TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Did we just get a final design hint?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by PTADO, Jan 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Model 3

Model 3 Active Member

Ok, then we are talking about different things. I thought you was taking about if Tesla saw the response they got on the unveiled car as an success or not, and it seams like we agree that they probably did. And if they did, my stance is that they see no reason change anything. They did get some response that the truck opening was a bit to small, and Elon was quick to promise that they would try to change that. But was only talking about a bit of adjustment of the front end.

And yes, I would have preferred if the front did look more like this:
    [​IMG]

... but I fine with the current front, as long as it just not get the mustache ;)

• Disagree x 1
  2. eisbock

eisbock Member

Yes, I agree that Tesla perceived the reveal and design as a success in the public's eye and has greenlit a very similar final design.

I'd love to get a comprehensive survey that shows how the reservation holders feel about their reservation. I'd be curious to see the breakdown between "love", "like", "meh", and "reserved, but holding out for better design". I can see a lot of people just getting in line to see how this all goes down.

3. eisbock

eisbock Member

What do you mean by this? From what I've seen so far, it looks like the headlight design is very different from S/X. Both S and X have headlights that are smaller in area and horizontally wrap around the side of the car, whereas the Model 3 headlights wrap up on top of the hood and are more Leaf-like. S/X headlights are in a more traditional location with a traditional shape.

The big selling point of S/X headlights are the daytime running lights, which Tesla calls the "signature lights". Both S/X have halo style DRLs that wrap around the headlight. These are both striking and make the cars stand out on the road. I'm always amazed at how quickly my eyes are drawn to Teslas.

The Model 3 unfortunately does not have a halo, but rather some lame spot on top of the headlights. I sure hope this changes because it's not very distinctive at all and would hurt brand awareness. Tesla DRLs are some of the best I've seen, but I am disappointed in what they came up with for their most important car yet. The A4 and C-class have great DRLs, so there's no reason the Model 3 can't be catchy and attractive as well. Hell, plenty of other far cheaper non-luxury cars have better DRLs. Take the Chrysler 200 for instance.

Really hoping this changes, but I'm not counting on it. I think what we see is what we're gonna get. Oh well.

4. plankeye

plankeye That Vegan EV Guy

I'm super-psyched for my Model 3! I want it just like they showed it at reveal 1. However, I wouldn't mind the trunk opening be a bit bigger. I'd even more like it to be a hatchback, but I'll take it as is. I've been waiting since 2011 for my first electric car. I was originally going to get a Leaf, but I'm glad I didn't (not a new one anyway). I feel the Model 3 will be a vehicle that I won't mind keeping for 8-10 years, whereas I don't think that would have been the case with the Leaf, especially in Texas with our hot summers.