Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did we pay more for tax incentive in 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm not sure if I truly saved vs not saved with these new price cuts.

My Model 3 is the dual motor, with only upgrades being white exterior for $2000, and autopilot for $5000. It came out to I believe around $60000 after all the upgrades, and before taxes, since I looked at the "before savings" price.

I only bought it mainly to take advantage of the tax savings, thinking the car will only be more expensive if I didn't buy it. It was $7500 Fed tax cut and $2500 from CA, so total of $10k in savings if I'm correct.

But now with these price drops, did us tax incentive buyers get screwed over thinking to buy early than just to wait until now? I am looking at these articles and there are actual protests happening for those who just bought a Tesla like a few days before the price cuts. But most the articles say it's mainly the Model S and Model X that got the major price cuts, not really much about Model 3 got a price cut, just only an entry level $35k model.

But going with that tax incentive, I know I was really only saving like $3750 since the tax incentive was just being cut by half. So yeah, who came out ahead, the person who used tax incentive in 2018, or the person who waited until now with less tax incentive but a price drop?

Last edited:
So I'm not sure if I truly saved vs not saved with these new price cuts.

My Model 3 is the dual motor, with only upgrades being white exterior for $2000, and autopilot for $5000. It came out to I believe around $60000 after all the upgrades, and before taxes, since I looked at the "before savings" price.

I only bought it mainly to take advantage of the tax savings, thinking the car will only be more expensive if I didn't buy it. It was $7500 Fed tax cut and $2500 from CA, so total of $10k in savings if I'm correct.

But now with these price drops, did us tax incentive buyers get screwed over thinking to buy early than just to wait until now? I am looking at these articles and there are actual protests happening for those who just bought a Tesla like a few days before the price cuts. But most the articles say it's mainly the Model S and Model X that got the major price cuts, not really much about Model 3 got a price cut, just only an entry level $35k model.

But going with that tax incentive, I know I was really only saving like $3750 since the tax incentive was just being cut by half. So yeah, who came out ahead, the person who used tax incentive in 2018, or the person who waited until now with less tax incentive but a price drop?
Tesla used and needed it to make the M3. Without the incentive you wouldn’t be driving the car because Tesla would have produced it. Enjoy your car.

Tesla cut the price on all models by 6000 at least. If you do the math, new buyers lost $3750 in tax credits but gained $6000 in price cuts in 2019.

So did Tesla harvest your tax credit for it's own benefit? Yes.

So what does that mean? Does that mean a new buyer who buys my exact configuration will only be saving $2250 over me, the earlier buyer?

Since 6000-3750=2250

I mean it kinda sucks, but is it enough to wanna start a riot? Because some people in Taiwan are rioting and protesting.

But on the good news, does that mean if I want to purchase another Tesla in the future, I can know that it will be alot more affordable? Will there be more price drops for the premium cars?

So what does that mean? Does that mean a new buyer who buys my exact configuration will only be saving $2250 over me, the earlier buyer?

Since 6000-3750=2250

I mean it kinda sucks, but is it enough to wanna start a riot? Because some people in Taiwan are rioting and protesting.

But on the good news, does that mean if I want to purchase another Tesla in the future, I can know that it will be alot more affordable? Will there be more price drops for the premium cars?
It depends which model car you purchased, and where you purchased, I heard for some people it dropped 100k USD overnight.

Since 6000-3750=2250

Some of these rioters lost significantly more than that:

Tesla owners literally protest over drastic price cuts

"In some markets, the higher-end versions of Model S and Model X have seen overnight price reductions of over $30,000.

One of those markets is Taiwan, where the price of a Model S P100D was cut almost in half by Tesla’s latest price changes – resulting in about $100,000 in savings."

Ouch.

Since 6000-3750=2250

That's only for Model 3 Owners and the difference is the minimum. Some 2018 AWD cars paid $4250 more than 2019 AWD cars. S and X P100D owners really got the shaft, especially in taiwan.

In the United States, Model X P100D was $140,00 in 2018. Same car is now $120,000.

The car that cost you $60000 - $7500 = $52500 then now costs $52000 - $3750 = $48250, a difference of $4250 less now. However the difference really depends on how you value EAP. In order to get the same feature set you need to include FSD which would bring the new cost to $57000 - $3750 = $53250. The difference is $750 more now. If the current FSD features are important to you and you would definitely include FSD in a new purchase then you are still ahead. This is the way I view it since I find those features useful and would pay for them again.

If EAP is off the table then we got the shaft.

The car that cost you $60000 - $7500 = $52500 then now costs $52000 - $3750 = $48250, a difference of $4250 less now. However the difference really depends on how you value EAP. In order to get the same feature set you need to include FSD which would bring the new cost to $57000 - $3750 = $53250. The difference is $750 more now. If the current FSD features are important to you and you would definitely include FSD in a new purchase then you are still ahead. This is the way I view it since I find those features useful and would pay for them again.

If EAP is off the table then we got the shaft.
Unless you ordered in early 2019 and get FSD for free or FSD for 5k... Pretty much no matter how you look at it in the end you paid more in 2018 for what you can get now.

Reactions: privater
So what does that mean for the new potential buyers who are still on the fence of buying a new Tesla, and they hear of this price drop? Could they also get shafted again in like 2020 when they hear of another price drop of the same car they bought? Because Elon stated that he can produce cheaper cars in the future.

And is the current savings for someone on the fence enough for them to just pull the trigger already?

Since electric cars have less moving parts to perform the same task as an ICE car, should that help make it cheaper as technology gets better? The motor of a Tesla looks very similar to a slot car, it doesn't seem as complicated as a gas engine.

So what does that mean for the new potential buyers who are still on the fence of buying a new Tesla, and they hear of this price drop? Could they also get shafted again in like 2020 when they hear of another price drop of the same car they bought? Because Elon stated that he can produce cheaper cars in the future.

And is the current savings for someone on the fence enough for them to just pull the trigger already?

Since electric cars have less moving parts to perform the same task as an ICE car, should that help make it cheaper as technology gets better? The motor of a Tesla looks very similar to a slot car, it doesn't seem as complicated as a gas engine.

No one knows. I think the best way to avoid this BS if you really want a tesla is to either lease or buy used.

• Informative
Reactions: privater

Take it with a grain of salt

Capture.PNG