TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Did we just get a final design hint?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by PTADO, Jan 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Model 3

Model 3 Active Member

#61 Model 3, Feb 1, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    That may be true. But what "same front end"? The new face-lift front end from X and S? Or the *newer* front end from Model 3?

If they wanted that front end from S&X on Model 3, why did it not have it on the unveiling? I would be more surprised to see that they change it in that direction, then I would have been if they showed it with mustache on the unveiling and removed it from the production model...

• Like x 3
  2. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

I agree. The S refresh with the mustache came out only a couple of months after the Model 3 prototype reveal, so if they wanted to show a unified design at that time, the prototype should have had a mustache too. If the clean-shaven look is the next evolutionary step (from vestigial nose cone to tiny mustache to blank), then it wouldn't make sense to reveal a blank nose on the prototype and then regress to a mustache on the production version.

• Like x 5
  3. plankeye

plankeye That Vegan EV Guy

Exactly, they would have to mold a recess into the plastic bumper to accept the (most likely) plastic mustache piece. That would obviously make production more complicated/costly, so this is just another reason why the stache isn't likely to happen.

• Like x 1
  4. Jayc

Jayc Member

It's going to be a very very long wait I suspect.

• Like x 5
  5. eisbock

eisbock Member

Right, but why would Tesla sell a shirt knowing the car won't look like this? There's a difference between PR and a physical item that essentially "advertises" the brand and vehicle. Seems silly and confusing to let the marketing department sell something they don't even make!

If anything, this is the greatest piece of evidence I've seen yet that points to the nose staying the same.

• Like x 2
  6. eisbock

eisbock Member

You would be unhappy too if somebody sewed your lips shut.

7. eisbock

eisbock Member

I have a theory that Tesla purposefully unveiled a controversially-designed car. What better way to garner attention than with something unusual? It was clever too. Let's make the car beautiful, but with one questionably beautiful identifying feature that makes people double take--no, triple take, and clamor to their nearest discussion board. Usually if a car is ugly, it's ugly everywhere. People don't know how to handle butter face cars. "How far can we go without people thinking it's a weirdmobile?"

Added bonus of extra public attention. People will discuss this car far harder and for far longer if there's something to debate. If it's unanimously loved, then why bother talking about it?

This is actually a fantastic experiment on Tesla's part and I'm very curious to see how they interpret the results. Was it a success? The reservations surely dictate as much. But could it have been more successful? How many pre-reveal reservations were immediately cancelled after showing the car? Was it too early in electric car adoption to be so "bold"? Should they have stayed safer like with the Model S?

Also, not related, but Tesla has a history of drastically changing the nose between concept and production. Maybe they want to do the stache, but can't change it to the stache if it's already there! Maybe mix things up and go backwards? Traditionally, Tesla removes "superfluous" ICE features (OG nosecone simply removes the bottom half) so let's instead add superfluous features!

I would think that if Tesla wanted to keep removing stuff, they would unveil the 3 with a stache and then remove it for production. This might cause an uproar though because the change would be much more shocking than OG nosecone to stache. Get the public used to it now while there's still time to turn back and gauge from there.

It's also possible that they didn't want to spoil the stache for the S refresh so did something else with the 3.

8. Model 3

Model 3 Active Member

You may have a point here, but in that case we also have to see the new face of Model X in the same light. It may have been a test: Would the customers accept this new face? As Model S later got the same face, and Model 3 something similar, they must have concluded that it was a successful test. Then Model 3 was a new test - would the customers accept an even less populated face? The reservations surely dictate as much as you said.
    No. They got over 250 more reservations in the next 6 weeks(?) after the unveiling, and even blew Elons mind. It could not have been more successful. So they must by now (or more precise: - before pencils down) got a green light to go on. Yes, the front may still change from what we have seen, but not backwards.

9. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

#69 JeffK, Feb 1, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    Besides the Model X, can you show what a drastic change from the Model S alpha car to the 2012 production car looks like? How about the Roadster?

