Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did you get EAP? Why or why not? (Poll)

Did you get EAP? Why?

• Yes, got it before delivery, it’s worth it

Votes: 112 69.1%
  • Yes, got it before delivery, it wasn’t worth it

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Yes, got it after the free trial

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Yes, got it some other time, it was worth it

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Yes, got it some other time, it wasn’t worth it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I’m not interested in EAP’s features

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • No, I’m waiting for full self driving

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • No, I can’t afford it yet, hoping to get it eventually

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • No, I can’t afford it, and probably will never get it

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • No, some other reason (post a comment)

Votes: 14 8.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got it after wife talked with neighbor has a Model S. He convinced her that we have to get it. I was skeptical at first but am using it regularly. TACC is stress reducing and auto steer works well most of the time. Auto lane change works okay but it is overly conservative (which is fine by me as that makes it safer). I'm afraid to really try Auto Park and Summon just yet.

your poll sucks and doesn't even include FSD options...
I intentionally didn’t include those options, as I wanted to make it easier to visualize the results, it’s hard to tell what portion of results go to what if there’s too many options. I felt like this was a good balance between detailed options and easily scannable results. Feel free to make a better poll with FSD details of your own, rather than just insulting this one.

Also since FSD isn’t available yet, and the intention of this poll is largely to gain how much people enjoy EAP and when they got it, it wouldn’t be very relevant anyway.

I'm missing an option. I am currently trialing EAP and mildly interested in some of the features, but don't think it's a good enough value for me personally to justify the current price (which has nothing to do with not being able to afford it). I may still get it if either the price comes down or the capabilities are significantly improved.

BTW, the Jaguar I-Pace has a system with very similar capabilities and it costs $1300 ...

Didn't order it and likely won't add it. Most of my driving is on mountain roads and canyons where EAP does not work presently and is unlikely to work well/safety for some time (unmarked unpaved roads, two lane with no center line, very tight turns, significant grades where cameras won't see road ahead, etc).

If I was in stop and go traffic or interstates often enough, I would get it.

Reactions: APotatoGod
It is a little ironic to get a P3D and FSD/EAP. Because if you are using them, the P isn't being used. Don't expect FSD to ever enable ludicrous mode!

My experience is that EAP is precisely for those situations where it is not possible to enjoy the driving experience/take advantage of performance, such as stop and go traffic and long highway stretches.

I'm missing an option. I am currently trialing EAP and mildly interested in some of the features, but don't think it's a good enough value for me personally to justify the current price (which has nothing to do with not being able to afford it). I may still get it if either the price comes down or the capabilities are significantly improved.

BTW, the Jaguar I-Pace has a system with very similar capabilities and it costs $1300 ...

yeah, my current Subaru does almost everything EAP does for $2k. The only thing it won't do is auto-lane change, which is a non-issue for me. I find I almost never use these features on the Subaru, so paying $5k for it is laughable for me. If it cost $2k or less, I'd have bought it in a second. But not at this price point...

I got it but have yet to use it and probably won't for a month or so. I've only had the M3 for a couple of weeks and want to make sure I feel comfortable enough to jump in and take over immediately before I start testing it. I'm 70 and have high hopes that before I start to become a menace on the road that the self driving technology will be a lot further along. Of course a lot of that will also depend on external factors such as V2V communication becoming available along with other technologies that will help guide vehicles along temporary paths in construction zones, etc.

Reactions: dhrivnak
I did not get it and am trying it out now with the 14 day trial. I wish I could get TACC only. To me, having to keep my hands on the wheel and eyes always on the road, just in case, is not restful or enjoyable. If anything it is more stressful. It may be because I'm just not used to it yet. Paying $6000 just for TACC is too much. I wish there had been an option in the poll for "I didn't get it, not worth it to me", rather than I can't afford it.

I got mine before delivery. I knew I wanted it as I drive around 100miles a day almost all freeway. It has made my commute a lot more relaxing...mostly. Yeah there was that one time the car decided to be as$hole and break check the person I just passed, but it hasn't happened since. My car just has attitude... yeah that's the ticket ;)

• Funny
Reactions: Santa Claws
Got it after wife talked with neighbor has a Model S. He convinced her that we have to get it. I was skeptical at first but am using it regularly. TACC is stress reducing and auto steer works well most of the time. Auto lane change works okay but it is overly conservative (which is fine by me as that makes it safer). I'm afraid to really try Auto Park and Summon just yet.
AutoPark work great. Does a good job of centering the car between two others. I even "backs and fills" if a single arch can't cut tight enough. I am skeptical about lane keep. I had test drive in M3 yesterday on I-95 around Boston, same as I-495 around DC or Baltimore. The road is a constant arch. I was going counter-clockwise and the car, twice, sure felt like it was going to slide into traffic in the adjacent driver side lane. When mine arrives I'll have to play with it without adjacent traffic.

As the title says, why did or didn’t you get EAP?
FSD was the reason I got EAP. Likely since 1980 I've had cruise control. In 2012 I bought a Prius Plugin Advanced with radar assisted cruise control. That is a quantum leap beyond straight cruise control. TACC sounds like Toyota's radar assisted cruise control. Someone buying the Tesla as a sports car likely won't want it. I, and the wife, are retired. I see FSD as future-proofing our mobility. It's less expensive to order it with the car. When Tesla comes out with Level 5 or 6 autonomous driving support it'll likely be greatly more expensive. It could be twice as much or more. Prices don't go down and software development isn't cheap. Tesla, with V9 (or maybe 8) will begin delivering FSD features.