Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did you ever measure your Model X Cabin Noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tesla ANC system is integrated with the audio system, so it should be able to determine which frequencies are coming from the radio/music and which are come from outside the audio system. But, until we hear it no one knows for sure.

i'd be curious how this sounds in real life. some people can't stand ANC. it doesn't bother me, but I still have ear fatigue after flying with ANC for any reasonable amount of time

i'd be curious how this sounds in real life. some people can't stand ANC. it doesn't bother me, but I still have ear fatigue after flying with ANC for any reasonable amount of time
I get ear fatigue when flying commercial with ANC, but I think that is more due to having to wear headphones to get the ANC. I have flown in private planes with cabin-wide ANC. They were quiet throughout the cabin and had none of the subtle pressure you feel with headphone-based ANCs. I am hoping the Tesla system is more like the private plane ANC experience.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
My X is relatively quiet, but I notice a tremendous difference over different pavement surfaces. it can go from ultra quiet to pretty noisy with just a change in pavement.
The latest adaptive suspension seems to quiet things down significantly as well.
I imagine the new refresh with included active noise supression will bring the quiet interior to a completely new level.
In addition, Tesla has introduced new, more efficient tires with this refresh. Imagine that will make the Model S & X some of the quieter cars on the road.
Are there more details about these tires on the refresh? Asking for myself...

Hi. Me again. Got a late 2019 (Raven) Dual Motor Long Range loaner from the service center today. Driving it around, it didn't strike me as particularly loud. Then I whipped out my phone.

Recall from my first post in this thread, both of my 2016 X's were around 60dB.

Using the exact same methodology on this car I averaged 72.

the loaner is running on 20", OEM cross contact

Apologies if this doesn't seem like it belongs in Driving Dynamics. Not sure what I was thinking. I guess the car has to be in motion (dynamic?) for road noise to matter. Anyway I must have changed my own opinion on this at some point: when I went to update it just now I couldn't even find my own thread because I was looking in "Interior / Exterior" ..

Are there more details about these tires on the refresh? Asking for myself...
Continental Sport Contact 6, see photo at

Not sure the tires will affect noise as much as the ANC?

My X is relatively quiet, but I notice a tremendous difference over different pavement surfaces. it can go from ultra quiet to pretty noisy with just a change in pavement.
The latest adaptive suspension seems to quiet things down significantly as well.
I imagine the new refresh with included active noise supression will bring the quiet interior to a completely new level.
In addition, Tesla has introduced new, more efficient tires with this refresh. Imagine that will make the Model S & X some of the quieter cars on the road.
I have noticed that my MX is not a quiet ride. In fact, it seems to amplify road noise. If I am on very new asphalt, the ride is super quiet but transition back to old pavement and it is like someone cranked up the volume on a rock station. I replaced my OEM Conti tires with Pirelli Scorpion Plus II tires at around 37,000 miles. They are a bit quieter but not by much. I am a bit disappointed by the fact that an electric car is noisier than a Honda or a Toyota ICE vehicle.

Reactions: teamwipe
Update.. the Nokian's I inherited on my "new" (used) P90D started getting louder after a few thousand miles.

I started this thread claiming they were ~62 dB using 'weighting Profile A'

That may have been true then, but they're much closer to 70 now.

And yes I'm trying to be consistent with my measuring methodology, ie average many readings from a variety of different road surfaces, always at 75mph, always holding the phone in the same way, always measuring with an unloaded car, empty cabin, etc..

Reactions: mike_j