Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did you guys shop around before deciding on the Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I looked at three other cars.

The Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti
Mercedes CLA(Between a 250 and a 35AMG)
BMW 330i

I’ve had two other 3 series’(E90 330i and bought my 328i when I sold my 330i). Over the years I’ve lost interest in BMW’s, they’re philosophy has been lost over the last decade.

As for pricing and whatnot with the M and premium packages, the car was around 53k before taxes and whatnot. As I’ve mentioned above, BMW has lost what made it is the ultimate driving machine. I didn’t think it was worth the price and as I’ve had a couple BMW’s, I thought it was time to move on to something new.

The CLA was something I thought about buying a few years back when I got rid of my E350. But as was the case then there were better options out in the market.

The Alfa. I really love this car, I couldn’t find a single problem worth it. The pricing, the power, the exterior and the interior are flawless. I would’ve pulled the trigger but I had concerns that the model would change in the upcoming year.

So, did you guys look around before pulling the trigger on the Tesla?

P.S. If this isn’t the right place to discuss, my apologizes. I thought since this is the ordering place and some of us are waiting, we can discuss at other cars we looked at prior.

Reactions: SummerlinChiro
Back in 2015 when I got the 2014 Honda Crosstour, I did a lot of shopping around. I basically went to every dealership and drove at least one, usually two different vehicles.

In 2019, we didn't do this in person. The 2015 adventure gave a good enough picture of what was available in 2019, except for the whole EV thing. We were looking for either a PHEV that could do 120km electric-only (doesn't exist here, boooo), a good hybrid, or full EV. Preferably AWD, because snow.

Most of my "shopping around" in 2019 was online, comparing things and looking things up. I honestly and truly like the Chevy Bolt, probably more than the Model 3. But we needed the higher range and probably the charging network when we dipped into the US. We were also debating a Subaru Crosstrek (wife really wanted an Impreza prior to all this, Crosstrek is that but higher basically).

We obviously have different perspectives on car purchases (while I enjoy the power, I drive the Model 3 like an old man most of the time). I don't regret the Model 3 purchase (despite finding even more to dislike about Tesla as a company after, ugh), but I do hope there's a 300+mi EV hatchback available in the near future. That's what I really want, and it isn't here yet.

I looked at three other cars.

The Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti
Mercedes CLA(Between a 250 and a 35AMG)
BMW 330i

I’ve had two other 3 series’(E90 330i and bought my 328i when I sold my 330i). Over the years I’ve lost interest in BMW’s, they’re philosophy has been lost over the last decade.

As for pricing and whatnot with the M and premium packages, the car was around 53k before taxes and whatnot. As I’ve mentioned above, BMW has lost what made it is the ultimate driving machine. I didn’t think it was worth the price and as I’ve had a couple BMW’s, I thought it was time to move on to something new.

The CLA was something I thought about buying a few years back when I got rid of my E350. But as was the case then there were better options out in the market.

The Alfa. I really love this car, I couldn’t find a single problem worth it. The pricing, the power, the exterior and the interior are flawless. I would’ve pulled the trigger but I had concerns that the model would change in the upcoming year.

So, did you guys look around before pulling the trigger on the Tesla?

P.S. If this isn’t the right place to discuss, my apologizes. I thought since this is the ordering place and some of us are waiting, we can discuss at other cars we looked at prior.
We’ve been looking recently at replacing our M3 (or S depending on what we find).

We still haven’t found an ICE car that beats the M3 performance for a similar price. We did like the Alfa’s (both Giulia and Stevio). They perhaps were more fun to drive, although still lacking EV instant torque.

We’ve been looking recently at replacing our M3 (or S depending on what we find).

We still haven’t found an ICE car that beats the M3 performance for a similar price. We did like the Alfa’s (both Giulia and Stevio). They perhaps were more fun to drive, although still lacking EV instant torque.

Indeed. I test-drove the Ti, and the salesman told me to punch it and that thing just danced. He was like “wait till you get into a Quadrifoglio.” I smiled and said maybe in a couple more years. But the Alfa will definitely be a car I’ll revisit in a few years when I get done paying for the Model 3.

Reactions: BlindPass
Indeed. I test-drove the Ti, and the salesman told me to punch it and that thing just danced. He was like “wait till you get into a Quadrifoglio.” I smiled and said maybe in a couple more years. But the Alfa will definitely be a car I’ll revisit in a few years when I get done paying for the Model 3.
He wasn’t wrong, it’s a fun CUV, particularly for ICE. But in a few years I imagine they’re be some even better EVs to choose from in that price range.

