Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did we pay more for tax incentive in 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car would cost almost 3K more if purchased today. I guess I got lucky.

2018 Pricing (June):
LR + PUP: $49,000
Red Paint: $1,000
Doc Fees: $1,000
Tax: $3,200
Federal Credit: $7,500
Mass tax credit: $2,500
TOTAL: ~$54,200
AP: $2,000 (purchased 3 days ago)
OUT OF POCKET: ~$46,300

2019 Pricing:
LR + PUP: $43,000
Red Paint: $2,500
Doc Fees: $1,200
AP: $3,000
Tax: $3,100
Federal Credit: $3,750
Mass tax credit: $0 (no credit for LR since 1/1/2019)
TOTAL: ~$52,800
OUT OF POCKET: ~$49,000
I also got free premium internet for life.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Oh please tell me about options!

Buying an option doesn't mean you have to be able to sell it.

Can you cite what markets you can buy an option on something but NOT sell one?

Or how bout what markets you can buy the thing an option gives you the right to buy later, and CAN'T SELL THE ACTUAL THING YOU GET?

It just means you didn't purchase anything except the right to get the something else at a future date for a future price -- in this case, when it is available, for a zero price

So first an option to buy at $0.00 is insanely counter to the fundamental ideal of the entire point of options, since there's no reason to ever choose NOT to exercise it- Second, there's no way to "not" exercise it with FSD so that' reason 327 your comparison is nonsense....and third, you don't GET a choice, Tesla repeatedly tells you your config HAS FSD and that can't be changed after you've "bought" it (not optioned it).

So wrong 3 ways just in that little error of understanding on your part!

. But you didn't get the thing itself -- just the right to get it in the future, at your option.

But again- that's not, at all, how buying FSD operates.

Some people with sufficient cognitive resources will understand that.

This certainly applies to at least one person in the thread.... you seem unclear on who though :)

• Funny
wow This thread OP was about comparing buying new Model 3s in 2018 vs waiting and buying now and the trade off getting the lower Tesla prices and configuration changes vs the lower tax credit. And I was addressing that point.

I simply observed that other car makers will lower their prices FOR THEIR NEW CARS in less transparent ways through dealer incentives which may or may not be passed on to the buyer.

And yet people can't help themselves careening from one confused topic to another: FSD delays and resale value for used cars; and refusing to comprehend the broader concept of optionality in transactions.

Can you cite what markets you can buy an option on something but NOT sell one?

lol. Nearly every investor rights or Buy-Sell agreement includes option provisions (the ability to put or call an asset to a counterparty under certain conditions and on certain terms) that are non-transferable and non-saleable.

Even in the narrow typical sense of option, normal employee stock options and warrants in conjunctions with other transactions will often not be transferable or saleable.

If you think options are just what you see in the movies you are confused.

Because I work with options, in both the narrow and broader sense, I see optionality everywhere in life. I find it useful to carve the world up that way. It clearly isn't useful for others. It's really just a boring semantic quibble.

Last edited:
Buying in 2018 was at least as good a deal -- primarily for the value of getting an awesome car earlier.

Sorry but it looks like buying in 2018 is not a good deal compared to buying in 2019. in most cases For most Model 3s, you are paying $2250 more. For the AWD, depending on when you bought, you could have been paying 4250 more. Plus there's state tax for cars and registration fees. Finally, there is the concept of time value of money you are ignoring.

There are a few exceptions of course. If you didn't buy EAP with the car, you got an awesome deal for regular AP. If you got red paint before they raised the prices, you got a good deal there. However in most cases, you're worse off buying in 2018.

Try to more clear in your posts. I thought you were talking about ordering the car, not fed.

This thread the tax credit.

You prepaid for FSD. Or you purchased on option to get FSD for $0 when it becomes available -- you locked in the price for when it becomes available with no promises as the timing of when it will become available. So what is complaint again? Try to be clear and precise in your use of words if you want to communicate effectively.

Seriously Tesla may not be the right car for you. I'm seeing lots of red flags that may frustrate your ability to enjoy the car.

You're implying that Tesla sold a financial instrument but unless it has been vetted by the SEC, I would not call it that.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
Technology changes, upgrades, and improves so fast, that one is unable to pick the best time to purchase. What is state or the art today with bleeding edge prices, fades away within a short period of time to the newly released state of the art tech.

You jump in when you can afford (or not) to have your piece of the latest greatest tech available. But be satisfied with what you decided on was worth the purchase at that time, or continue to wait for the best time to buy new tech with the never ending changes.

But to whine and complain about changes in the pricing of high tech, shows you are still thinking the old ICE automotive buying methods.

Tesla made 20-25% margin on the car they sold me, they almost went belly up in the process, but I understand they are attempting to change the world and if my extra $ spent helps get the mass production of affordable EV's up and running, then I have done something to help change the world.

Reactions: JG T3SLA
I'm in big big trouble. I have been converting my house into a smart house. I have been thinking the old real estate buying method. It's really just a computer on a foundation. I'm going to be losing hundreds of thousands of dollars on my resell.

wow!
does subaru make any PHEV? Do any PHEVs keep their value like that

Subaru just released a Crosstrek PHEV but it's bad. They put the battery in the cargo so you lose a ton of cargo space and no longer have a flat floor with the back seats down (the Crosstrek is fairly small to begin with).

The pure electric range is only 17 miles. It costs over $7000 above the most expensive non-phev Crosstrek..

My wife loves her Subaru and was really excited about the prospect of the PHEV, but after seeing it at the car show, I was extremely disappointed. I don't think they sell it in every state.

• Informative