Here's a video of the Model S alpha car to help you out:

10. alseTrick

alseTrick Active Member

I agree with you that they'd have to do one of those options, but I don't think think that's tricky. And not that anybody asked, I wouldn't care which one they did - if they add the mustache - as long as the mustache was flush with the rest of the nose/hood (as I've already said in this thread and past threads, and will continue to say in future threads).

11. Model 3

Model 3 Active Member

Not sure about if that car is an alpha or beta, but there is some differences between that one and the prototype that was unveiled. Here is the prototype:
    [​IMG]

12. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

That video is from Tesla's vimeo account calling it an alpha build... so that picture is probably a pre-alpha prototype or concept car. The one really shown to the public at reveal was the one from the video. Point being that the one displayed at reveal is pretty much what goes into production.

see beta reveal here

The only model that had a front end changed majorly between reveal and launch was the Model X. Keep in mind there were years between the reveal and launch of Model X.

13. Dan Detweiler

Dan Detweiler Active Member

Bring on the 'stache. I like the look.

Dan

14. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 100D 2019.16.2

Actually, it wasn't even a couple of months. The refreshed S was unveiled on 4/12/16, a mere twelve days after the Model 3 reveal event on 3/31/16.

15. Model 3

Model 3 Active Member

I called it "Prototype", so it may well be a pre-alpha, not sure where the alpha build is in all of this.

But the video you linked to is - as it is named - the unveiling of the *beta* (post-alpha) build. In the real Model S unveiling it was the prototype (alpha?) that was shown. Here it is:

As you see, there is some differences between this and the beta/production cars. Not as significant as it was with Model X, but still...

... and yes, I have always prefered the Prototype(Alpha?) design over the Beta/Production Model S, interior and exterior....

• Informative x 1
  16. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

haha I knew someone would find that video. I guess the final reveals are more informative of what the end product will look like. Model 3 still has one more reveal, my fingers are crossed for March.

• Like x 1
  17. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

The Model 3 isn't a mouth breather, so it dignifiedly keeps it mouth and lips closed and, instead, presents an enigmatic, restrained smile much like the Mona Lisa.

• Like x 1
  18. Model 3

Model 3 Active Member

Of course they are :)

Model 3 still has at lest one more reveal, ... ;) Remember that no one outside of Tesla saw the new face until the first deliveries of the production version :p

19. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

actually, I get the impression that the next reveal is more about the interior and other things. As you say, its entirely possible that exterior changes could be left until the final delivery show.
    I'm just hoping they confirm some details on functionality and capability

• Like x 1
  20. eisbock

eisbock Member

The question was rhetorical because we'll never know the answer. I'm not arguing that the Model 3 unveiling was a success, I'm wondering if it could have been even bigger.

It's no mystery that everybody wants a Tesla, but I can see some people on the fence being turned off by the looks. There's no reason a traditionally good-looking car would be less popular than something bold and controversial. Those 250k extra reservations could have been 500k. I know plenty of people who can't find fault with the S, but think the 3 is kinda weird.

I'm worried that the front end design only captured the reservations of die hard Tesla fanatics who will take a Tesla no matter what. People who were previously uninterested or ambivalent could easily dismiss the idea of a 3 based on looks alone. If it were more beautiful like the S, I could definitely see those people looking a little deeper into the purchase prospect.

The fact of the matter is that traditional good looks are much more likely to convert the fair weather fans than strange new designs. I'm sure the 3 swayed some people solely because it's different and unique, but I imagine it pushed a lot more people away, resulting in a net loss.

On the other hand, controversial looks may have helped Tesla. Traditional good looks don't generate as much news. Not as many people hear about it. There could be some people who may have never heard of the Model 3 if it was an amazing-looking car. Those people did hear about it because everybody loves to talk about controversy. Then they decided to take the plunge. You know what they say, no press is bad press.

But I think Tesla doesn't really care as long as it's enough of a success in the end, which it was. There is a balance between form and function, and you need to be kinda weird to maximize function. I fully expect Tesla to push the boundaries of weirdmobile in the future without ever going full-blown weird until they single-handedly change the market to like weirdmobiles.