Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did you get EAP? Why or why not? (Poll)

Did you get EAP? Why?

• Yes, got it before delivery, it’s worth it

Votes: 112 69.1%
  • Yes, got it before delivery, it wasn’t worth it

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Yes, got it after the free trial

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Yes, got it some other time, it was worth it

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Yes, got it some other time, it wasn’t worth it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I’m not interested in EAP’s features

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • No, I’m waiting for full self driving

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • No, I can’t afford it yet, hoping to get it eventually

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • No, I can’t afford it, and probably will never get it

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • No, some other reason (post a comment)

Votes: 14 8.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Deb, did you see that You Tube vid from a year or two ago where the Tesla exec is driving around town without touching the steering wheel? Stopping at red lights, and stop signs, taking turns letting him out at a strip mall and then continuing to park itself. That would have been on the V2, if not V1, chip. So, it's not that it doesn't work.
There is a big difference between staging a demo video (that probably left out the parts where the system didn't work so well) on a pre-defined route, and actually implementing a fully working self-driving system. If the system was as far along as you seem to think, we would have seen the autonomous coast-to-coast drive by now that was originally promised for 2017. Here's what Musk later said during an earnings call (emphasis mine):

“We could have done the coast-to-coast drive, but it would have required too much specialized code to effectively game it or make it somewhat brittle and that it would work for one particular route, but not the general solution."

Autonomous driving is one of those problems where the first 80% of the solution are easy, but the remaining 20% incredibly hard.

I almost bought it, then the trial came out. Initially I found the nags so pervasive, even with both hands constantly on the wheel as to be useless. Then I emailed my sales reps from the Tesla store where I purchased my X75D. The next day, either I changed over night and learned to use it better, or else it really seems like Tesla changed the settings on my car just for me, because the nags, while still a little excessive, became much more bearable. And after last night's 1-1/2 hour software update that installed the locking PIN thingy - I actually was able to let AP take over uninterrupted for some 10-mile stretches on 2-lane roads and it performed admirably. I will probably buy it soon, mostly to support Tesla.

And after last night's 1-1/2 hour software update that installed the locking PIN thingy - I actually was able to let AP take over uninterrupted for some 10-mile stretches on 2-lane roads and it performed admirably.

That is very interesting and very encouraging. I have been resisting and have not done any updates in my M3 since April fearing the nags. For me I don't care about any other cosmetic enhancements, if the nags increase then that is a show stopper.

Can someone also please verify if the nags are more bearable now compared to the last few updates?

Last edited:
That is very interesting and very encouraging. I have been resisting and have not done any updates in my M3 since April fearing the nags. For me I don't care about any other cosmetic enhancements, if the nags increase then that is a show stopper.

Can someone also please verify if the nags are more bearable now compared to the last few updates?

What version do you have? If you have not done an update since April do you still have the poor braking distances? I don’t consider that a “cosmetic” enhancement and surprised Tesla will let you skip that update.

I'm one week into my free EAP trial, and am still of the opinion that TACC is the only feature I want. Auto steer and auto lane change are fun to play with. They work remarkably well. Since you still should be in control of your vehicle, they don't really alleviate work from the driver. TACC does reduce stress in LA traffic. Have not found a need to try summon.

Tesla's implementation of adaptive cruise control is much smoother in its actions than the version in our 2017 Mazda CX-5. However, we love the Mazda's heads-up display.

I am on my last 2 days of the FREE TRIAL. Took a 2000 mile road trip and found I did NOT like most of the features that were available. As my Korean "son" said, "Don't get it Dad. It isn't smart enough yet". I must agree.

1. Did not like the self-driving mode.
2. Limited use of self-parking.
3. Summon was a novelty, but not a necessity.
4. The ability to maintain a speed and distance, both on the interstate and in street traffic, was the ONLY feature I found useful. I could not see paying $6000 just to add one feature on my car.
5. Since there was not a list or instructions for the trial version, I'm not sure if I missed any other options.

IF, I were given a CHOICE to pay for a single feature that I found useful, I probalby would pay $1000 (or some reasonable amount) for that feature only.

Unfortunately, as dealers seem to do, they only give you an "all or none" suite of features even if you do not want to use other features. I remember having that problem when I got my first Ford Fiesta. I wanted factory installed cruise control, but that was only available if I got a lot of extra stuff I did not want. Had to go to after-market to find it. Doubt I can get after-market with Tesla.

Darn right we ordered it. That being said - I'll only use it for certain scenarios where it makes sense.
My only experience with something similar was using "driver assist" in a 2018 Lexus RX loaner. (funny how we never hear news stories about those! but I digress..)
I don't know about where you guys live, but on the clogged east coast highways it can be really helpful. Having something more robust is going to be great.

When I ordered it at the time of purchase I felt like I couldn’t own a Tesla without it despite thinking I may not use it much.

After a couple of months of ownership, multiple ~280 road trips with more to come, EAP is a godsend. It is safer than me doing much of the driving and I am much less fatigued when I arrive at my destination.

The TACC and Lane Keeping Assist on our Acura are a joke compared to what the Tesla can do.

That said, $5K is a lot of money for the average use case. Before I needed to take these road trips I likely overpaid for EAP, now I cannot imagine not having it.

yeah, my current Subaru does almost everything EAP does for $2k. The only thing it won't do is auto-lane change, which is a non-issue for me. I find I almost never use these features on the Subaru, so paying $5k for it is laughable for me. If it cost $2k or less, I'd have bought it in a second. But not at this price point...
Subaru has a legit auto steer feature on par with Tesla? I find this hard to believe. We are not talking about a lane-keep assist and adaptive cruise combo (which is what most manufacturers offer). EAP is FAR better than anything else out right now from what I've read. GM's Super Cruise is supposed to be good, but is only available on certain highways.

I find EAP to be pretty much flawless on the highway and is MUCH better than my buddy's '18 Audi S4's system. The Tesla recognizes lanes in the heaviest rain storms, while the Audi fails miserably. Audi's system is only designed to nudge you back in the lane when you drift near the lines whereas Tesla's is a full-time level-2 type system. I suspect the Subaru system is similar to Audi's not Tesla's.

I got brave enough to try AutoPark and it did work fine. I was nervous but it backed into a space between two cars (not parallel parking).
Same here. I chickened out the first 3 attempts. Eventually I got a backbone and let it perform the 3-point maneuver. Works great once you have confidence it will actually stop before hitting the guy parked next to you.

Reactions: 9erDog

Hold the steering wheel at the 5 or 7 o'clock position 1-handed. Let the steering wheel support the weight of your arm and auto steer pull your arm as it moves. Do not use 2 hands. Holding the wheel this way provides the resistance torque the system is looking for while not causing you any fatigue. It is not enough resistance to shut EAP off. I NEVER get nag alerts driving this way.

Reactions: ksb467
I'm just not interested enough to pay that much money for it.

I rarely encounter stop-and-go traffic and, if I'm going to get a car with the Model 3's driving dynamics, I'd rather drive it myself.

And I can always add it after the fact if I change my mind.

Reactions: Electroman
The new i-pace; I wish they wouldn't call it an SUV in USA ...

Screen Shot 2018-09-10 at Sep 10, 8.32.54 AM .png