Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did they make v10 UI better for Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They have selectively forced some cars to update from V8 to V9, though
That is interesting, last year my car was at the SC and I got the notification on my phone that an update was available. I rang them and said can you guys just do it when it is convenient for you rather than me start it from my phone. They told me they were not allowed to do software updates to the car because customers had to acknowledge the new features themselves.

Now I get that Tesla and consistent are two words you can't use in the same sentence but it makes sense they cannot force an update to the car when the whole GUI changes so drastically between major software revisions.

Reactions: pilotSteve
They told me they were not allowed to do software updates to the car because customers had to acknowledge the new features themselves.
There are probably regional laws and/or regulations that apply. I stopped installing at 2018.42. Is getting an actual list of new features before installing something that was since added? They didn't even provide so much as a version number before installation up through at least 2018.42 as you probably know.

There are probably regional laws and/or regulations that apply. I stopped installing at 2018.42. Is getting an actual list of new features before installing something that was since added? They didn't even provide so much as a version number before installation up through at least 2018.42 as you probably know.

If Tesla doesn't own the car, it seems like pretty much everywhere they would need the owner's consent to make changes to the car. (Or, in some cases, a government could perhaps mandate a software update, I guess.) I'm surprised no one has sued Tesla yet over a forced software update!

I would assume it's been to a service center at least once or twice without them forcing you to update?

Yes, a few times. The first time I told them I did not want them to update it and made them put it in the work order. Since then Service is so overwhelmed they don't have time to update people's cars.

I wouldn't take that as evidence that they can't force an update. Tesla has never done a fleet-wide force, as far as I know. They have selectively forced some cars to update from V8 to V9, though, and they may be able to do the same with V7, if they choose.

If people are saying they are going to lengths to prevent getting updated, that makes me assume they force updates when they can. Since I'm not doing anything to prevent it, it all leads me to believe they added the ability to update without confirmation in a later version than mine. Not proof, of course, but if they are forcing updates on others, why not me, unless they can't?

If people are saying they are going to lengths to prevent getting updated, that makes me assume they force updates when they can. Since I'm not doing anything to prevent it, it all leads me to believe they added the ability to update without confirmation in a later version than mine. Not proof, of course, but if they are forcing updates on others, why not me, unless they can't?

I don't think you're correct, because I still have V8 (which is a version that I know they can use to force and update), and I have taking no measures to prevent an update (other than dismissing the nag every time I get in the car). My car is connected to my house WiFi every night. So they have, for whatever reason, chosen to force some cars with V8 to V9, but not others.

I don't think you're correct, because I still have V8 (which is a version that I know they can use to force and update), and I have taking no measures to prevent an update (other than dismissing the nag every time I get in the car). My car is connected to my house WiFi every night. So they have, for whatever reason, chosen to force some cars with V8 to V9, but not others.
I'm still on V8 also. I told a Tesla sales guy that last week, and he said he's never heard of any issues with V9 and had never heard of anyone staying on V8 for this long. I should send him a few links so he can come on here and tell everyone how great V9 is.

The browser is now forced to be nearly full screen only. Previously in v9 you can have it half screen or full screen, allowing you to run the browser on the bottom half and then the map on the top. I hope they fix this.

That's bad. I just came back from a trip to California and had Tesla Winds on the browser most of the trip. I wouldn't want it full screen.

Reactions: BrokerDon
Why have the map up all the time? And why is it important that it be on top? Just curious.

Personally, I do 99% of my driving in familiar territory where maps are not needed, and when I do need to use it I prefer the map on the other screen. I never used the one on the center screen and don't like v9/v10 keeping it open 100% of the time to the detriment of all other use cases. I have no problem with people doing things different than I like it, but I do have a problem with Tesla telling me I can't have it the way I liked it ever again.

The one thing I liked on the center map was the arrival & return to destination % reminders, and they broke those on the center screen too.

Generally we don’t need the map to know where we’re going. But it sure is handy to see the traffic backups and then take an alternate route if it’s bad enough.

The only issue I have with V10 is not being able to split the screen. Map on top Waze on the bottom. Submitted a bug report for that already.

They took the traffic out of my maps so it's useless for your example too. It used to show green for good traffic and orange/red for bad, now it only occasionally shows red so I don't know if "nothing" means good traffic or no data. Useless.

Someone messaged me about custom firmwares coming - I'm hoping soon I can downgrade to a custom v8 and lock in on that firmware forever.

Reactions: thecloud and am_dmd
They took the traffic out of my maps so it's useless for your example too. It used to show green for good traffic and orange/red for bad, now it only occasionally shows red so I don't know if "nothing" means good traffic or no data. Useless.

Someone messaged me about custom firmwares coming - I'm hoping soon I can downgrade to a custom v8 and lock in on that firmware forever.
Please share with us all.

Yet another reason why Tesla should just quit persisting with their own GUI and integrate Android Auto / CarPlay.
Google Maps, Spotify, Phone UI etc are all done far better on mobile devices, that is why nearly all manufacturers are transitioning to offering AA / CarPlay functionality.
Not only that it transfers the data usage for maps, Spotify streaming etc to the owners mobile device saving Tesla money.

I'm sad to report that after over a year of declining updates and staying happily on 2018.34.1, I just woke up to a car that updated itself on it's own (2019.32.12.1). To answer my own question, v10 for model S is not better. I can no longer run waze and backup camera at the same time. If I run waze, the UI keeps the full normal map up in the background, which is just unnecessary and makes my passengers question it. Not a good experience and I'll be bugging my service center until they re-stage the old firmware.

I'm sad to report that after over a year of declining updates and staying happily on 2018.34.1, I just woke up to a car that updated itself on it's own (2019.32.12.1). To answer my own question, v10 for model S is not better. I can no longer run waze and backup camera at the same time. If I run waze, the UI keeps the full normal map up in the background, which is just unnecessary and makes my passengers question it. Not a good experience and I'll be bugging my service center until they re-stage the old firmware.

Just tagging @thecloud, who is keeping a list. (Tesla forced an update of my P85D to 2019.16.2)