I’m surprised more manufacturers haven’t gone the Porsche route of making PHEV’s the top of the line trim. Add some electric torque and you could have a very quick car with good mpg and range. We have the X5 PHEV and it’s a great road trip car, I just wish it was more EV and less ICE.

Reactions: RedWhite19
I came to Tesla while trying to get out from under BMW - I loved my 2012 335i, my wife loved hers, then the warranties expired and within a few months we blew through $5k for small repairs that I just don't agree with - such as $1700 over a valve cover gasket leak @Only 44k miles.

The main reason was I was no longer comfortable driving the 335, especially on a road trip, as I'd only be waiting for the check engine soon light to come on again; to queue me that it was time for another potential multi-thousand dollar repair. So I lost confidence regardless of the stats.

After shopping around, the M3 was the only car that I felt met or exceeded my expectations, and removed most of the repair types I've been dealing wtih from an ICE standpoint. Then I drove an M3 performance and that was it. Ordered that day and can't wait for it to arrive. :D

Short answer is no.

Long answer is a Model 3 isn’t exactly what I was looking for. Growing up I was into RC cars and I gravitated towards electrics as opposed to gas cars. When I got older and into real cars, I gravitated towards Mustangs for the ‘cheap speed’ and styling (2 door, 2+2). Fast forward 25 years (uhh), the itch of going electric was starting to bug me. Not just any electric (ie Bolt, Prius, etc won’t do), but an inexpensive, sporty EV. Closest thing to (somewhat) relieve the itch is a Model 3 Performance. I would still prefer a sportier, 2-door, 2+2 variant EV though.

He wasn’t wrong, it’s a fun CUV, particularly for ICE. But in a few years I imagine they’re be some even better EVs to choose from in that price range.

I’m surprised more manufacturers haven’t gone the Porsche route of making PHEV’s the top of the line trim. Add some electric torque and you could have a very quick car with good mpg and range. We have the X5 PHEV and it’s a great road trip car, I just wish it was more EV and less ICE.
Perhaps but I think there is something special of hearing your car just screaming at you as your hauling ***. I believe it was BMWI8 that had the fake noise, which was comical.

Perhaps but I think there is something special of hearing your car just screaming at you as your hauling ***. I believe it was BMWI8 that had the fake noise, which was comical.
I won’t disagree, there are times in which I miss that, particularly when it’s a result of a perfectly timed shift.

But after having EV torque now for 6+ years, there’s also something special with inconspicuously overtaking someone or going 3.2 or better off the line with what seems like no effort. I used to miss the feedback of noise and shifting, but now it screams “trying too hard“.

I won’t disagree, there are times in which I miss that, particularly when it’s a result of a perfectly timed shift.

But after having EV torque now for 6+ years, there’s also something special with inconspicuously overtaking someone or going 3.2 or better off the line with what seems like no effort. I used to miss the feedback of noise and shifting, but now it screams “trying too hard“.

For a related but completely different reason, I miss driving my 2008 smart fortwo (gasoline version). The automated manual transmission shifting was terrible, but you could do some weird trickery between throttle input and "manually" shifting that could cause it to shift faster and punch the clutch out harder. All the management of that kind of lended its own fun. Highway driving dynamics were horrendous (literally at the edge of understeer going the speed limit on mountain highways), but around or between towns it was a strange fun.

It also died before it reached 100,000km, as the gasoline versions tend to do :/

Reactions: SummerlinChiro
Neither my wife or I had any interest in getting a new car, we wouldn't have bought anything. Our cars are paid off and still work, so why spend any money? But my wife is a super tech person so the ipad on teh dash + all electric and finally less than $50k is what lured her in.

IMO, I don't think you can bundle a model 3/Y in with other cars. The differences are so significant, you might as well only have two categories: Tesla, and everything else is a distant second. Which admittedly sounds like fanboy garbage but I really believe it isn't.

