Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did v8 cause as much crap as V9...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I’m relatively new to Tesla and whilst I accept there is always reisistance to change I’ve been a little amazed how much debate V9 has caused to our Teslatonians across the pond, we ain’t even got it yet...

Was there this much heated debate when v8 landed? Or was Tesla user base sooo much smaller then?

No. There wasn't. Some people complained about the icons and some other changes. It blew over.
If there were multiple threads complaining, a change.org petition, a campaign to send executive service requests, people scheduling SC visits to try to get version rollbacks, many people saying they were holding off updating, etc., then I missed it. I saw virtually none of that.

It's only the S and X folks complaining. The interface hasn't changed much for the 3. Many of the S and X folks were drooling over the 3 minimalist interior and now freaked out when they start to get it.
Nope, no drooling here. I prefer my MS interior and v8 as it was designed for the MS/X displays. V9 is designed for the single M3 display.

Reactions: Brutaka
...reisistance to change...

It's not about change! I love change. I love progress. But V9 is about rip-off!

Model S and X owners paid for a spacious 17" screen display and V9 has downgraded it to a Model 3 15" display user interface restriction.

From the beginning smaller Model 3 15" display has never been able to do what Model S and X could due to its smaller screen:

Rearview camera on top half and TeslaWinds.com on a browser on the bottom half:

ueevftz.jpg

With V9, Model S and X now becomes Model 3 and can't do what it could before since the introduction of Model S in 2012 or 8 years so far!

That is not progress. It's pure incompetence!

Model S and X owners paid for a spacious 17" screen display and V9 has downgraded it to a Model 3 15" display user interface restriction.

From the beginning smaller Model 3 15" display has never been able to do what Model S and X could due to its smaller screen:

ueevftz.jpg

With V9, Model S and X now becomes Model 3 and can't do what it could before since the introduction of Model S in 2012 or 8 years so far!

Tesla turned our console into a giant TomTom

.... I take that back, the TomTom display looks better

Same for 8.0. Happens every time. TMC has the archeological info if anyone cares to search.

I can understand the value for Tesla to “harmonize” the UIs so there’s a simpler code base. I agree as long term S owner that there are a few items (like control over window placement and option to have 2 windows that are not maps) that they should figure out how to restore. Let’s hope they find a way to accomplish both. And maybe PUHLEEZ address usb music bugs!

ueevftz.jpg

But isn’t an opinion/preference?

I’ve not had my Tesla long enough to be attached to it but I honestly only use my camera when I park I don’t personally care what’s behind me when I’m driving forward. “Maybe I was a bmw driver in past life”

Not sure how I feel about sat nav always been on but I’ve not seen and real loss of functionality unless you count not being able to stick camera at the top? Which and I’m new to Tesla but not even sure driving with the camera on would be deemed legal, it’s a parking aid and nothing more really even if it has been adopted as something else?

I honestly only use my camera when I park

handy when the back is stuffed with ... stuff .. and you can't see anything in rear view mirror. Not that lorry drivers have a problem of course ... and I've seen Bjorn use his camera on MX to check that the tow-bar and trailer are "in good order".

I don't use SatNav much; Waze has much better rerouting for traffic. use SatNav when close to destination to see "big map of surrounding area". more likely to have Radio/Music and "something" else open - Energy or Browser.

I'd be disappointed if that choice was taken away. Can't see why anything should be forced into a specific position, I'm sure plenty of creative people have come up with methods-of-use that suit them and will be narked if that ability goes away. That's the main problem with user interface changes, unless you provide "classic mode" type backward compatibility, the ingenuity of some users to use the old interface in ways that today's DEVs are completely unaware of ... plus of course things like old-eyes and ability to focus; my wife sturggles with one half of the screen whilst wearing driving glasses. I'm dyslexic and have slow visual processing, and struggle with anything remotely "flat" in design. V8 was definitely "not the car I bought" to quote an earlier poster, and I still hate the UI compared to the earlier one as it is much harder for me to use.

Reactions: firewire
lots of hyperbole as usual, a significant proportion by people who havent even got the update yet.
What else do you expect on an internet forum? Nothing to worry about.
There should still be people around on v6 who swore blind they would never upgrade.

biggest thing seems to be about not being able to put the rear view camera on the top half of the screen with another app on the bottom half.
I cannot imagine ever wanting to do this and would have thought it distracting enough it might even be classed as illegal in some markets, but for some it seems so important that their vehicle is now crap and to the point of never buying another Tesla again. Really?

I guess Tesla could have collected data on how people set their screens (maybe they did) and tweaked the options accordingly.

Tesla will be listening though, and if they consider it important enough and doable, then updates will come in due course to address the issues raised. But how does the saying go - you can never please all the people all the time.

Personally I just love the way the vehicles keep evolving as it just adds a uniquely enjoyable facet to ownership.

But isn’t an opinion/preference?

Let's do an example: A home is lost in a hurricane is a fact.

It has never been mine. I can't live in it prior to the hurricane nor can I live in it after the hurricane.

That is not my home, why would I care about it?

Just because I don't care about a home that's lost in a hurricane, it does not mean the loss is not a fact.

To some people, although they have no experience with it or experience it, they still care because of scientific curiosity as they want to know how to make a home hurricane-resistance or some other goals.

And that is perfectly fine to say that I don't need that kind of high level of Model S and X user interface flexibility but to say that the loss is just an opinion or preference is just very disturbing.

surely not so,
It's not lost, just in a different place with a higher entropy
(my heartfelt sympathy to all those affected by such disasters of course)

the rest of your post did totally lose me though

That entropy is a b!tch when it gets too high.

Basically, some MS/X owners are complaining because their consoles have been reduced to that of a M3, and M3 owners think we are whiners because they do not know what was lost.

The new v9 interface is optimized for a single screen which displays the map with secondary apps overlaid (mostly the media player). This is great if you have a single screen, can’t drive without a map, and your hyper-activity disorder causes you to change streaming stations frequently. M3 owners seem to love v9.

However, this is sub-optimal for MS/X owners who have a lower-screen and an upper-screen and enjoyed the ability to customize those two screens with any combination of apps. Life was good and everyone could display what they wanted depending upon their personal preferences. With v9, MS/X owners have lost that ability -- the upper-screen now only displays the map (OK, except when backing up) and you can now only display a single app in the lower-screen (unless you do some funky finger dragging). The upper-screen is now delegated to the map which many drivers have no use for.