Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did this DIY ceramic coating make a noticeable difference?

Which side has the ceramic coating?

• Left

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Right

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Neither

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Both

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Applied a ceramic coat to the Model 3 recently, after getting the car back from the bodyshop (where they fixed some paint issues).

From what I can tell it seems to have made a difference, but that could just be a placebo effect. So...how about a poll?

Here's a couple of photos of the car, side-by-side (click for full-size):

ceramic_coating_compare.jpg

Both were taken in the same location, at the same time of day, under similar weather/lighting conditions, with the same camera. I've tried to keep everything as close to identical as possible (though the zoom isn't consistent across both shots, sorry).

One photo was taken the day I got the car from Tesla, and one was taken a day after applying the ceramic coating. Can you tell which is which?

Applied a ceramic coat to the Model 3 recently, after getting the car back from the bodyshop (where they fixed some paint issues).

From what I can tell it seems to have made a difference, but that could just be a placebo effect. So...how about a poll?

Here's a couple of photos of the car, side-by-side (click for full-size):

View attachment 472686

Both were taken in the same location, at the same time of day, under similar weather/lighting conditions, with the same camera. I've tried to keep everything as close to identical as possible (though the zoom isn't consistent across both shots, sorry).

One photo was taken the day I got the car from Tesla, and one was taken a day after applying the ceramic coating. Can you tell which is which?
Right hand photo = ceramic coated.

What would have been nice is before and after videos of the water beading.

That would make it too obvious, I think. I coated the front windscreen but skipped the top glass panel and there's a significant difference between what water does on each one. Same when comparing the body panels against the top glass.

I think that's the power of ceramic coating (shedding dirt and water). Which DIY product did you use?

Armor Shield IX. Someone suggested it over in the Model 3 thread. A few hundred pages back or so. :)

• Informative
Reactions: jmaddr
Applied a ceramic coat to the Model 3 recently, after getting the car back from the bodyshop (where they fixed some paint issues). From what I can tell it seems to have made a difference, but that could just be a placebo effect. So...how about a poll?
The value of ceramic coating, as I understand it, is to make it much easier to clean the car. Not to physically change the appearance.

Reactions: paulp and jgdc
The value of ceramic coating, as I understand it, is to make it much easier to clean the car. Not to physically change the appearance.

This.

I can't really pick any visual difference after I put on the coat (CQ.UK 3.0) but all I need to do now (to 99% clean the car) is hose it and then drive it. The dust/dirt easily hoses off and the water then slides off as I drive (it helps that I have an 80km/hr zone 1km away). The only thing I have to wipe are greasy finger marks.

The greatest visual gain is having all of the micro-scratches from the delivery process buffed out, also known as paint correction.
Ceramic coating makes the car less likely to scratch during cleaning, and is slippery so makes cleaning substantially easier.