Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did vector mapping just got released?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning, driving to work, I noticed that the map zoomed in after I left the freeway without me giving any input.

Driving home, it did the same. Zooming in when not on the freeway and zooming out when on the freeway without any route planned.

I looked closer at the map and it seem quite clear that I was able to zoom closer than normal without losing resolution in the normal fashion.

@verygreen any indication something had been switched on, or anybody else have any similar experiences?

I’m on 2017.42, so not new firmware.

I had a thread about the exact same thing about a week or two ago. I would agree with you, some switch flipped in the cloud that resulted in massively faster map panning and zooming!
That as well, but the adaptive zooming really caught me by surprise!

I don’t use the navigation for my commute, so I don’t think I would have noticed it, if it weren’t for the sudden change in zoom level.

This morning, driving to work, I noticed that the map zoomed in after I left the freeway without me giving any input.

Driving home, it did the same. Zooming in when not on the freeway and zooming out when on the freeway without any route planned.

I looked closer at the map and it seem quite clear that I was able to zoom closer than normal without losing resolution in the normal fashion.

@verygreen any indication something had been switched on, or anybody else have any similar experiences?

I’m on 2017.42, so not new firmware.
That was happening from the day 1 for me. and stopped a week ago. So I looked a bit into it and concluded that basically if you start with a big zoom level then once you go onto a highway the map zooms out so you can actually see more than 5 seconds (made up number) worth of road on the map. Exit highway and it zooms right back in.

Now if outside of highway you manually zoom out considerably then entering highway does not do anything.

Think back to some recent time - did you recently really zoomed in and left it like this?

That said it looks like vector maps are enabled disabled all on their own too by mothership command, but I am not sure why.

Reactions: plumazul
It's been zooming in and out based on speed for months now (at 55 or 60 mph) assuming you were zoomed in on local roads less than the trigger speed. It was based on speed because if you were on a freeway and traffic slowed, it would zoom in.

Whether you are seeing something new, I can't say. But zooming has been around for a while.

No comment on vector versus tile; still seeing tiles (on .44).

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
It's been zooming in and out based on speed for months now (at 55 or 60 mph) assuming you were zoomed in on local roads less than the trigger speed. It was based on speed because if you were on a freeway and traffic slowed, it would zoom in.
That may be the case, can’t tell what other people’s experience is with adaptive zooming, however mine has only change level when a route has been plotted.

I guess I can only say my map behaves and looks differently today, than in the last 12 months. So I’m curious as to if any other had noticed anything.

I don’t exactly have a TeslaBjørn video setup in my car, but I’ll try to capture some video. I might be completely off, but it would be nice to know.

Ok, I’m not completely crazy... Well, I might be, but not about my map having changed.

So I did 2 test of driving on the freeway and 2 going off.
One of driving on tests I kept a steady 45 km/h to maintain speed, and the map zoomed out as soon as I hit the freeway, still at 45 km/h. So this is not speed related.

If you look at the map in the beginning and end of the video, you can also see individual train tracks at the local train station, that also haven’t been there before.

Could it have something to do with Google maps new look? Maybe a bit to soon for it to be appearing in third party applications?

"Over time, the new style will also appear in the apps, websites and experiences offered by companies that use Google Maps APIs as well. "
Google Maps gets a new look

/J
Well, I guess that’s a possibility, but if that’s the case, I assume most cars would have it now.
And they also might have, there’s only room for one Tesla in my parking spot, so can’t speak for other than mine.

It does seem something has changed.

When the map is scrolling as the car is moving, some of the items are "flashing" on the map - which could be the overlay with the real-time traffic data and street names.

I don't recall the software doing that in earlier releases.

It's possible this could be due to a change in the map display software OR it could be due to something else running on the processor, impacting the display.

For me, there's always been two zoom levels when using north-up or direction-up modes. You can customize the zoom level when you leave the freeway and you can customize the zoom level when you're on the freeway. It took me a while to notice it too but I've had this in my car for at least six months now.

my car has been zooming in on freeway segments (I thought) when coming upon complex interchanges or important intersections even as I maintain freeway speeds... and when I pass through the area the zoom level automatically resumes (pun intended) to the previously observed level. I wonder if each tile has a "preferred" or "best viewed at" zoom level associated with it?

For me, there's always been two zoom levels when using north-up or direction-up modes. You can customize the zoom level when you leave the freeway and you can customize the zoom level when you're on the freeway. It took me a while to notice it too but I've had this in my car for at least six months now.

customize as in "pre-set" or "train" the zoom level for a given situation (when the car collects certain inputs), or do you mean hitting the zoom button to a desired level (each time)?

customize as in "pre-set" or "train" the zoom level for a given situation (when the car collects certain inputs), or do you mean hitting the zoom button to a desired level (each time)?
For me, it automatically switches between two modes based on GPS, freeway and non-freeway zooming. When you enter the freeway (for example) and set the zoom anytime on the freeway, it remembers it and will go to that zoom level every time it enters the freeway (mode). I'll see if I can make a video to demonstrate.