Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did the non-P 90D spoiler behavior change in .42?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the .42 update, it seems that the active spoiler on the 90D behaves differently. It doesn't come out all the way like it used to when the fob is in range, but it does eventually extend fully when actually driving, and then retracts when stopping. Anyone else notice this, or am I imagining things?

I compared videos with someone on a different forum - his spoiler still extends all the way when unlocking the car, mine only a little bit. We both have 90Ds with .42.

Not to hijack the thread, but is the spoiler fixed (non-moving) on the P model now? I was playing around on the configurator earlier today and don't see it mentioned and the pictures show it extended for all models now.

I’ll check mine tonight but I haven’t noticed any different behavior recently.

All models now have fixed spoilers. @Zaphod
Thanks. Seeing as it did improve efficiency slightly, guess it was more hassle and trouble for Tesla than it was worth. Retractable spoilers are nothing new in the automotive world, so not sure why they couldn't make it work.

Reactions: McManX
Thanks. Seeing as it did improve efficiency slightly, guess it was more hassle and trouble for Tesla than it was worth. Retractable spoilers are nothing new in the automotive world, so not sure why they couldn't make it work.
I believe the efficiency is still there on the fixed one, but the visibility is worse below 46MPH since the retractable flattens out. I really wish they still made the retractable. It looks much better to me when parked.

Reactions: invisik and McManX
The original description said the active spoiler improved efficiency slightly at higher speeds but not sure how true that is
Interesting. I'll have to compare the 46+ speed angle with a fixed one. I'm almost positive it only has three positions, unless that has changed in software in the last few months. Down (parked & locked), fully extended/flat (<46 mph), and ~1/2 extended/angled (>=46MPH).

I guess the surface area could be different too.

Not to hijack the thread, but is the spoiler fixed (non-moving) on the P model now? I was playing around on the configurator earlier today and don't see it mentioned and the pictures show it extended for all models now.
Early X 90D's came with active spoilers (mine was built in April 2016). Normally ONLY Performance X's came with active spoilers, but I suspect Tesla didn't have the fixed spoilers in stock yet and wanted to deliver the vehicles, so they included at no cost the active spoilers you normally see on the P90/100D X's.

Back story how I learned this: A 12 yr old kid who's family has a 6 seater X came up to me since I was giving them the 1 outlet for charging at a hotel, and told me "awesome, you have a performance X". I assured him I didn't, I know I didn't drop an extra $40k, and he told me then how do I have an active spoiler. So, I researched it, and realized Tesla shipped early non-P Xs with the active spoilers. Sweetness!

Reactions: jgrgnt and McManX
I did some super scientific testing with my iPhone & hand while I had a loaner with a fixed spoiler. Measuring with my hand, they appear identical in shape and size except the stanchions that hold them up. I used some free level app that I forgot the name of on an iPhone X without a case and placed it above the weep hole (assembly locator hole? not sure) for the CHMSL. The fixed spoiler measured 2.5 degrees. The adjustable spoiler measured 1.4 degrees in <46 MPH mode and 10.8 degrees in >46 MPH mode. Both cars were measured while at the same supercharger stall.

• Informative
Reactions: McManX
I did some super scientific testing with my iPhone & hand while I had a loaner with a fixed spoiler. Measuring with my hand, they appear identical in shape and size except the stanchions that hold them up. I used some free level app that I forgot the name of on an iPhone X without a case and placed it above the weep hole (assembly locator hole? not sure) for the CHMSL. The fixed spoiler measured 2.5 degrees. The adjustable spoiler measured 1.4 degrees in <46 MPH mode and 10.8 degrees in >46 MPH mode. Both cars were measured while at the same supercharger stall.
I'm curious: How did you hold the iPhone on the spoiler while traveling >46 MPH?

• Funny
Reactions: qadaemon and McManX