Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did those who ordered the Accessory Hitch, get that or actually a REAL Towing Package?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm trying to decide (within the next 2 days before my MX configuration gets locked down) whether to change my order to include the Towing Package or leave it as the Accessory Hitch. I have NO need to tow, but I need more than 120lbs of vertical weight capacity that the new 2" Accessory Hitch has. Tesla's Delivery Dept has confirmed that despite the 1.25" change to 2" hitch receiver recently, the vertical "tongue weight" on the receiver is still 120 lbs. (doh!) With 4 bikes and a bike rack, 120lbs doesn't leave much "headroom" for bouncing down the road without straining the Accessory Hitch at a bump in the road.

So, the question is: For those who ordered the Accessory Hitch (not Towing Package), and see the wiring harness under the hitch cover, are you sure that you actually got a freebie FULL Towing Package upgrade? I think the only real way to know for sure is if:

A) the hitch that people got when they ordered the Accessory Hitch is actually mounted to the car's frame exactly the same way as the Towing Package hitch is mounted. If someone assumes their ordered Accessory Hitch is actually a Towing Hitch and has towing capacity (which the Accessory Hitch doesn't), then that could be disastrous towing something behind the MX! The litmus test would be to visually compare the mounting method under a MX with the Accessory Hitch vs a Towing Package. I read that the wiring harness and software mode seems to be there for those who bought the Accessory Hitch, so that's further confusing.

or

B) maybe the original window sticker will state "Towing Package" instead of Accessory Hitch, although the latter was ordered and paid for. (meaning Tesla gave the owner a freebie upgrade for whatever production reason)

Also, does anyone know if the MX Accessory Hitch can be upgraded to a Towing Package at a service center months after the car is built? If so, I wonder how much that might run.

Can anyone who ordered the Accessory Hitch please shed some light on this? Tesla doesn't seem to know for sure.

I will not be reporting what I get, but I can tell you that the Towing Package is only $750 which is very reasonable. If you need it, you should get it. Just because one or two early cars who ordered the accessory hitch may have gotten a towing package freebie, does not mean that will be the case with all cars. Just think how you will regret not getting towing, if you need it but got the accessory hitch instead with an incorrect assumption that you may get towing anyway.

Reactions: systemcrashed
So far those that have ordered the AH have received the TP. Sort of. The last couple reports are missing the actual receiver.

Towing without the Towing Package

I can't recall where I read it but I believe the AH can be installed later at the SC but the TP cannot (factory only). Of course, that's Tesla speak. Originally the 48 and 72 amp chargers where different but now we find out it's a software upgrade. ;)

I agree with LeonardD that I would not play the guessing game here. Only order what you want and not what you think you will get unless you confirm with Tesla in writing first.

It might have been cheaper or easier to give the few of us the full towing option in order to move the cars earlier rather than delay for a feature that might be supply constrained. That cut over could/has happened any time now.

BTW the same could be said about the active spoiler too.

The Towing package shows up on my screen even though I only bought the accessory hitch. In addition to the connector in the rear I got a small connector that apparently can be wired to an auxiliary trailer brake that could be installed near the steering wheel.

Last edited:
When you make a purchase that you intend to keep for several years, it seems prudent to include every eventuality. Since you can't be sure you won't ever use the towing package, you may as well pay the $750 in case you change you mind. Who knows, maybe you and your sweetie will want to tow a teardrop trailer someday. And, if you ever sell your MX, the towing package may help close the deal.

A full towing package will allow you to attach this relatively cheap aluminum cargo tray and carry up to 500 lbs. You can still use it in a limited fashion without the towing package, but in my mind it really extends the capabilities of the Model X without having to pull a wheeled trailer.
image_25172.jpg