Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did you get PPF and Ceramic for your Model 3? [POLL]

Did you get PPF or Ceramic coat for your model 3?

• Yes, I got both

Votes: 56 42.7%
  • Nope, I got neither

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • I only got PPF

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • I only got Ceramic

Votes: 15 11.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
PPF is expensive and seems like overkill. Never needed it, not sure why it's suddenly crazy to not have it.

I did the Ceramic coating myself. First time, DIY with a buddy. Wash/Decon/Polish/Ceramic took us about 8.5 hours and we'd never done it before. Since he had a DA polisher, spent <$100 on it with Cquartz UK 3.0.

My car didn't come washed, so I want it looking better than when I took it home. I haven't washed it yet, I figure I'll let the PPF shop do it correctly in their own way.

I'm still waiting for my appt to get PPF and ceramic. Trying to drive it very often if at all, just got V9 this morning... this is torture.

My car didn't come washed either, honestly I'm still pissed about it

My car didn't come washed either, honestly I'm still pissed about it

Don't be. They clearly washed ours before delivery and left awful holograms and swirls in the hood (basically what would happen if you just try to wet and wipe lots of sitting dust and debris). The hood looked absolutely awful in the sunlight (our delivery happened in the shade so we didn't see it until days later). I had to do a careful polish of the hood - not a big deal for me since I have decent autocare equipment and products but otherwise I'd have been pretty peeved.

IMG_0594.jpeg

I wasn't going to do either, but 3 weeks after delivery I let my kids wash my car with the same microfiber cloth I used for my other car (big big mistake) and then went to AutoAction detailer for window tinting one day and they found lot of swirl and scratches on the hood when under the light. I ended up doing partial PPF on high impact areas and full ceramic pro 9H gold package. now it looks amazing but will wait and see how well it handles it and how good it looks.
I also did the Ceramic pro 9h four layer gold package with two step paint correction. Looks amazing. Time will tell how it holds up.

PPF is expensive and seems like overkill. Never needed it, not sure why it's suddenly crazy to not have it.

I did the Ceramic coating myself. First time, DIY with a buddy. Wash/Decon/Polish/Ceramic took us about 8.5 hours and we'd never done it before. Since he had a DA polisher, spent <$100 on it with Cquartz UK 3.0.

This makes the most sense and is what I did as well

Same here no PPF only diy ceramic and was well worth it. With a $200 materials budget have enough material left to recondition 3 other cars. My OBM looks amazing IMHO.
IMG_5579.JPG IMG_5452.JPG
IMG_5602.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: redscott
I did my full front end and rear bumper PPF. And honestly after doing a 2500 mile road trip, I think the front bumper is really the only area that gets hit badly. It was covered with bugs and debris, but very little seemed to come up and actually hit the hood and fenders.

I do think there is a little PPF/ ceramic hysteria with Tesla owners. I have owned a lot of cars, and most more expensive than the 3. PPF used to be reserved for the exotics/ more expensive cars, where $2k- 5k was a small % of the cars value. Now I see folks spending 10% of the car’s new value in PPF wraps and such and it’s crazy to me. My PPF installer said that the growth category in his business has been primarily Tesla owners. And that by numbers he does more PPF full wraps on Teslas vs any other car make. Hmmm

Don’t even get me started on the ceramic craze. Can someone show me how it’s truly easier to clean than a regular high quality wax or sealant? I still need the buckets, I still need the soap, I still need to touch lightly and properly... If someone can make a paint coating that allows a legitimate water rinse only wash (no need to still get two buckets and touch the car), and was impervious to water spotting during the drying process, then I would get the hype. Also, riddle me this, if these coating are so tough and “permanent”, why is every one of them scared to go through an automatic car wash? Why do all of them caution for a hand wash only maintenance cycle, and annual (or sooner) touch ups/ gloss enhancers. Hmmm, sounds like the same requirements as a high quality wax/ sealant....

Now before I get my head chopped off my ceramic lovers. I am not saying they aren’t a good technology, or an evolution from something like a Zaino (which I still use and love). But I would love to see if people could tell the difference between a two identical model 3s that have both been paint corrected (which is what I think is giving the bulk of visual benefit) one ceramic coated car, and one with a high quality wax and sealant (Topcoat is pretty interesting right now)

Last edited:
The price of a front bumper replacement is ~$300. Why are some people paying $500+ to PPF it ??

Because the car looks like crap with rock chips & dings. Especially with such a big beautiful bumper on the Model 3, any blemishes you have on there will be pretty noticeable right away. Unlike other cars with grilles that tend to hide the frontal rock damage. With PPF, most of the rock impact will be absorbed and self healed with no visible damages, and no damage under the wrap. The result is a longer lasting good looking car. If you don't care about that kind of stuff, then obviously PPF is of no use to you.

I would personally prefer to avoid having to take my car in to the body shop often.

Nope. No point. Been there done that. Got over it. Use to get it for my cars but now I find it no point. It’s the same in the end. I’ll just sell it. No difference with or without these invisible stuff.

If I lived in a Snowy gravel prone city maybe. But not in so cal.

I did my full front end and rear bumper PPF. And honestly after doing a 2500 mile road trip, I think the front bumper is really the only area that gets hit badly. It was covered with bugs and debris, but very little seemed to come up and actually hit the hood and fenders.

I do think there is a little PPF/ ceramic hysteria with Tesla owners. I have owned a lot of cars, and most more expensive than the 3. PPF used to be reserved for the exotics/ more expensive cars, where $2k- 5k was a small % of the cars value. Now I see folks spending 10% of the car’s new value in PPF wraps and such and it’s crazy to me. My PPF installer said that the growth category in his business has been primarily Tesla owners. And that by numbers he does more PPF full wraps on Teslas vs any other car make. Hmmm

Don’t even get me started on the ceramic craze. Can someone show me how it’s truly easier to clean than a regular high quality wax or sealant? I still need the buckets, I still need the soap, I still need to touch lightly and properly... If someone can make a paint coating that allows a legitimate water rinse only wash (no need to still get two buckets and touch the car), and was impervious to water spotting during the drying process, then I would get the hype. Also, riddle me this, if these coating are so tough and “permanent”, why is every one of them scared to go through an automatic car wash? Why do all of them caution for a hand wash only maintenance cycle, and annual (or sooner) touch ups/ gloss enhancers. Hmmm, sounds like the same requirements as a high quality wax/ sealant....

Now before I get my head chopped off my ceramic lovers. I am not saying they aren’t a good technology, or an evolution from something like a Zaino (which I still use and love). But I would love to see if people could tell the difference between a two identical model 3s that have both been paint corrected (which is what I think is giving the bulk of visual benefit) one ceramic coated car, and one with a high quality wax and sealant (Topcoat is pretty interesting right now)

Absolutely agree on it. I have full wrap & ceramic on my wife’s model 3 because she wants matte finish this time and the installer give a good deal for a bundle deal. I didn’t wrap my F01, G12 and I got the unlimited wash pass from the local car wash site. I wash 2-3 times a week and have it detail once a year better than I need to hand wash my wifey’s full PPF & ceramic coat model 3!

We got PPF front end done on both. My wife wants easy maintenance, so I applied ceramic coating on hers. Ymmv, but it was pretty easy to do so I don't see a need to pay $900+ for a detailer to do it. So easy to wash and/or use a quick detailer.

I actually enjoy maintaining my car. So even though the ceramic coating on the wifey's car works great, I applied sealant and wax on mine. I like the look of the combination much better than with ceramic coating and I don't mind applying wax quarterly and sealant semi-annually.
What sealant are you using? Do you apply the sealant to the ppf also?