Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did you buy FSD (Full Self-Driving)?

Did you buy FSD (Full Self-Driving)?

• Yes

Votes: 73 40.8%
  • No

Votes: 91 50.8%
  • No, but I do have EAP (Enhanced Autopilot)

Votes: 15 8.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These cars aren’t exactly cheap, so I’d imagine there’ll be a few people that have a little more disposable income buying them. If you’re spending a reasonable wedge, anyway, why not get the toys? I’m not suggesting everyone will think that way, but there will certainly be a few, such as me.

Yes and no, as many people this is their first new car and most expensive purchase having made a stretch to get one, then there are those who have or had a S/X and plenty of extra in savings to through at FSD etc

I wouldn't compare the experiences of basic Autopilot today with what people are posting that their FSD beta is capable of.

This 9 minute video shows the behaviour of production autopilot and FSD city streets beta for the same route and very similar conditions*. I've not listened to it, but by the looks of it, it reiterates my earlier comment.

[edit]* looks to be back to back journeys in same car, the difference being that FSD beta was enabled on second journey

Hopefully many aspects transferrable to standard autopilot even if junctions and NoA et. al. will be limited to FSD.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone who took part in my survey. :)

Where you surprised in the results? I was, given that ~50% of people had purchased FSD!

I'd have guessed that it would have followed the 80:20 rule, where 20% would had purchased FSD... It goes to show that a lot of people have great faith in Elon Musk... and I must be risk averse...

Anyway, given that around 30,000 M3's have been sold in the UK (according to https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?utf8=✓&q=tesla+model+3) , then Tesla are sitting on ~£75M just from the UK and probably 10 times that number world-wide! Convince more to purchase FSD (when it works) and Tesla are in for a nice windfall.

Personally, I didn't go with FSD because 1) I don't know how long I will keep the car, 2) It is quite expensive option 3) It does not work very well yet (if ever), 4) It could be purchased later on (when it works) and lastly 5) I quite like driving...

IMHO, I would prefer Elon works on getting the basics right (like wipers, auto lights, lane changing, phantom braking, UI, etc, etc.) as well as getting FSD to work... :rolleyes:

Reactions: Kenners
Anyway, given that around 30,000 M3's have been sold in the UK (according to https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?utf8=✓&q=tesla+model+3) , then Tesla are sitting on ~£75M just from the UK and probably 10 times that number world-wide! Convince more to purchase FSD (when it works) and Tesla are in for a nice windfall.

A even bigger windfall would be if Tesla could deliver what FSD beta is doing in the US but on UK roads. They could easily 'unlocked' another chunk of ££££ from those who haven't already signed up!

IMHO, I would prefer Elon works on getting the basics right (like wipers, auto lights, lane changing, phantom braking, UI, etc, etc.) as well as getting FSD to work... :rolleyes:

Me too, but Elon is a visionary and those things are mere boring details. Unfortunately FSD is a lot harder than Elon realised when he set sail down that path. But it’s not easy to turn that ship around now and deal with more practical issues like auto-lights and wipers.

What we have instead is a half baked dream which hints at brilliance, but falls over at almost every hurdle. It’s not even like standard AP is faultless yet with its simplified operational scope. Yet despite struggling to crawl, FSD still remains the main focus at the expense of everything else - except perhaps party tricks LOL!

Me too, but Elon is a visionary and those things are mere boring details. Unfortunately FSD is a lot harder than Elon realised when he set sail down that path. But it’s not easy to turn that ship around now and deal with more practical issues like auto-lights and wipers.

What we have instead is a half baked dream which hints at brilliance, but falls over at almost every hurdle. It’s not even like standard AP is faultless yet with its simplified operational scope. Yet despite struggling to crawl, FSD still remains the main focus at the expense of everything else - except perhaps party tricks LOL!
This is a genuine worry of mine, side projects that neglect the core in the end kill all products. You can argue FSD is core, but so is the rest of the stuff. Given he expects FSD to be the revenue generator (everyone making thousands sending their cars out to work) I think we know the basics are going to end up neglected. FFS more time is already spent on novelties!

I will take all this back if they can fix the crappy UI bodge!

I might be old school but I actually like driving so not really a fan of letting the car have all the fun. On long journeys on the motorway of many hours then of course AP is great to reduce the tiring nature of motorway driving but on A/B roads I would prefer to be in control at all times rather than having to jump in suddenly when the tech makes a bad call.

I might be old school but I actually like driving so not really a fan of letting the car have all the fun. On long journeys on the motorway of many hours then of course AP is great to reduce the tiring nature of motorway driving but on A/B roads I would prefer to be in control at all times rather than having to jump in suddenly when the tech makes a bad call.

The reality is that most people have a very boring traffic infested commute that offers zero driving pleasure. That and long dull motorway journeys are where automation would be most welcome.

Driving for pleasure is more of a hobby.