Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did the lack of Falcon Wing Doors dealbreaker for you?

Did the lack of Falcon Wing Doors dealbreaker for you?

• No, I did not want Falcon Wing Doors and I am ordering it due to the lack of FWD.

Votes: 27 37.5%
  • No, I did not want Falcon Wing Doors, but I am not ordering for other reasons. (Please explan)

Votes: 28 38.9%
  • Yes, I wanted to have Falcon Wing Doors but I am still ordering it. (Please explain)

Votes: 11 15.3%
  • Yes, I wanted to have Falcon Wing Doors and therefore I am not ordering due to lack of FWD

Votes: 6 8.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife wants the extra seats, and I'm having a hard time imagining anybody getting into the third row with those regular doors. So it may be a deal breaker for me. I would also like air suspension as I have a steep driveway. I'd probably go for the X whenever they have another battery breakthrough.

The Falcon Wing Doors and absurdly large windshield were deal-breakers for me on the X. I had rez #3000 or so and cancelled.

I think the Y is nice looking, however, I won't be buying another Tesla until they improve their shoddy customer service and lack of replacement parts.

The Falcon Wing Doors and absurdly large windshield were deal-breakers for me on the X. I had rez #3000 or so and cancelled.

I think the Y is nice looking, however, I won't be buying another Tesla until they improve their shoddy customer service and lack of replacement parts.

The FWD and absurdly large windshield are two of the reasons we love our X. Lol. It’s just such a unique car.

"I would assume not many wanted FWD (Falcon Wing Door) due to technical issues from Model X, but I am sure there are some who wanted the feature in Model Y. Just want to see how many were interested in it."

We have 2016 X and 2018 X, I had one issue with the FWD. The 2016 was parked outside one day and I tried to open the FWD and it said I had obstruction. There was no object anywhere. I finally looked on the top and there was a big pile of bird poop on top.

• Funny
Reactions: SmartElectric
The FWD were a PITA for Tesla to produce and are an unnecessary attention gainer in parking lots. I learned that if there was any chance I would be in a rush or otherwise antisocial, I should not put anything on the backseat. If I do, it will always start a conversation with a random passerby when I have to open the door to get to it.

As far as buying the Y goes: I was already halfway across the fence onto the "do not buy" side. The only thing that might have made me lean back the other way was if the Y had the panoramic windshield, which is my absolute favorite thing about the X. No windshield = no purchase.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
The FWD were a PITA for Tesla to produce and are an unnecessary attention gainer in parking lots. I learned that if there was any chance I would be in a rush or otherwise antisocial, I should not put anything on the backseat. If I do, it will always start a conversation with a random passerby when I have to open the door to get to it.

As far as buying the Y goes: I was already halfway across the fence onto the "do not buy" side. The only thing that might have made me lean back the other way was if the Y had the panoramic windshield, which is my absolute favorite thing about the X. No windshield = no purchase.

Yes, same here on Panoramic windshield. I love it in my Model X, too. View alone is just worth a lot for the hefty price of the car.

If the FWD was not found in Model Y, I hoped at least the helicopter/panoramic windshield was present, but I was disappointed that that was missing.

Falcon wing doors are stupid, make exiting difficult for passengers when the car is parked next to other objects, and prevent using roof racks (limiting the "Utility" of the sports utility vehicle).

I have a Model X P100D, so I speak from experience. I don't need a car to show off. I need functionality. As great as the Model X is, it would be even better with a "delete falcon wing option".

The Model Y is much more functional without falcon door wings and I think it is a great step in the correct direction.

Reactions: Barry
Falcon wing doors are stupid, make exiting difficult for passengers when the car is parked next to other objects, and prevent using roof racks (limiting the "Utility" of the sports utility vehicle).

I have a Model X P100D, so I speak from experience. I don't need a car to show off. I need functionality. As great as the Model X is, it would be even better with a "delete falcon wing option".

The Model Y is much more functional without falcon door wings and I think it is a great step in the correct direction.

we have an X and 3, and having used both there is a lot of utility in the wing doors for our family needs. From a perspective of having kids, car seats ect.. so much easier with the FWDs... loading an infant in a car seat, buckling straps protected from the rain, so much better. Also we take our older parents around and so much easier for them to step up and in and sit down verses pivoting and crouching down into a smaller aperture and seat. As you mentioned, I didn’t get the wings to show off, and sometimes I wish it could be more discrete but the benefits for us outweigh any of those feelings.

Air suspension. Hard to drink hot coffee on the freeway when the road isn’t perfect.

Interesting, guess since I always keep my x on low, I don’t notice a huge improvement in suspension between our 3 and x. To be honest I feel like the 3 takes harder hits or bumps (ie a speedbump) better than our x, although the ride in general feels more firm. If that make sense.