Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did they demonstrate sun visors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm one of those people that eschews sunroofs because the light on my eyes really annoys and bothers me. I wear sunglasses 100% of the time when outside and in the car (unless it's dark out :tongue:) and really love cars with great, big, creative sun visors. I love ones that slide in and out, extend, have folding pieces to double their height, etc. So the new windshield, while it looks cool, concerns me. I would need mega visors to block the sun with that.

So, did we get pics of the sun visors yet?

Answer:
image.jpeg

I stumbled across a video of them. Pretty clever - AND LIGHTED - but I do wonder what happens if the sun is ABOVE the visor??? Tesla Pittsburgh on Twitter:
First, the glass above the visor is heavily tinted. Without actually sitting in the X during the day (I have not sat in the car at all) it's probably hard to appreciate how dark the upper windshield glass is. But I am sure Tesla put a lot of thought into that.
Second, based on that video it appears that one could, after unfolding the visor downwards, simply flip it upwards so that it covered the glass area above the pivot point instead of below it.
So if the sun is high and the amount of light transmitted through the tinted portion of the windshield is too much for you, place the visors in the "up" position. If the sun is lower, place them in the "down" position.
Very cool design.

Last edited:
First, the glass above the visor is heavily tinted. Without actually sitting in the X during the day (I have not sat in the car at all)) it's probably hard to appreciate how dark the upper windshield glass is. But I am sure Tesla put a lot of thought into that.

If it's as dark as the pano roof on the Model S (which I think is likely) then there should be nothing to worry about. I was quite concerned that my Model S didn't have a retractable shade like every other car's sun roofs seem to have, but it has never once been an issue for me even under the brightest of sun conditions.

- - - Updated - - -

I also worry about the privacy issue for such big windshield.
Can people outside see through the tinted part of the windshield?

Not sure I get this. If someone wanted to look in, why wouldn't they just look straight through the clear section rather than climbing up and looking down?

Thank you for that video clip, Newscutter. I am confused about the dual flap: from the video, it appears that the second fold-down lies directly atop the first one...but surely it has a further function than simply covering the mirror? Might it have its own swing-out hinge, so that the visor can simultaneously cover windshield and side window?

If it's as dark as the pano roof on the Model S (which I think is likely) then there should be nothing to worry about. I was quite concerned that my Model S didn't have a retractable shade like every other car's sun roofs seem to have, but it has never once been an issue for me even under the brightest of sun conditions.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure I get this. If someone wanted to look in, why wouldn't they just look straight through the clear section rather than climbing up and looking down?

Drones, baby!

(I'm pretty sure the Tesla-logoed tinfoil hat accessory will take care of that though.)

Thank you for that video clip, Newscutter. I am confused about the dual flap: from the video, it appears that the second fold-down lies directly atop the first one...but surely it has a further function than simply covering the mirror? Might it have its own swing-out hinge, so that the visor can simultaneously cover windshield and side window?
It might be necessary to cover the mirror when not in use, since in some positions mirror could reflect the sun into traffic. (normally there is not window above the visor to shine through)

I think he is wondering why there are 2 flaps, one over the mirror and another on top of that flap again. To me, I think it is to address some complaints that people had about the sun visor being too small to block any sunlight when the sun is position in front of the car.

Outer flap makes the visor wide enough to be useful when deployed, but small enough when stowed.
Inner flap activates the light switch, as well as hides the mirror when the visor is turned up instead of down (when the sun is high in the sky)