1. super simplified interior.
2. super simplified engineering (motor / battery pack design / location, and not a EV converted ICE design .. its an EV design). also no complicated crap pushing the envelope with a gas engine or transmission that will break at some point. its a battery, and it makes an electric motor spin. that's it.
3. super simplified ownership (no gas to pump, no engine oil to change, no smog testing to do when it gets older, etc).
4. supercharger network.
5. Its electric. The regen / one pedal driving is so distinct, I don't know how it can ignored. IMO its the better way to drive, and I can't imagine going back to wasting energy dumping heat into a brake pad to slow down. It just seems absurd to me at this point.
6. it is made out of aluminum. Which is kind of cool, and also a curse.

Certainly other EVs are showing up from other manufacturers but I still think Tesla has a huge lead in design and owner experience.

I will say I have concern for people that are willing to include Tesla in with other gas cars as if they are interchangeable .. not at all because I am a Tesla snob or elitist, but because Tesla is not exactly great on teh quality and customer service sides, and other brands / ICE cars are much better in that regard IMO. Anyone who could truly consider a non Tesla instead of a Tesla might be very, very disappointed if they weren't "all in" on owning a Tesla because of what the car is.

I sure hope you drove a Model 3, even a non-P 3, before asking the question. I'm probably more than a bit biased, but I can't imagine the Giulia Ti can hold a candle to a 3. The instant throttle response is otherworldly, fuel economy is excellent, noise is almost definitely better than any of the cars you've mentioned(at full throttle, anyway!), and you have no maintenance costs to look forward to.

To answer your question... I placed my preorder on 3/31/2016, probably the 10th in line at the only sales outlet in MA at the time.

I sure hope you drove a Model 3, even a non-P 3, before asking the question. I'm probably more than a bit biased, but I can't imagine the Giulia Ti can hold a candle to a 3. The instant throttle response is otherworldly, fuel economy is excellent, noise is almost definitely better than any of the cars you've mentioned(at full throttle, anyway!), and you have no maintenance costs to look forward to.

To answer your question... I placed my preorder on 3/31/2016, probably the 10th in line at the only sales outlet in MA at the time.
Have you test drove an Alfa Romeo Ti? That thing drives and sounds like a dream. I don’t really mind additionally costs that come with a gas powered vehicle. And I prefer the interior of the Alfa, which I like the fact they give you the option for the premium audio system, where with the Tesla you have to buy a LR, which is hogwash.

I haven't test driven an Alfa Romeo Ti, but if you are not considering the LR, I could understand the Alfa having more appeal. I guess I was just assuming the LR AWD(or more) based on the other cars on your consideration list, even though the 330i is RWD.

I should add that the 3, particularly the non-LR variants, are not real good for road trips. They have LOTS of luggage room and are quite comfortable for four people(tolerable for five), but road tripping is not great. If it were my only car I'd definitely get an LR AWD, and maybe not even try a 3 if I did LOTS of long distance (>200 mile) drives.

Don't forget about non-maintenance cost-of-ownership. I'm pretty sure any of the other cars you mentioned will depreciate far faster than a Tesla. I'd recommend considering a slightly used AWD or performance model, but I understand they are still quite expensive.

Last edited:
I haven't test driven an Alfa Romeo Ti, but if you are not considering the LR, I could understand the Alfa having more appeal. I guess I was just assuming the LR AWD(or more) based on the other cars on your consideration list, even though the 330i is RWD.

I’m not really interested in range. I’ll still have my 3 series, so my Model 3 will be my weekend car, where I won’t plan on long trips with it(and when and if I do take longer trips, I’ll just rent as I’ve always done).

I also prefer RWD over AWD. I live in SoCal where I don’t have to worry about cold weather and once and a while you do enjoy pulling out the back a bit :p.

Regardless, I looked towards my model 3 coming in.

Reactions: BlindPass
We had planned on getting a new Honda Accord, but decided to hold off until after the 2021 refresh. The 3 made a lot of sense as I commute 80+ miles everyday, so I went ahead and pulled the trigger. Seeing gas prices slowly creep up again factored into my decision. I suspect many Accord/Camry loyalists have hopped onto the Tesla bandwagon. Can't say I blame them...

Reactions: RedWhite19
I'm probably the example of extreme determination. I was waiting for my previous car to die after it reached age 30 (a very rewarding Mercedes 190 E automatic). Already before eventually a steering tie rod broke, I already knew the next car would be the Model 3.

I didn't visit any car dealer or any Tesla Service Center. I just sat down at the computer and clicked the few checkboxes to order the Tesla, which I received in March 2020. Happy with it ever since.