Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did you buy the Elon EOFY FSD upgrade? If so 2021 Q1 is the ETC :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I upgraded my EAP HW2.5 equiped 2018 MS on 30 June, hoping the increased processing power would help with cruise control reactions; and improve my car's resale when it's time to change, BUT after several calls, Tesla finally informed me the HW3 upgrades for Australia won't be available until 2021 Q1/Q2.

So for 6-12 months Tesla will have my money, and not provide the goods; which is something the ACCC should surely not be happy about.

Tesla's response is they could refund me the $3200, and when HW3 is available, I can pay $10000 to buy it again.

Without fishing out the ACL book I'm pretty sure the above isn't legal...

I upgraded my EAP HW2.5 equiped 2018 MS on 30 June, hoping the increased processing power would help with cruise control reactions; and improve my car's resale when it's time to change, BUT after several calls, Tesla finally informed me the HW3 upgrades for Australia won't be available until 2021 Q1/Q2.

So for 6-12 months Tesla will have my money, and not provide the goods; which is something the ACCC should surely not be happy about.

Tesla's response is they could refund me the $3200, and when HW3 is available, I can pay $10000 to buy it again.

The tesla marketing machine make a lot of promises that are carefully worded but will never be delivered.

I feel you, we're in the same boat as yourself....in Tesla's defence, I'm sure COVID has delayed things by a good margin....the upside, we may get HW4.0 if we have to wait long enough :D

I've got a Model X with HW2.5 and a Model 3 with HW3.0 and at this stage HW3.0 is nothing to get all hot and sticky about over HW2.5...."yet"....

Yes, I would make a complaint to the ACCC & follow them up
You could also threaten tribunal action (XCAT)
Do those things & the timeline will be brought forward
Also, a refund is not necessarily what a judge would decide. You have to factor in opportunity cost - Ironically, $3200 invested in Tesla shares in June 2018 would be worth over $20K today

Yes, I would make a complaint to the ACCC & follow them up
You could also threaten tribunal action (XCAT)
Do those things & the timeline will be brought forward
Also, a refund is not necessarily what a judge would decide. You have to factor in opportunity cost - Ironically, $3200 invested in Tesla shares in June 2018 would be worth over $20K today
Wouldn’t be banking on ACCC being helpful over $3200. They are quite open about the reality that they only pursue very large issues

1. Covid is not an excuse. These upgrades were paid for well before Covid and Tesla is continuing to manufacture.
2. The best action would be a group action. Tesla have responded to group action by owners in the past such as the European action on CCS upgrades.

I have no interest in a class/group action....Tesla said that they would upgrade our HW2.5 cars when the feature set in software was released in any given market that would require an upgrade from HW2.5 to HW3.0.

Whilst the software is now at a point where HW3.0 is required, this has only occurred during COVID, and I do think Tesla are well within their rights to delay the install considering our cars are functioning, they have given as a large discount etc.

Ask nicely to get in on Q1 installs when they occur...not long to wait....there are better things in life to worry about then HW2.5 or HW3.0....