock/unlock. This is the button-press system.
Smart key means that a door will unlock when the key is present, and you are close enough or you touch a sensor on the door handle.. Smart key is offered as part of the tech package.

People have got so accustomed to keyless entry as the norm that they have started using keyless entry to refer to smart key.

Smart key means that a door will unlock when the key is present, and you are close enough or you touch a sensor on the door handle.. Smart key is offered as part of the tech package.
My car unlocks when the key is present, and you are close enough or you touch a sensor on the door handle. And I don't have the tech package.
But I don't have the auto lock when walking away feature. That's what the tech package give you.

My car unlocks when the key is present, and you are close enough or you touch a sensor on the door handle. And I don't have the tech package.
But I don't have the auto lock when walking away feature. That's what the tech package give you.

A bit OT, but as originally described, without the tech package, you would not get auto presenting handles upon approach. Either you received a freebie, or TM has changed this feature since launch (it's probably the latter). There have been many threads about this.

When are auto extending door handles coming (or not)? - Page 7
Model S Software/Firmware Updates - Page 20

A bit OT, but as originally described, without the tech package, you would not get auto presenting handles upon approach. Either you received a freebie, or TM has changed this feature since launch (it's probably the latter). There have been many threads about this.
My door handles do not auto present w/o the tech package; the door just unlocks so I don't need to press the key fob.

The jist of this thread is protecting the fob from cracking caused by excess pushes. I was trying to explain why someone would need to manually use the fob: to lock the car w/o the tech package.
But I don't need to push the fob to unlock it.

Sorry but your comment about auto presenting door handles is a bit OT.