Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did they make v10 UI better for Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only thing that tempts me about v10 is "Joe Mode". On road trips, there have been many times I avoided enabling AP because my wife was asleep in the passenger seat. The loud two-tone chime on transitions would wake her up, every single time.

For the record, I could care less about fart apps or video games in the car. When I'm in the car, I just want to be able to do the car-controlling things (adjust the climate controls, change the audio system source, open the sunroof, turn off/flash the headlights, etc.) in a quick and safe manner. But clearly, if their current target market wants these other things and it's selling cars, that's what they'll keep doing.

Still, I haven't yet seen detailed screenshots of v10, only the release notes at this point. It will be interesting to see whether they've added refinements that haven't been called out.

I still can’t believe they named something a name that means nothing to anyone that doesn’t know the original of an Internet term (and googling it at the time got you nowhere). Joe Mode is insane. Why not Quiet mode or Kid mode or Sleep mode?

Agree. The first idea that popped into my head when I heard the car was getting Joe mode was the equivalent of "take me to the nearest cafe" But alas that is the "feeling hungry" mode.

I've never had an S with 8.x but I really wish there was a clear indication of what level the suspension is at, and a clear way to raise/lower it vs diving 3 levels into the menus. My audi allroad was perfect in that regard though the other air suspension audis also bury the menu elsewhere, but *those* aren't at risk of jamming the nose of the car into the ground if they're on low.

Reactions: Damien Sandow
I'm specifically asking about any app on top/any app on bottom that I'm still enjoying in 8.1. Or is there still no reason for me to upgrade my 2016 AP1.0.

I think you are SOL. I think the v9 UI will remain for a long time, so you will either accept it and move on, or try and hang on to v8 for as long as you can.

You will find that service might be an issue as they expect users to be on one of the latest revs and they even stage the new firmware in advance of the service appointment (at least they do for mobile appointments).

Reactions: boaterva
I'm sure we're SOL for at least another year. I wouldn't mind trying the new UI, but the point of no return is a major contention. I'm not so much concerned about the usability of the new UI, but worried it will slow down the functioning of Slacker, the browser(which I use), navigation and the starting up of my car out of sleep mode. I'm starting to want some of the new features, like the parental control feature, so I'm more comfortable letting my 16 year old take the car.

I'm also concerned I don't have the latest safety improvements like blind spot warning and the latest and greatest automatic braking. I don't care about all the games and BS. I just want a nice functioning car like I currently have with version 8.

I also wouldn't care as long as there was an MCU upgrade that I could do, if things did slow down too much. I really feel like Tesla is ****ing us on this whole deal. I'm certainly not buying another Tesla if this experience doesn't go well.

I'm sure we're SOL for at least another year. I wouldn't mind trying the new UI, but the point of no return is a major contention. I'm not so much concerned about the usability of the new UI, but worried it will slow down the functioning of Slacker, the browser(which I use), navigation and the starting up of my car out of sleep mode. I'm starting to want some of the new features, like the parental control feature, so I'm more comfortable letting my 16 year old take the car.

I'm also concerned I don't have the latest safety improvements like blind spot warning and the latest and greatest automatic braking. I don't care about all the games and BS. I just want a nice functioning car like I currently have with version 8.

I also wouldn't care as long as there was an MCU upgrade that I could do, if things did slow down too much. I really feel like Tesla is ****ing us on this whole deal. I'm certainly not buying another Tesla if this experience doesn't go well.

I think Fart Mode is one of the may reasons to upgrade

I'm sure we'll be hearing something about the MCU/2 Retrofit in the coming months (before Dec 31, 2019).

I think Fart Mode is one of the may reasons to upgrade

I'm sure we'll be hearing something about the MCU/2 Retrofit in the coming months (before Dec 31, 2019).

I have been told by multiple service tech that the MCU1 and MCU2 are quite unique in tern of connectivity with the car. According to the tech, unless there is a new MCU, it is not possible to retrofit. They have also claimed, Elon did not promise the upgrade, he said yes to LTE upgrade only.

I've never had an S with 8.x but I really wish there was a clear indication of what level the suspension is at, and a clear way to raise/lower it vs diving 3 levels into the menus. My audi allroad was perfect in that regard though the other air suspension audis also bury the menu elsewhere, but *those* aren't at risk of jamming the nose of the car into the ground if they're on low.
100% agree with this considering for the P spec cars we are also told NOT to launch hard with the suspension set high, it is a pain to dive deep in to menus to check where the car has decided what level it wants to be at.

I'm starting to think the software team never drive these cars day in day out to get a feel for the difference between what works sitting at a desk vs trying to navigate through layers of menus at highway speeds.

I have been told by multiple service tech that the MCU1 and MCU2 are quite unique in tern of connectivity with the car. According to the tech, unless there is a new MCU, it is not possible to retrofit. They have also claimed, Elon did not promise the upgrade, he said yes to LTE upgrade only.
3E9185AE-CDE7-4E9E-896B-C4080189DEDE.jpeg

He’s just saying you can pay for it. He doesn't say you will actually receive it. He’s an evil genius no doubt.

I was shocked when my 2017 MS couldn't even connect to a Wireless N WiFi network, I had to drop the router back from N only to b/g/n just for the Tesla :eek:. The way the older MCU's run with V9 on them I don't think having 4G / LTE is going to do anything for browsing speed improvements anyway.

Lol i just read that post again. You are right. Elon is referring to LTE upgrade.
No way. He's referencing the whole comment about there being a lack of MCU1 functionality. The LTE upgrade isn't going to fix that. If he's only referencing the LTE upgrade part then he's either a total dumb ass or a pathological liar. I'm going to have to go with the later.

The messed up part is I love my car and I am totally fine with the way it is. It's just all of the false promises and let downs that piss me off. When I bought my car I told myself to stay off this forum, and to not follow Tesla anymore. I knew better.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Cheburashka